• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Cam Chain Tensioner Piston Upgrade Kit /worse!

gags

2000 r1150gs Cam chain tensioner upgrade kit made it worse!

Just replaced the old oem. cam chain tensioner (17mm nut) with upgrade kit from Beemershop (15mm). Easy job and starting up the engine ran very smooth with no discernible click/clack sound -a big difference to the old.. Took the bike for a ride and after 5min of easy riding the left hand side started to make a much worse click/clack sound than ever before. Could the new tensioner be defect? I’ll put the old one back to see if it goes back to what it was. Anything else I should check?

Last edited:
I had a similar problem with a new tensioner and never did figure out what was wrong with it. Upgraded my 850R from the old to the new style with a new-old-stock part that had been new in the bag for a few years without being installed, and it made my cam chain clacking on startup worse. This was maybe 6 or so months ago and I've just had the old tensioner in since. I bought another new tensioner piston to replace it but haven't gotten around to installing it yet.

Since the newer version has no spring, but has a different piston arrangement, I'd have to think that either one of the piston pieces got smashed, or, more likely, that one or both of the oil-control holes got clogged. If any kind of sealant is used under the copper washer, it would be pretty easy to get a little into that tiny outer hole.

Embarrassing Solution....

Since the newer version has no spring, but has a different piston arrangement, I'd have to think that either one of the piston pieces got smashed, or, more likely, that one or both of the oil-control holes got clogged. If any kind of sealant is used under the copper washer, it would be pretty easy to get a little into that tiny outer hole.

The Beemershop advised that maybe I had installed the piston upside down. I opened it up today and sure enough I had dropped it in the wrong way..
Started up after re-inserting the right way and it runs smooth like a sewing machine..

My embarrassment is only superseded by my happiness of that it seems that nothing broke inside the engine.. :blush

Thank you all for your input!

Back