• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

BMW vs American V-Twin Touring

Looking for wisdom from those here who have ownership experience with BMW's RT and either Indian or HD touring offerings. I have owned both the R1200GS and GSA but I am now looking for a more road biased touring alternative with better long range comfort and am leaning towards a new water boxer RT. I don't however wish to eliminate American V-twin alternatives (electra glide or chieftain) without doing my homework first. I have done the HD dealer test rides but find them pretty useless to determine what it would be like to spend multi-day 8-12 hour rides on - maybe the next step is a rental. Regardless I'm looking for opinions on what the more feet forward design of the U.S. bikes does to one's back and hips after extended seat time compared to the RT seating position. I realize that the BMW's are in a different league altogether when it comes to technology and performance. All opinions good, bad and indifferent appreciated. Cheers.
I have owned both, but neither recently. I had a 97 Electra glide and a 00 RT. The Rt was hands down the best bike. My only complaints were the short tire life with the sport touring tires and the lousy stock seat.

All recreational vehicles in the '70s required seasonal rebuilds. No Ski-Doo or Polaris snow machine I ever knew got ridden like a tractor gets used. It was WFO all the time. :laugh

Sorry for continued thread de-rail. Dang, that's one New Years resolution broken already! :banghead

I recall those Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki and Kawasaki motorcycles as being fairly indestructable.

... My only complaints were the short tire life with the sport touring tires and the lousy stock seat.
Both of those issues can be helped to some degree now.

The new Michelin PR4 or Metzler Roadtec Z8 and new Roadtec 01 tires (10% mileage increase over the Roadtec Z8 and better grip!!!) are getting more and more distance out of their newer compounds and construction while actually improving grip.

As for seats, the RTW seat is the best I've ever seen on a BMW. Having said that, I did go to a Sargent seat for my RTW. Depending on one's specific anatomy and preferences, if the OE seat doesn't do the job then one of the many options (Sargent, Corbin, Russell, etc.) should do the trick.

my BMW's like to run swiftly and corner. I have heard there is this thing called scenery. The best of this scenery is reported to be on curvy roads. I have heard a Harley is ideal for enjoying the scenery. Am I missing out? Or is it over rated?

Rod

It would be seem the Harley would be the better platform to look at scenery, like a tour bus. They don't go fast enough to stick bugs; that's why they are always so clean and why their riders can get away with no head gear. JMO :). Riding my RT fast through scenic, curvy roads the scenery recedes in the background as I concentrate on riding. We were out in California last summer and rode some of US1 from San Fran up to Fort Bragg. In some sections the roads were so challenging and traffic heavy that, as the pilot of this venture, I could only get fleeting glimpses of that spectacular seacoast. And, not a lot of places to pull over-some but not always. I kind of felt cheated. Now, my pillion wife got a good look at the passing views.

Larry

It would be seem the Harley would be the better platform to look at scenery, like a tour bus. They don't go fast enough to stick bugs; that's why they are always so clean and why their riders can get away with no head gear. JMO :). Riding my RT fast through scenic, curvy roads the scenery recedes in the background as I concentrate on riding. We were out in California last summer and rode some of US1 from San Fran up to Fort Bragg. In some sections the roads were so challenging and traffic heavy that, as the pilot of this venture, I could only get fleeting glimpses of that spectacular seacoast. And, not a lot of places to pull over-some but not always. I kind of felt cheated. Now, my pillion wife got a good look at the passing views.

Larry

Best description of a Harley yet, nothing bad, just a that it is more like a tour bus or big SUV. There are lots of folks who will only drive large SUV's and would never be caught dead in a sports car. My RT feels like a great sports car and the Harley feels like a Chevy Suburban .

The little old lady thing.........

Living on the edge of the rust belt, I always marveled at the retirees that finally bought the dream car; Caddy, Town car, Imperial or runner-up model from a lesser division of the Big Three. Big, hulking vessels of unsurpassed seating comfort. It was the crowning jewel of a lifetime of work. As time has passed, the Caddy has been replaced by massive RV's and monster 4x4 crew-cab pick-ups. Massive, that's success in America.

