• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Bike's Firmware Version Installed

88bmwjeff

SF Bay Area
Is there a way to check to see which firmware version is installed on the bike and what the current version is? Granted, the firmware will have to be updated at a dealer, but I'm just wondering if there's a quick way for me to tell. OK, firmware might not be the appropriate term, but I'm using it due to the lack of a better term. FYI, the bike is a 2018 R1200 GS with the TFT screen.

An Autoscan with a GS-911 will output that information. I have a before/after scan from all the times I’ve had my 2018GS in for firmware updates.

Best,
DeVern

Yes but is there somewhere you can find a list of what is the current version for your bike?
Gator

The important part of the question in this thread is...what is the update for YOUR bike.

As far as I know, the updates are VIN specific, so that your build will include updates that are determined if your bike came with Radio Prep, GPS prep, Ride Pro Modes, TFT, etc., and all the other optional modules that could have updates since the Factory Installed Software.

Here are the key parts of the data output from a "typical bike" that give you an indication of whether or not your bike has EVER been updated since new. (Screen snapshot from a GS-911 Scan)

Factory I-Level : K001-16-03-500
Actual I-Level : K001-16-03-500
Backup I-Level : K001-16-03-500

As well as another line in the Data Capture about 5 lines lower that states "Firmware Date (YY/MM/DD) : 16/03/16"

Note that the date format is Year/Month/Day and that the I-Level doesn't include day, but sequence of the update.

I had my 2016RT updated after about 8 months of ownership and the Service Manager mentioned that he thought that 21 individual updates had been applied since my Factory I-Level "as delivered" configuration was presented to him.

This is not the answer you are looking for to figure out what your bike has and what is available, but the Max BMW shop that I went to back a couple of years ago only charged me 1/2hr shop time to connect the bike to their computer to talk to the Mother Land and update ALL the modules on my bike....YOUR bike will be completely different.

The general rule for updating firmware is to solve a problem, so that brings the question: what issue are you hoping to resolve if any? If there is nothing wrong with the bike then I wouldn't worry about updating it. I did have the dealership do an update on my bike to resolve issues with the Bluetooth connectivity because it was inconsistent with the connection. I was aware others had had similar issues and had received updates to resolve them which is why I had it done.

The general rule for updating firmware is to solve a problem, so that brings the question: what issue are you hoping to resolve if any? If there is nothing wrong with the bike then I wouldn't worry about updating it. I did have the dealership do an update on my bike to resolve issues with the Bluetooth connectivity because it was inconsistent with the connection. I was aware others had had similar issues and had received updates to resolve them which is why I had it done.

We have become so used to getting updates to our computers (Windows or Apple) and our phones (Apple or Android) that the need to continuously tinker with firmware seems essential. I have never understood why, except to fix security flaws caused by screw-ups in the original versions. Somebody far more computer literate than I am might clue me in why my phone needs an update every month or so.

I once took my Ford Focus in to a dealership so they could perform a recall to replace defective door latches. That took about 15 minutes. But then they hooked the car to the great Ford computer in the cloud and updated a bunch of processors. That process took an hour and a half while I sat and drank coffee and read very old magazines.

We have become so used to getting updates to our computers (Windows or Apple) and our phones (Apple or Android) that the need to continuously tinker with firmware seems essential. I have never understood why, except to fix security flaws caused by screw-ups in the original versions. Somebody far more computer literate than I am might clue me in why my phone needs an update every month or so.

I once took my Ford Focus in to a dealership so they could perform a recall to replace defective door latches. That took about 15 minutes. But then they hooked the car to the great Ford computer in the cloud and updated a bunch of processors. That process took an hour and a half while I sat and drank coffee and read very old magazines.

Having had a career in technology from hardware to operating systems to applications to firmware, one constant has been the need to continually release maintenance updates to improve security, fix bugs (reported both by customers and internally), tweak features and add new features. Over that career I also saw a steady decline in engineering (mostly programming) skills resulting in more complexity than necessary and more bugs per line of code. Today's software development environments shield coders from thinking about managing memory, handling errors and needing efficient code, along with "ship it now" management dictates - all of which results in more error prone software needing fixes. One company social media company proudly proclaimed "we're so good and moving so fast, we don't need quality assurance". In years past I witnessed bug-free releases but in recent experience saw upwards of a thousand bugs reported a week. One Canadian company I visited was experiencing a thousand bug reports a day from its customers. In comparison, car and bike systems would seem more robust, but from what I've seen from Tesla - that reputation seems to be fading.

The "typical bike" I referred to earlier in this thread went in for a FIRMWARE UPDATE today and here are the new I-Level numbers.

Actual I-Level : K001-22-07-506

Firmware Date (YY/MM/DD) : 22/10/22

The "typical bike" I referred to earlier in this thread went in for a FIRMWARE UPDATE today and here are the new I-Level numbers.

Actual I-Level : K001-22-07-506

Firmware Date (YY/MM/DD) : 22/10/22

From what I could tell from the SETTINGS --> INFORMATION --> SOFTWARE Version, my bike has firmware 001-011-081 for a 2018 R1200 GS. Now, I have no clue which version it is.

From what I could tell from the SETTINGS --> INFORMATION --> SOFTWARE Version, my bike has firmware 001-011-081 for a 2018 R1200 GS. Now, I have no clue which version it is.

This is from the only update I have taken on my 17.5 GS. I had it done 6 months ago just to make sure I was up to date. Non TFT.

Model : R 1200 GS (K50) 2017
Factory I-Level : K001-17-03-502
Actual I-Level : K001-21-11-500
Backup I-Level : K001-17-03-502

2016 R1200RT Firmware

This is from the only update I have taken on my 17.5 GS. I had it done 6 months ago just to make sure I was up to date. Non TFT.

Model : R 1200 GS (K50) 2017
Factory I-Level : K001-17-03-502
Actual I-Level : K001-21-11-500
Backup I-Level : K001-17-03-502

So I have a OptiMATE 4 Charger that won't stay engaged charging though the DIN socket. The charger is set up for CAN Bus mode, but the bike doesn't seem to recognize it. I've read elsewhere that other folks had the same issue and got it to work when they updated the bike firmware at the dealer. Anyone else had to update firmware to get the OptiMATE to engage the CAN Bus mode? Thanks.

I believe an RT will have different Firmware number series than a GS...although I don't know the range of numbers for each series that is applicable.

So I have a OptiMATE 4 Charger that won't stay engaged charging though the DIN socket. The charger is set up for CAN Bus mode, but the bike doesn't seem to recognize it. I've read elsewhere that other folks had the same issue and got it to work when they updated the bike firmware at the dealer. Anyone else had to update firmware to get the OptiMATE to engage the CAN Bus mode? Thanks.

I use a optimate but wire it to the battery. I have never tried, or even desired to charge through one of the ACC plugs.

Indeed there is a "factory recall" to update the firmware and correct the charging "bug" on the following models: R1250GS/GSA/RT/RS, S1000RR/SR (2020-up), F750GS, F850GS/GSA, and F900R/XR.

Optimate charger

I have my Optimate connected directly to the battery with the supplied pigtail. It works quite well, no need to connect during the summer but I use it as a tender in the winter.

Back