• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Buying an 03 F650GS questions

R

RAYGUN

I am picking up a gs Friday. I am not familar with these bikes and have a lot of questions.

1). What problems are inherent of the 03 models?

2). What grade of oil to run with a wet clutch?

3). What mods are needed to prolong an extended life?

Etc. Etc.

Thanks for the advice of those who have traveled this road before me.

Ray

F650 Gs -

Hi Ray,

"F" stand for Forever bike - Contratulations1

I own a '03 and have had NO problems with the bike - rode it from Minneapolis to West Bend, WI rally and to Gillette, WY this summer. I'll have to get a current picture for you but it has CATZ driving lights, GPS, heated grips, Cee Bailey windscreen, LED modulating brake light.

Up until last service, I only put in the BMW 10W-50W - if you look at a thread called Mechanic Put Mobil One in my F650 you'll read that it seems to be okay for the bike - finding neutral is a lot easier.

50+ miles per gallon, nimble, light, handles great - I think you'll be very happy with yours!

Thanks, I've got a lot to learn of the bike. I also need to find side cases that fit on it. It has knobs out the side covers above exhaust on both sides for some sort of luggage. I just need to find what will fit it and is the least expensive.

OK, I know were supposed to be hard core BMW riders here, BUT I test rode a Suzuki V-STROM . they come in 650cc for $6500.00 new and $8000.00 for the 1000cc v-twin that I rode. I've never owned a Suzuki, but I think their V-Strom is a better value for the money. IMHO:stick

03 F650gs

Go to f650.com (The Chain Gang). There is more information at that site than you could process in a month of Sundays. Sundays when you aren't riding that is. Any maintenance problem that has come up on the F650 is there, to include how to fix any and all of the problems. You can also download the entire shop manual there, and get a three DVD how to set. I've had two F650s, a '99 and now my '03. The two most common problems seem to be the OEM steering head bearings will "go out" at 15 to 25,000 miles and the OEM water pump seals tend to "go out" at 35 to 40,000 miles. All motorvehicles have their quirks. One of the best quirks about the F650GS is that no one will believe what you get for mileage. What is really great about the BMWMOA and the Chain Gang is the unlimited support that you will get here on the net. Enjoy your F650, it will literally last forever if maintained.

Bag Options

It has knobs out the side covers above exhaust on both sides for some sort of luggage. I just need to find what will fit it and is the least expensive.

The knobs you described sound like they are for the BMW System cases. They run about $800 new and in my opinion are not worth the money; they are side opening; expandable and made of a combination of plastic and aluminum. My wife has Jessie Bags (top opening solid aluminum) on her F650 and they are great, but will run about $1050. I've seen some folks with Happy Trails aluminum, top opening bags and they appear to be good quality; they run around $600.

Heretic ÔÇô Blasphemer!!

OK, I know were supposed to be hard core BMW riders here, BUT I test rode a Suzuki V-STROM . they come in 650cc for $6500.00 new and $8000.00 for the 1000cc v-twin that I rode. I've never owned a Suzuki, but I think their V-Strom is a better value for the money. IMHO:stick

Get the stake, straw and torches ready!

Side Bags

I installed the Happy Trails (I think that's their name - sure sounds good) and then put Pelican cases on the bike - they are AWESOME and a much more economical alternative to BMW Bags. I promise to take some pics of my bike and post them as soon as I can get to it.

Rode the bike home today. First ride ever on a GS. I was extremely impressed. The handling was superb and the response was good. The ride home had 6 miles of wet gravel and mud roads and it would handle them well above 55mph. Just got done washing and polishing it before the wife comes home to have a look see.

Thanks for all the responses. Only question I have now is how can you tell which version you have, the 37kw or the 25kw?

Back