• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Brush guard recommendations for F650GS Twin

romany

I'm in need of a set of brush guards for my 08 F650GS. I want them primarily for rain protection for my hands. I live on Vancouver Island and it's going to start raining here soon for about the next four months. The BMW guards are $250 here in Canada, Tourtech are about $200 with the extra extension piece and shipping and Acerbis Dual Road Handguards $111. They seem small. Anyone want to wade in with an opinion? Has anyone fitted the Acerbis guards? Has anyone installed the Tourtech gurads - with or without the plastic extension?

I put Bark Busters on Annie's GS. Cannot remember the cost. They were easy to install and they use an aluminium bar as the backbone of the guards... very sturdy.
EDIT: Found them at Twisted Throttle, and great news.... they come in PINK!!!!

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade/productview/5543/691/

JasperParkJune82011002-1.jpg

SAM_0248.jpg

I put on Tourtech hand guards ... i am happy...

one thing to consider, is not all guards, are compatible with various brands of throttle locks...

BMW makes some pretty good ones also...

i tried the BMW hand guards and didn't think too much of them, no real wind/rain protection. i wanted the best rain and wind protection i could get so i ended up getting the Aeroflow hand guards. they are some big honkin hand guards...........but they do exactly what they were designed to do, and that is to keep your hands out of the elements.

137218494.jpg

137798895.jpg

137798896.jpg

NYTRASHMAN... what the heck is on the side of you bike...???

Not for me but i bet there are a lot of folks who like them (Fairings?)

Where did you get them?

Pete in OKC, OK

what the heck is on the side of you bike...???

they are aeroflow duct deflectors and leg guards that i had painted to match the color of the bike. they may look ugly but after riding for an extended period of time in the rain yesterday i can attest to there effectiveness, the legs of my riding pants were perfectly dry. the aeroflow handguards kept my gloves perfectly dry in the rain as well. in my opinion, if you want the best in foul weather protection for your F650GS the products offered by aeroflow can't be beat.

they are aeroflow duct deflectors and leg guards that i had painted to match the color of the bike. they may look ugly but after riding for an extended period of time in the rain yesterday i can attest to there effectiveness, the legs of my riding pants were perfectly dry. the aeroflow handguards kept my gloves perfectly dry in the rain as well. in my opinion, if you want the best in foul weather protection for your F650GS the products offered by aeroflow can't be beat.

Just curious as to how wide they are.. how far do the leg and duct deflectors stick out? You should take a picture of them of how they look sitting on the bike, please. Thank you.

how far do the leg and duct deflectors stick out?

they really do not stick out very far, what they do is get the air flow to go around your legs instead of directly on them. i will try to post some pics, as requested, ASAP.

Romany, I have soft guards made by Moose Racing. They are made of heavy padded material which protects my hands and wrists from wind and rain. They are attached by velcro and fit most bikes. Got them for $25 from my local Ducati/KTM/Triumph dealer. I have used them on a Triumph Bonneville T100 and on my current 2011 F800ST. They had a tendency to blow back onto the brake and clutch levers at speed and I solved that by moving them inboard a bit to decrease the leverage. I am quite satisfied for now, having used them in rain and temps down to the 40's F and speeds into 80+ mph.
Enjoy.

Back