• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

BMS on 2015 r1200rt

zman

Looking at buying a Bill Mayer seat for a 2015 r1200rt since I'm over 6foot 6 and the stock seat doesn't cut it. Just curious if anyone would like to chime in with their experience with the seat. Thank you for any input.

Bms

I got a Bill Mayer saddle on my 2014 RT and love it. He spends time getting information about you and then does the seat. He also did a tweak for me at no cost. Prompt service and good people to deal with.

Rocky and Adrian at BMS built me a great seat. Since I live in SoCal, the wife and I did a ride-in fitting and we're very satisfied with the results.

BMS seat

I had a Seth Lamm seat built for my '15 R1200RT. I'm 6'2" and the Seth Lamm is just great. If you can do a drive in you can watch him do the work. Bill Mayer charges $85 extra for a drive in. Seth will do free tweaks if needed. He knew the bike and asked all the right questions, and actually listened to the answers. Have fun.

I had a Seth Lamm seat built for my '15 R1200RT. I'm 6'2" and the Seth Lamm is just great. If you can do a drive in you can watch him do the work. Bill Mayer charges $85 extra for a drive in. Seth will do free tweaks if needed. He knew the bike and asked all the right questions, and actually listened to the answers. Have fun.

I've done two ride-ins with Rocky, 1200gs and 1600gt, never a extra charge for ride-in, even gave me the discounted price on 1600 group buy
Word of caution though, when I did my ride-ins he limited it to two bikes a day, and had to be their by 0700
Both cases I was on my way home by 1030đź‘Ťđź‘Ť

Seth Laam...

I have had less than great experiences with both of the Mayer offspring (A LOT LESS with Rick, F*****G D******G), and have tried many off the shelf solutions over the years. Some were better than stock, none were worth the expense and in some cases aggravation and down time.

My '14 RT was the first to finally, FINALLY get a Russell Day Long as the new chassis design renders a 'manageable' seat height for me with one fitted. I got what I paid for and expected, my feet and hands hurt more at the end of a 700+ mile day than my ass - which could have done 700 more. Perfect, for those kinds of days.

But, the RDL still fell short (or tall) for daily riding (long reach in stop-and-go), higher body position on bike and too confining for more technical play in the mountains where I use all of my body to change my center line - it's real comfortable when my butt is planted, static dead on center, but it's got to stay there. So, for most of my riding, the RDL created some very real obstacles, actually made riding a little less enjoyable... not an option, I live on my bike.

I had to find a solution, had been reading some great reviews about Seth Laam's Saddles from some genuine enthusiasts i've known for years on a variety of boards, and gave him a call. Turns out he uses the same materials supplier as Russell, and was able to promise me a second rider seat that would be a dead match visually to my RDL pillion seat. I sourced an extra rider seat pan and gave it a shot.

What I got back was not what I expected:
1) The new front didn't completely match the Russell back, it was actually quite a bit nicer. The two leathers (dark grey/black) matched perfectly, but the stitch work and fine detail of the craftsmanship of Laam's saddle is noticeably better.
2) I expected this to be my seat of choice for daily and more technical riding, and that's not the case. It is my seat of choice for everything... I haven't put my RDL front on for almost a year now (for sale?), I simply don't need it. I ran back to back 500+ mile days, first day on the RDL, second on the Laam, and found for the combination of comfort, ride height, and reach of the Laam to give me a far better long day experience.

Done deal. I have since turned dozens of my customers on to Seth Laam, and have gotten back nothing but VERY positive feedback. He can be hard to reach, get a few days (not weeks or months) behind in the busy season (be realistic, plan accordingly), but he's great to work with and delivers a best in class product for a little more than HALF of what the same RDL costs, and less than many off the shelf, one size fits someone solutions. I highly recommend exploring this path. http://laamseats.com/

Back