However, once the bills were paid, the pension earned and kids gone, one is at the shorter end of the yardstick of life. Vision isn't getting better, reflexes aren't improving and height is dropping. That crown jewel is now being piloted by a captain straining to peer over the steering wheel.

To me, a lot of the HD/Indian/Victory crowd is the same as those prior/other retirees. They're just being Massive on two wheels. It's a strange symbol of success, IMHO, but very American.

Best description of a Harley yet, nothing bad, just a that it is more like a tour bus or big SUV. There are lots of folks who will only drive large SUV's and would never be caught dead in a sports car. My RT feels like a great sports car and the Harley feels like a Chevy Suburban .

I would equate your RT a European sedan with good trunk space.

I traded my Electra Glide for a '16 r1200rtw this year. Still working on the ergonomics, Harley's were always comfortable right out of the box, for me. However, I have no regrets. The more I ride the RT, the happier I get. Rain protection is better than the HD, but you do have to pay close attention to the road. You can sight-see easily on the HD, because it likes to go straight. The RT goes wherever you're looking, and right quick! Sure is fun, though. A far superior machine.

Looking for wisdom from those here who have ownership experience with BMW's RT and either Indian or HD touring offerings. I have owned both the R1200GS and GSA but I am now looking for a more road biased touring alternative with better long range comfort and am leaning towards a new water boxer RT. I don't however wish to eliminate American V-twin alternatives (electra glide or chieftain) without doing my homework first. I have done the HD dealer test rides but find them pretty useless to determine what it would be like to spend multi-day 8-12 hour rides on - maybe the next step is a rental. Regardless I'm looking for opinions on what the more feet forward design of the U.S. bikes does to one's back and hips after extended seat time compared to the RT seating position. I realize that the BMW's are in a different league altogether when it comes to technology and performance. All opinions good, bad and indifferent appreciated. Cheers.

As a person who just recently came back to the BMW brand after about 15 years of riding mostly Harley's, I have what I would consider to be fair amount of experience with these bikes. I have ridden nearly every bike in the Harley lineup and have owned two Ultra Classic's, my last one being a 2008 Ultra Classic with ABS. Putting aside aesthetics of the classic American motorcycle styling and the fact that the word 'Sport" is nowhere to be found when describing Harley's flagship "Touring" motorcycle, taken for what it is, the HD is an exceptional bike. The HD touring models are fiercely popular in all their various forms....Road Glide, Street Glide, ElectraGlide, Ultra Classic, etc... As a pure touring machine, which has no aspiration of aggressively carving canyons, going off road or winning drag races against liter bikes weighing half as much there are few bikes which are better at doing what the HD's do. If you want a reliable, comfortable touring machine for heaping on hundreds of miles at a time, the Ultra Classic is hard to beat. Yes, you can go 12 hours at a stretch in reasonable comfort. I've done it numerous times and was no worse for wear at the end of the day. The saddle, handlebars and floorboard arrangement I find to be much more comfortable for long rides than the footpegs the RT offers. Takes the pressure of those knees. Weighing in at 900+ pounds, these are not nimble machines, but they handle well for their size and weight and most of all, they make excellent long distance highway bikes. They are very very stable and have a solid secure feeling about them. You could cruise at 80 mph all day, everyday until you reach the ends of the earth on one of these bikes. They offer excellent wind/rain protection from the elements and when things turn hot, you can use the air deflectors to reroute the air around you, or on to your body as needed. If you're a gizmo gadget guy, they have every tech doodad you could ever want. Keyless ignition with electrically remote locking bags, Bluetooth communication system, XM Radio, Navigation, multimedia stereo, etc...

As a straight BMW to Harley comparison, I'd say the K1600GTL is more of a direct comparison to the Harley, but I realize that's not an option you're considering. If you're looking for a multipurpose bike that offers the ability to tour and gives you that sport bike feeling, then the RT is probably the way to go. The RT is a great compromise in my opinion that bridges both worlds. On the other hand, if you want a dedicated touring bike, then the HD is hard to beat. I commuted daily on both my Harley's for a period of time, besides taking long trips...eventually, you get used to all that weight and learn not to mind it so much. In terms of passenger comfort, my wife loved both Harley's and found them both to be vasty more comfortable and accommodating than my RT. I don't know if that's a consideration for you, but it may be something to think about if you plan on touring with the wife or S/O. Truly the only way you're going to know for sure though is to rent one for a weekend and take a nice long ride somewhere.

