• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

BMW platinum roadride assistance and tire replacement?

brownie0486

I just signed on today for the Platinum plan roadside assistance and added the tire protection upping my standard membership status.

How many members have the platinum plan?

How many have used the plan when they were stuck on the road? If you've had to use it, give us some insight into how well the plan worked or didn't work out for you when you needed help on the road?

Hello Brownie, Maybe the time to ask these questions was BEFORE you signed up for the program. Let us know how this program works for you. :dunno

Friedle

Have a look at the similar threads panel at the bottom of the page. You may gain some insight from those threads. From memory, the Members have been pretty happy with the way things worked out when they needed the plan.
OM

Have a look at the similar threads panel at the bottom of the page. You may gain some insight from those threads. From memory, the Members have been pretty happy with the way things worked out when they needed the plan.
OM

Thanks OM,

Friedle,

I needed a plan anyway before I head to Ak. on an 8k round trip, ans supporting the org seemed as good as any. I already have a two policy with a company that specializes in towing bikes, but the rest of the bennies from the members roadside assistance. Also have the "member book" in the bags, but what I was really looking for was others experiences with these people when they found they needed assistance on the road.

ETA,
OM, read those linked threads at the bottom and I'm glad I signed on this morning, based on those reports. Thanks again. Now I have two #'s and policies I can rely on, if one doesn't get it done, the other is available as an option. IMO, it's cheap enough insurance to have peace of mind when out riding far from the homestead. :thumb

Last edited:
Well, brownie, I can tell you what it's like to have a breakdown, and not have the Platinum plan...not good, and in my case, very wet and expensive.

I now have had the Platinum plan for three years, I think. I hope that it's like my Hit-Air airbag vest and I never find out if either the plan or the vest is effective.

Well, brownie, I can tell you what it's like to have a breakdown, and not have the Platinum plan...not good, and in my case, very wet and expensive.

I now have had the Platinum plan for three years, I think. I hope that it's like my Hit-Air airbag vest and I never find out if either the plan or the vest is effective.

:thumb

Hey Brownie, Glad you are satisfied with the plan and hope you never need it. You might also consider a tire plugging kit for your trip in case you get a flat in West Outer Nowhere with no cell service.

Friedle

Hey Brownie, Glad you are satisfied with the plan and hope you never need it. You might also consider a tire plugging kit for your trip in case you get a flat in West Outer Nowhere with no cell service.

Friedle

There's a plug kit, air compressor and batt jump start with a separate 2x usb charged batt in the right pannier at all times. In the event the jump starter gets drained, I can recharge it on the fly while on the road.

Picking up two tubes for the front and rear for the trip north in July. Riding with two other members as well, so one of us can always go for help, one of them is a bmw mechanic and is bringing tools. :thumb

On any long ride tire repair equip is a no brainer. Tubes, patch kit, 12v pump and spare hand pump plus tire irons. No room in the panniers for a mechanic.

On any long ride tire repair equip is a no brainer. Tubes, patch kit, 12v pump and spare hand pump plus tire irons. No room in the panniers for a mechanic.

Should I invest in tubes for the GS for the trip north to Ak. this summer?

If so, what's the advantage of their being used?

My bike has tube tires but if yours does not have tubes carry a plug kit. A spare tube is not a bad thing to have in the event you cut a sidewall or other puncture that can’t be plugged. One front tube can fit front and rear tires in a pinch.

Thanks Ski,

You think one front is enough for both? One of the guys is bringing one rear inner tube, same bike as mine so maybe I get the front and between us we can do either if necessary.

You can go that way if you want, in a pinch you can stuff a front tube into a rear wheel but not the reverse. One of each between you would probably be enough insurance. I'm carrying one of each tube and a patch kit for my tubed tires.

Back