• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Bluetooth for wired earplugs

88bmwjeff

SF Bay Area
I have a custom pair of earplugs with wired speakers. They work really great at cutting down the surround noise that the volume can be really low. I'm wondering if there is a Bluetooth option to plug them into rather than be wired to my phone, GPS, etc.

Just remember if you go to bluetooth headphones to have another device that needs charging. Plug phones makes ones that are combo ear plugs. Personally I stick to wired ones to eliminate more things to charge.

Just remember if you go to bluetooth headphones to have another device that needs charging. Plug phones makes ones that are combo ear plugs. Personally I stick to wired ones to eliminate more things to charge.
Excellent point! FWIW, my Cardo Freedom 4+ has never run out of charge while on 18hr rides with streaming music most of the time. Same as my original very old Cardo's.

I tried plugfones but found S-Plugs much better quality! My plugfones tips wore out in less than a month. I will say that plugfone customer service is top notch. They sent me a package of tips quickly when I inquired about them wearing out and they offer a military discount. S plug does not.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

This point is well taken. With my phone attached to the bike, I didn't want to be tethered to my bike via the short cord on the earbuds. Plus, with the headset plug gone from most phones I would have to choose between the USB charging cable and earbuds.

This point is well taken. With my phone attached to the bike, I didn't want to be tethered to my bike via the short cord on the earbuds. Plus, with the headset plug gone from most phones I would have to choose between the USB charging cable and earbuds.
No need to worry about charging and plugging in earphones at the same time. You can plug both in at once.

Iphone
https://www.imore.com/how-charge-your-iphone-and-listen-headphones-same-time

Android
https://www.androidcentral.com/best-usb-c-headphone-adapter

You can also get a wireless charger on the bike and then plug the earphones in. I use the Quadlock wireless charger. Of course neither of these will keep you from not being tethered to the phone. But.the options are available.

Cardo + Splugs (wired ear buds)

I use Cardo devices and Splugs (wired ear buds.) Any wired ear bud would work, but most wouldn't be as small and comfortable as Splugs in a helmet. I have never installed any speakers in my current helmet, due to having too much road noise with a number of past speakers, now just plug my Splugs into the Cardo device, which has compatible plugs. Then, I use Cardo device as the hub for all other Bluetooth devices (GPS, phone, etc.) I have an R1200GS. My riding buddy with an RT, also uses Splugs, but he has a more complicated and troublesome connection that uses the bike's Bluetooth as central (because the RT has satellite radio, etc.) He has trouble with volume from the various connected devices.

Obviously a custom, professionally made ear bud would be optimal, but the Splugs work well enough. I tried some other cheaper ear buds but they were not as good. Splugs, at around $100, are ridiculously overpriced, but they work. That's the American way, supply and demand, sell something for as much as people are willing to pay for it. I have had a couple sets. The wires break after a while.

I use Cardo devices and Splugs (wired ear buds.) Any wired ear bud would work, but most wouldn't be as small and comfortable as Splugs in a helmet. I have never installed any speakers in my current helmet, due to having too much road noise with a number of past speakers, now just plug my Splugs into the Cardo device, which has compatible plugs. Then, I use Cardo device as the hub for all other Bluetooth devices (GPS, phone, etc.) I have an R1200GS. My riding buddy with an RT, also uses Splugs, but he has a more complicated and troublesome connection that uses the bike's Bluetooth as central (because the RT has satellite radio, etc.) He has trouble with volume from the various connected devices.

Obviously a custom, professionally made ear bud would be optimal, but the Splugs work well enough. I tried some other cheaper ear buds but they were not as good. Splugs, at around $100, are ridiculously overpriced, but they work. That's the American way, supply and demand, sell something for as much as people are willing to pay for it. I have had a couple sets. The wires break after a while.

Thanks about the Cardo devices suggestions, I will look into them. FYI, I love my custom-made earbuds with speakers. The custom earbuds block out so much road noise that the volume level is usually at or near the lowest setting. Plus, there's no issue about them fitting into a helmet. I think they're well worth the money.

I also use the Cardo system with wired earbuds, usually vintage Etomotic ER 6s or Shure 425s. Been very pleased with that setup. Either set of earbuds cut out enough outside noise I can set the volume while stopped and leave it alone at speed. Also use the 425s when mowing and could probably work as shooting hearing protection.

I also use the Cardo system with wired earbuds, usually vintage Etomotic ER 6s or Shure 425s. Been very pleased with that setup. Either set of earbuds cut out enough outside noise I can set the volume while stopped and leave it alone at speed. Also use the 425s when mowing and could probably work as shooting hearing protection.
I used the Shure 425's. They do sound great but the wire that wraps around the ears eventually broke from daily usage. Luckily, you can buy replacement wires as they detach from the speakers and those wore out too.

I used Etymotics for ages, but later moved to a Cardo system on my Schuberth, then to a Sena system in my Shoei. I wear earplugs and the sound is fine. Is it audiophile quality? No. Can I hear it without blasting it? Yes. Add in a remote control on the left bar and I have complete control over my music from my left grip.

I like that it's one less item to manage. I charge my phone and my helmet at night and even on long days, I've not had either go dead.

Charging my helmet or earphones while riding? Uh, no. I got rid of a perfectly fine Autocom when I had the opportunity to eliminate a tether that was connected to my head.

Either system, Cardo or Sena, is fine. Music sounds great and being able to talk with my wife without yelling is good for domestic bliss.

But for me, no more corded headsets or earplugs.

Also, y'all carry your phone in your pocket in the event you go off and the bike is a ways from you and you're injured and need to call someone, right? Being able to initiate two way conversation from your helmet even in non-emergency situations is a huge benefit. Example: Stop for gas, browse hotels on your phone, hit the phone number and make a reservation without having to take all your crap off of your head. Also, if you have a co-rider, they can do the same from the back seat while you're tooling down the road. My wife used to like to talk to her mom on long hauls from the back seat of our RT.

Also, y'all carry your phone in your pocket in the event you go off and the bike is a ways from you and you're injured and need to call someone, right?
Nope, mine is mounted. But I do carry an InReach in my pocket. That stays activated all year as I go hiking in no cell service Appalachians quite often.

I bought Cardo Palktalks last summer for my wife and I. We both wear custom ear bubs.

As for running out of battery I bought a small battery pack, called a cell phone charger. When we stop for lunch I grab the battery pack, and couple USB cables and recharge the Cardos. Also the Cardos can be used while charging so I can stuff the battery in a jacket pocket and run the USB cable up to my helmet and recharge on the fly, although I have not had too. I keep the battery pack, a wall wort USB adapter and the USB cables in a small pouch so it is all handy when I want it.

Back