As a person who just recently came back to the BMW brand after about 15 years of riding mostly Harley's, I have what I would consider to be fair amount of experience with these bikes. I have ridden nearly every bike in the Harley lineup and have owned two Ultra Classic's, my last one being a 2008 Ultra Classic with ABS. Putting aside aesthetics of the classic American motorcycle styling and the fact that the word 'Sport" is nowhere to be found when describing Harley's flagship "Touring" motorcycle, taken for what it is, the HD is an exceptional bike. The HD touring models are fiercely popular in all their various forms....Road Glide, Street Glide, ElectraGlide, Ultra Classic, etc... As a pure touring machine, which has no aspiration of aggressively carving canyons, going off road or winning drag races against liter bikes weighing half as much there are few bikes which are better at doing what the HD's do. If you want a reliable, comfortable touring machine for heaping on hundreds of miles at a time, the Ultra Classic is hard to beat. Yes, you can go 12 hours at a stretch in reasonable comfort. I've done it numerous times and was no worse for wear at the end of the day. The saddle, handlebars and floorboard arrangement I find to be much more comfortable for long rides than the footpegs the RT offers. Takes the pressure of those knees. Weighing in at 900+ pounds, these are not nimble machines, but they handle well for their size and weight and most of all, they make excellent long distance highway bikes. They are very very stable and have a solid secure feeling about them. You could cruise at 80 mph all day, everyday until you reach the ends of the earth on one of these bikes. They offer excellent wind/rain protection from the elements and when things turn hot, you can use the air deflectors to reroute the air around you, or on to your body as needed. If you're a gizmo gadget guy, they have every tech doodad you could ever want. Keyless ignition with electrically remote locking bags, Bluetooth communication system, XM Radio, Navigation, multimedia stereo, etc...

As a straight BMW to Harley comparison, I'd say the K1600GTL is more of a direct comparison to the Harley, but I realize that's not an option you're considering. If you're looking for a multipurpose bike that offers the ability to tour and gives you that sport bike feeling, then the RT is probably the way to go. The RT is a great compromise in my opinion that bridges both worlds. On the other hand, if you want a dedicated touring bike, then the HD is hard to beat. I commuted daily on both my Harley's for a period of time, besides taking long trips...eventually, you get used to all that weight and learn not to mind it so much. In terms of passenger comfort, my wife loved both Harley's and found them both to be vasty more comfortable and accommodating than my RT. I don't know if that's a consideration for you, but it may be something to think about if you plan on touring with the wife or S/O. Truly the only way you're going to know for sure though is to rent one for a weekend and take a nice long ride somewhere.

Endorsing H-D (with factual information) on a BMW site?

You're a brave man, Tango Alpha! :bow

Actually, I agree with you. I've ridden many an H-D model, rented Electra Glides and Heritage Soft Tails on vacations (CO & FL) and rode a new Road King 8 hrs. a day, 6 months out of each year from 2000 - 2006 as a Motor Officer, so a few miles under my belt as well.

They can be reliable all-day mounts with the comfort of a dealership seemingly around every corner. The door of 'misconceptions about competing brands' swings both ways. :whistle

Last edited:
Endorsing H-D (with factual information) on a BMW site?

You're a brave man, Tango Alpha! :bow

Actually, I agree with you. I've ridden many an H-D model, rented Electra Glides and Heritage Soft Tails on vacations (CO & FL) and rode a new Road King 8 hrs. a day, 6 months out of each year from 2000 - 2007 as a Motor Officer, so a few miles under my belt as well.

