• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

brake lockup 94 K1100LT

Johnalan

finally got a k 1100 put back together and licensed. Had dealer change brake fluid and bleed ABS back in june but didn't gett it on the road until tonite. 4 1/2 miles from home rear brakes locked up big time, could even get it off road. Sat and cooled down 20-30 minutes then was able to drive back home. Any clues on how to remedy this situation.

89 K100LT
94 K1100 LT

Yikes!

Thank your lucky stars it wasn't the front that locked up! Sounds like ABS malfunction to me......start with Brian Curry's troubleshooting procedure on the IBMWR website & get the code(s) from your ABS system. It'll prolly indicate rear modulator fault. My '92 K75RT had ABS failure & I just unplugged it and have been riding without the ABS feature ever since.....

Good Luck!

Also may be the rear caliper needs some attention. Clymers has a section on rebuilds and parts are available for this. Not too hard to do.

Sounds like someone might have adjusted the height of the rear brake lever but not done the job completely. If the piston is partially depressed, the brakes can lock as they heat up.

Back