• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

bing carb question

I am rebuilding a 1974 R90/6 , one of the bing carbs has an internal crack in the housing, this is a 64/32/11 and I found a 64/32/9 but am not sure if the bodies are the same and the rest of my parts will interchange. I have the rebuild kit for the 64/32/11 and could put all parts from the 11 to the 9 if the bodies are the same?
Any Bing Guru's out there that could help me out? Thanks

I thought the bodies might be the same in my post on the other forum, but after looking at Bing's manual, I'm not so sure. For one thing, the slides in the carbs have different numbers...might suggest some difference there. The main jets are much different. Some of the other jets/settings are different.

I'd suggest at least calling Bing and see what they say. Or ask them if they might be able to fix your crack in the one body.

I’m not a Bing guru and never played one on TV, but FWIW I know that any change in jetting or slide cutaway can result in Bing assigning a new number to the carb. That happened with the R80ST back in the 80s. An SI called out the jetting and slide cutaway changes and also listed the numbers that would be assigned to carbs coming with the new configuration. The carb body was unchanged.

Best,
DeVern

thanks, I called bing and there are some noticeable differences, one being the 9 only has one hole in the throat where the 11 has 2 holes , that would be for idle for sure, so that difference alone is a no go for me. i called bing and found out all the bodies from 11 to 20 are the same and this morning I did find an 11 body so I should be good to go.
thanks for all the help

The first two numbers of the BING part number describe the type and size of the carburetor. 64/32 means a 32 mm constant velocity type.

The third number describes the jetting installed at factory.

In your case if you match jetting, you're ok and have essentially identical carbs. Any jetting that fits any 64/32 carb fits any 64/32 carb. Probably a 64/40 too.

Don't forget that needle position could be different between the two models.

Back