They can be reliable all-day mounts with the comfort of a dealership seemingly around every corner. The door of 'misconceptions about competing brands' swings both ways. :whistle

I'm a motorcycle rider/enthusiast first and foremost. I can't say I've owned 'em all, but I have owned a lot of bikes over the years and have thoroughly enjoyed them all. Each had it's own purpose and I've found great enjoyment and lasting memories with each; it if it were practical to do so, I would have kept each and every bike beginning with my first, over 30 years ago. That said, I'm not snobby about what I ride, nor do I have some kind of superiority complex when I'm on a particular bike. From 50cc to 1800cc's I ride them all! I'm not too proud. My general opinion on bikes these days is that there really isn't a bad one on the road. Nowadays, they're all very well engineered and manufactured with the best machinery/technology available...for the most part. When/if something does break while on a road trip or the bike requires servicing, having a large nationwide dealer network certainly is an advantage. A robust aftermarket for parts/accessories is also a huge plus. Those are two areas that make owning a Harley much easier to own.

I completely agree with your statement, "The door of 'misconceptions about competing brands' swings both ways." There certainly does seem to be a lot of misconceptions about competing brands, Harley-Davidson and BMW's are no exception.

Both of those issues can be helped to some degree now.

The new Michelin PR4 or Metzler Roadtec Z8 and new Roadtec 01 tires (10% mileage increase over the Roadtec Z8 and better grip!!!) are getting more and more distance out of their newer compounds and construction while actually improving grip.

As for seats, the RTW seat is the best I've ever seen on a BMW. Having said that, I did go to a Sargent seat for my RTW. Depending on one's specific anatomy and preferences, if the OE seat doesn't do the job then one of the many options (Sargent, Corbin, Russell, etc.) should do the trick.

I normally replace the stock seat with a Corbin. The best and most cost effective fix in my opinion is an Airhawk.

I am surprised that in reading all of this thread so many people laud the touring qualities of Harley's pricey "Glide" line, while so few have mentioned what I personally would consider the ultimate in cross country touring work: the Honda Goldwing. Unmatched build quality and proven reliability, plenty of dealer support, excellent weather protection, an ultra smooth six cylinder engine that also happens to be whisper quiet, low center of gravity for improved handling, every gadget you can imagine,( including an air bag on their top model), and passenger comfort that women on the back of Harleys can only dream of, that is a Goldwing.

All that being said, I must in all honesty say that the top of the line Harleys (probably $30,000 plus) seem to be designed for two people. If the original poster is still debating what to buy I would suggest he decide first if he wants to have company on those long tours. The choice of bike then narrows dramatically. Most BMWs (and it appears to be about 95% from the many pictures I see) are ridden by a single person. The rear seat is simply a platform for extra gear. This applies to airheads, oil, hex, cam, K, all of them. One person on front, then the back seat filled with camping gear, chair, tools, maybe a barbecue bucket, etc. Not much room for company back there. So it would seem that most BMW owners prefer to leave the wife at home. Of course for that I could probably load up a Honda 350 for a cross country trip and have just as much fun.

Last edited:
.... put a rider on both a "Glide" and a "Wing" and have them ride from New York to California. I'd bet money on which bike they preferred to be on during the trip.

You're making too much sense with a logical and unemotional response. :D

The bottom line to all of this is simply personal comfort. Just like an aspirin can have different effects on different people, so can motorcycles. If [pick a brand] was the absolute king of comfort there would not be dozens of seat, bar, peg, shield.....changes out there for virtually every brand. The feet 'back' under my butt in the case of my Roadster is less comfortable than the feet slightly forward position of my K1200 LT , which is less comfortable than the feet even more forward on my Vic/Crossroad. Age enters..... in my youth I traveled on an H/D 900 Sportster...in perfect comfort, because enthusiasm overpowered both common sense & body aches........:dunno

You're making too much sense with a logical and unemotional response. :D

BC1100S, you're too quick for me. Sorry, everyone, I edited that line out of my original comment because I thought I might be offending Harley riders, which I made a resolution to try not to do this year, (last year, the year before...) I still stand by my statement comparing the long distance usefulness of the two bikes, Glides and Wings. But I know that everyone is going to ride what they want to, regardless of other's opinions. And that's good. As they say, "Variety is the spice of life." Being the odd-man-out on my BMW on the highway is a good feeling.

There is one factor being glossed over from my experience on R BMW models vs H-D --- HEAT! There's no comparison when it comes to heat management, those V's can bake ya at a standstill as well as when moving given unfavorable winds. Of course many K models dispense higher level of heat also.

Back