• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Bloomsberg Rally.

Petvet

Hi everyone,

Are there any "take it easy" riders going to the Rally from Orange Co., NY. I am planing to go on Wen. Just a leisurely ride west and north from Port Jervis and then coming down pass the Scranton. Nothing is set in stone except the date, however. I am open for suggestions.

When the time grows near I will post some eventual routes.

Safe riding to all

Emanouil

South of Rt 84 approach

Let me know if you go north of RT 84. The route below takes you off of RT 84 to avoid the Scranton, Wilkes-Barre Metro and its construction projects. It sends you through the woods filled with NYC bedroom communities that you don't see and summer parks, lakes and forest, nice twisty roads and its close to communities if you need food or fuel. The Conyngham Valley between Freeland and Bloomsburg usually is featured on scenic Pennsylvania calenders and can best viewed looking across it from Rt 81 Hazleton or on a summit dirt road.

Once you cross the Susquehanna River take the first left and follow the river southward on Mc Clure Road to the rally enterance. It provides a nice river scene, a covered bridge ( don't cross it but hand a right ) and you travel beneath two small railroad bridges. Its a cycling route so watch out for fitness people.

There is a New Englander claiming there is no good ways to Bloomsburg. I am glad his ancestors felt that way. :laugh

For scenic routes from the rally see my profile page.

<iframe src="http://ridewithgps.com/routes/396497/embed" height="500px" width="100%" frameborder="0"></iframe>

Thanks, it is definitely a option. Though I have been that way recently. I am thinking of more round about way since I have a whole day to get to Bloomsberg. I pass north of Scranton and then come south west in to Bloomsber. I will post a possible route as soon as I have more definite idea. I am open to suggestion for things to se and try in those areas roughly defined above. Thanks again.

As with your other route options, thanks for this one Chris. Mary and I know how perfect your road suggestions are! See you in Bloomsburg. - Bob

This route I usually take if I am going to New England or Upstate NY. Its rural with many opportunities for food and fuel stops. You can make some great time on theis road or just cruise along. Since its country be mindful of deer in the shadows.

<iframe src="http://ridewithgps.com/routes/403654/embed" height="500px" width="100%" frameborder="0"></iframe>

A variation to the south of RT 84 way.

The Roebling Aquaduct / bridge at Minisink Ford NY is a nice Delaware River crossing. Zane Greys former home now a museum is next to the rivers that he fly fished and it hasn't changed much since earlier times. The rest of the way is twisty rural roads that get you near communities if you need food or fuel. * If you have time you could take RT 6 west then follow the way down from Tunkhannock via RT 29 - Mooretown Road - RT 118 to 487 to Bloomsburg. RT 6 can be boring in spots and posted speeds are low.

<iframe src="http://ridewithgps.com/routes/403681/embed" height="500px" width="100%" frameborder="0"></iframe>

This route I usually take if I am going to New England or Upstate NY....

Wow, Chris! This is a PERFECT route for our return trip through the Catskills! Any idea what the travel time is (at a leisurely pace) between Bloomsburg and Hancock (sans deer)?

Thanks!

Wow, Chris! This is a PERFECT route for our return trip through the Catskills! Any idea what the travel time is (at a leisurely pace) between Bloomsburg and Hancock (sans deer)?

Thanks!

I would allow 3 hours from Bloomsburg to Hancock NY or 4 hours to Margaretsville, NY at a nice relaxed pace. The whole way is nicely paved and my Montreal friends do highway speed on these roads. Also there are plenty of opportunities for food and fuel despite how rural the northeast part of the State is.

There is also a resturant as you cross under RT 81 north of Nicholson but I can't remember the name that is a nice stop.

Downsville Diner ?À (607) 363-7678 18 Main St ?À Downsville NY is a nice stop for food / coffee along the way. It will get you relaxed for the nice twisties ahead. :clap

Back