• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Boy is lodging getting expensive!

You have to negotiate. Most motel rooms are rented by companies, corporations, etc. They get the rooms at great rates.

You get off the road around six or 7 pm and stop at motel, ask how many rooms are available. Their bread and butter trade is already there company excs, construction workers, people that have reserved rooms in advance. Ask how many rooms they have available. If they have a bunch of rooms open tell them you are on the road, won't be using the swimming pool, weight room, and you'll be gone long before breakfast. What do they have? Let them know your willing to pay a fair price for a clean room. Do they have anything like that? Ask for discounts. If they don't ask them to refer you to a motel like what you are looking for. If nothing works out politely thank them and leave. Don't screw it up for the next guy. BMWMOA discount, never found a motel that had even heard of it.

Just another scam. I don't go to east asian bazaars and don't expect to have to bargain with scammers to get a room. If you do, good for you. I prefer to deal with honest people who have a price and give it to you. I disdain scheming and conniving.

Just another scam. I don't go to east asian bazaars and don't expect to have to bargain with scammers to get a room. If you do, good for you. I prefer to deal with honest people who have a price and give it to you. I disdain scheming and conniving.

While frustrating when on the road, room rates, like airfares, operate on a full-capacity basis. As such, tracking rates on your smartphone is the only means of minimizing hotel costs when traveling on the road. Otherwise, plan ahead and get the best price at the time. Then, forget about it and enjoy the trip.

I heard that Ken Engelman has negotiated a deal with Priceline for discounts on hotels when purchased through their app.

Pretty smart thinking on his part and great value for members, imo. :nod

:thumb

I heard that Ken Engelman has negotiated a deal with Priceline for discounts on hotels when purchased through their app.

Pretty smart thinking on his part and great value for members, imo. :nod

:thumb

I assume this was just before they fired him.

Lodging

That might be why the MOA just got rid of him. Imagine the impertinence of someone trying to provide useable member benefits to regular MOA members covering such a wide range of services. How dare he ! :banghead I will miss Ken's ideas, programs and attitude. Real value added stuff. He was the second decade of the 21st century version of Ian (and we still don't listen to Ian's advice on too many issues).

Friedle
Lifetime Member.......you can't get rid of me that easily

Not to throw a wet blanket on all this complaining (Lord knows, I've done plenty), but the BoD and upper management will ignore all of this noise, wait us out, and relax when some new lightning rod becomes "the issue of the day."

They did that with the firing of the former ON editor (Vince), used this approach with the dumping of the gals in St. Louis, did this with the move to South Carolina, and are doing it now with "Adios, Ken."

My suggestion is to review those candidates who plan on running for office this year, questioning those who promise to look into the internal politics/'good 'ole boy' system (college buddies!); then vote for them rather than those who offer little more than requesting Kool-Aid refills or wearing cheer-leading outfits to the quarterly meetings. :deal

Last edited:
Don't stay in campgrounds, stay in RV parks!

Campgrounds rarely offer anything of any quality...no shower, no laundry, no power, no nothing. I traveled all throughout Alaska and pitched my tent exclusively in RV parks. I almost always got a flat spot, grass, showers, laundry facilities and power for the phone and laptop. The most I ever paid was $30.00 a night, and almost always paid a lot less. This is, in my opinion, the ONLY way to travel economically while with a tent, while getting some basic "luxuries" at an economical price.

Now, if I'm traveling with my wife, this becomes an ENTIRELY different scenario!

Back