• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Bitten Again.....and taking the Plunge

J

joatmon1967

Let me start by introducing myself, my name is Justin, a 42yo Native Texan who resides in beautiful East Texas. I have had numerous bikes through the years, Honda and Kawasaki. The most recent a Kawasaki Concours that I thourghly enjoyed for a few years, many miles, and even a Saddle Sore 1000. When I felt victim to lack of riding time I sold her and wished her well with her new owner.

Recently, the winter glum (what we consider winter) parted ways and left me to be bitten once again for the open rode. The dream situation was that I would find an incredible bike somewhere far off and I would fly up and ride it home. Several weeks passed, searching ebay, craigslist, even Google searches for Dealers inventory. Several bikes were chosen and saved, I did due diligent research and arrived that now was my time to own a BMW. I chose not to spend the large sums for a new bike so I chose to endeavor and look for a great pre-owned ride.

And this is what I found............
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1990-bmw-K100LT-ABS-k100-LT_W0QQitemZ160327154794QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_motorcycles?hash=item160327154794&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245&_trkparms=65%3A-1%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

While waiting for my tax return it slipped through my hands. So I continued my search.

A week later I was doing another Google search for BMW Dealers in Seattle, up pops Ride West. I pull up their pre-owned inventory, and to my giddy little school girl surprise, it was in the #1 position. I was 8am my time, and I had to wait 3hrs to call and see if it was still available (plug-in Jeopardy Final Round theme music here).

IT WAS STILL ON THE FLOOR.........and available.

After several minutes of interrogating the sales rep. I made the plunge and made the NON-refundable deposit. Next was the trip planning.

I am flying up this Wednesday. Take care of business, and be on my way. Heading to Coeur d'Alene and spending the night.

I have the National Geographic Guide to Scenic Highways and Byways, and have planned my route fitting in the most of their routes into the 2300 miles back home.

Coeur d'Alene ID / Missoula, MT
Lake Coeur d'Alene

Missoula, MT / Twin Falls, ID
Salmon River Scenic Route
Sawtooth Drive (southern half)

Twin Falls, ID / Jackson, WY
Mesa Falls Scenic Byway
West Yellowstone NP
Teton Park Pass
Big Hole Mountains Drive
Centennial Scenic Byway

I am tossing around the idea of using the last leg of my trip from Jackson, WY as a opportunity for a Bun Burner 1500. It maps out at 1585 miles and 25hrs. This of course will be determined by the previous days rides and if I am up for it or not.

I am just so excited about this whole thing.

Forgive me for rambling on, this being my first ever post and all. Please feel free to give me any tips, advice, or personal experiences with any of these particular rides. I am packing very light and only flying up with the essential gear, cell phone, XM Roady, GPS, and Camera. Cold and wet gear, looks like it will be raining the first few days. I have roadside assistance with both my insurer and BMW MOA, so I have that piece of mind.

Because I just joined today, and chose first class mailing, I doubt that I will receive the BMW MOA roadside assistance information before I leave. If anyone who reads this and can help me with the pertinent info, I am very appreciative.

Thank you again, and I am glad to be apart of your group.

Justin DuPont
joatmon1967@cablelynx.com

Justin, first of all welcome. we have a great group here. we don't always agree on everything, but that just makes it fun. if you have any questions about anything, even your bike ask here first. there is a large amount of knowledge about everything, anything and sometimes nothing on this forum. congrats on the new bike, and have a safe and fun trip. Kenny G. :thumb

Thank you for the salutations Kenny. I know there is a wealth of information on here.

Raceydog, in the original post I inserted a link to the ebay listing on the 1990 K100LT. I did decide to do a Premium MOA membership for the additional benifits offered, seperate from the individual members and what they offer.

Justin

Ah. I just realized that it was the same one that had slipped through your hands previously. How lucky!

As far as the roadside, I researched the membership page and found the Roadside Program. Holy Crap! I have never seen that on here before. I will be signing up today.

Another East Texan!!

Congrats on the bike. Welcome to the club.:thumb
I'd like to invite you to a monthly ride-to-eat here in ET on the 2d Thursday at various eateries where we can both celebrate our birthday.
There is a thread about it on Two Wheel Texans.
http://www.twtex.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39232

Send me a PM and I'll give you my phone #.

First, congratulations on finding the bike of your dreams.

Now to be the party popper....

If I read you correctly, you live in Texas and the motorcycle is in Seattle?

You didn't say how long you've been out of riding. Please don't push yourself too hard on bringing this motorcycle home. If you've been out of riding for a while, your skills will have deteriorated. You will need to give yourself time to regain the old edge.

Do you still have any of your old riding gear? If so, take it with you when you go. If not, include funds to purchase gear when you get there.

Again, congratulations on the find. Please be extra careful and not push too hard, too soon.

Hi Justin and Welcome!

Congratulations on your new bike - a real beauty! Welcome to Beemer land - after coming over from a Suzuki I find it a real love-hate relationship.:dance

I pulled out the atlas to look at your proposed route because I have a friend in Missoula that I went to see last year on my bike and I have a daughter in Bozeman who is a student at MSU and who I'll be picking up at this week because it's the end of the semester (in a cage of course - we'll be lucky to get all her crap in the truck).
Looking at the map and your proposed route through Montana and Idaho it reminds me of when I was younger and went to an all-you-can-eat buffet, I put it all on my plate but had to pay the consequences later. You might want to consider taking US 93 down from Missoula to Salmon and ID 28 from Salmon to ID 33 at Mud Lake, north of Idaho Falls, very scenic and pretty direct. Forget West Yellowstone but stay on ID 33 which takes you through Driggs and turns into WY22 which takes you over Teton Pass (beautiful all the way). Just south of Jackson pick up US 191 to Pinedale Wy then twist the throttle back because there's a lot of sage brush and antelope for the next several hundred miles. Hopefully the locals will weigh in here but this route would save you from having to do 1500 miles in 25 hours which might get you to hating your new beemer.
Be that as it may, welcome. You may come close to me here in Steamboat Springs CO and if you do, you are more than welcome to stay and rejuvenate. I am a brewer and have a good supply of Oilhead Stout and Beemer Steemer on hand.:drink Steve

Artiee.....I appreciate your feedback. It has not been that long since I have done some LD riding, just a couple of years. I actually have a little CB100 to tool around town on right now, keeps the blood pumping. I actually am a very conservative rider, only opening it up when and where I am comfortable.

Steve....The route you suggest if partly what I do already have mapped out. I plan on heading down to Twin Falls from Missoula, so I am taking 93 down to 75 then into Twin Falls. West Yellowstone is on the agenda for the following day.

I had a Connie, she could be quite buzzy even with with augmentation. I am hoping the Corbin seat on the K is as comfy as it looks. If I do plan on doing the Bun Burner I will spilt the distance from Jackson, WY to Kilgore, TX....it looks like Colby ,KS will be that spot to rest.

Thank you both. Keep the beers cold Steve, I may just take you up on your offer one day.

Tomorrow is the BIG DAY!!!

I want to thank all the responders to my post for their input. I am so excited I have finding it hard to sleep at night or think about anything but the bike and this trip during the day.

I fly out in the morning, and am hoping to be on the rode and putting MY miles of this incredible machine by mid afternoon.

I am not taking my computer, so there will be no in route updates. Taking an old fashioned journal and my camera. Something to do in the motel room at night.

Thank you again everyone.

Sounds like a wonderful plan! I did a similar thing in 2007, flying to Virginia and riding back my new 1980 Yamaha XS850 triple. Have a blast and ride safe.

Back