• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Bike to Bike communication

Bud

It is what it is.
Looking for suggestions for B2B communication using FRS/GMRS. Have Motorola radio. What speaker/mic combinations are you using?

I and my buddy use Autocom units with Kenwood FRS radios, they works great.
I have tried different radios (Cobras and Motorola's) with the Autocom and my buddy tried real hard with his Motocom unit, but ended up with all kinds of noises and problems with the single pin connector plugs. They either where to long or to short or to loose. One moment it worked and couple miles done the road it would quit again.
We have no problems with the Autocom and Kenwood combo, even at 90 mph. :clap

this thread had a few ideas...SheRidesABeemer I believe has a solution in there
http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?t=18046

I use Kenwood FRS radios thru an Autocomm system with handlebar PTT button. we tried the VOX activated , but our rolling commentary and talking/singing to ourselves wore us out:blah :laugh ...I think ther is a cheaper solution here somewhere. with our system we use the kenwood interface and add Etymotics ER6I earbuds for clear sound. As I said, some cheaper options prob will pop up, but I am very pleased with Autocomm performance

I use an Autocom Pro 7 Sport (last years model) with a Kenwood FRS military spec. radio. Have had excellent results. :clap Some prefer the new wireless technology, you might check that out also. One of my riding buddies bought a Cobra FRS radio from Wally World or somewhere, while the box stated it was a FRS type, it would not work with my Kenwood. Not sure why but just be sure to do your homework.

I use an Autocom Pro 7 Sport (last years model) with a Kenwood FRS military spec. radio. Have had excellent results. :clap Some prefer the new wireless technology, you might check that out also. One of my riding buddies bought a Cobra FRS radio from Wally World or somewhere, while the box stated it was a FRS type, it would not work with my Kenwood. Not sure why but just be sure to do your homework.
There are two things to check that might help. First, your Kenwood radio may be a GMRS model (the mil. spec. FreeTalk XL, for example, is GMRS) in which case only half the channels will work with FRS radios. Second, my old Kenwood FreeTalk (standard consumer FRS model) has a scrambler feature that must be turned off otherwise it garbles conversation heard by other FRS brands.

Michael

Are there any B2B systems (using FRS/GMRS radios) that allow me to continue using my Shure E2C ear phones instead of the normal helmet speakers (and still allow the in-helmet microphone)? I'm very spoiled using them to listen to my MP3 player. The ideal system would allow me to listen to music with the E2Cs and have the audio cut in for communications with the radios to my wife's bike. Is there such a system?

Are there any B2B systems (using FRS/GMRS radios) that allow me to continue using my Shure E2C ear phones instead of the normal helmet speakers (and still allow the in-helmet microphone)? I'm very spoiled using them to listen to my MP3 player. The ideal system would allow me to listen to music with the E2Cs and have the audio cut in for communications with the radios to my wife's bike. Is there such a system?

Autocomm does this with the right lead from unit to helmet. of course at an additional cost from one supplied with system. We use quality earbuds even though the helmet speakers are adequate

That is what I also use, except I have molded earplug speakers by Bob Weiss.
I think Autocom has a setup just for B to B, without the intercom. You still get a push to talk button, a Mic and a set of speakers. I also think you can add the special headset lead with the box with the female plug for the ear but speakers.

PTT or VOX

Autocomm does this with the right lead from unit to helmet. of course at an additional cost from one supplied with system. We use quality earbuds even though the helmet speakers are adequate

Do you use PTT or VOX? If you use the PTT what cable do you use with your Kenwood FRS? I just purchased an Autocom and am thinking about the radio when I ride with buddies. I sing along with my iPod so I don't think I'd be too popular if I use VOX.

D

Last edited:
Do you use PTT or VOX? If you use the PTT what cable do you use with your Kenwood FRS? I just purchased an Autocom and am thinking about the radio when I ride with buddies. I sing along with my iPod so I don't think I'd be too popular if I use VOX.

D

I have the PTT/VOX switch on the left handgrip, it is a 3 position switch...always open/VOX/PTT...have to be careful if you sing to yourself...or do rolling commentary of fellow riders:nono I always do a checklist when turning system on and at each gas stop to see the switch in the middle stop for PTT only

My Kenwoods have an interface cable tying it to the Autocomm, and the optional lead with input for my earbuds in the helmet lead.

The mic I mentioned has what looks like a standard mini-plug. I guess my question was.. are adaptors available, does the radio kit come with one, etc..

Can it be made to work, basically. Has anyone done anything like this themselves.

My versions came with no adapters for other brands, I do not recall seeing any in the catalog or online either. Autocomm has a tech site I believe you could ask. They had seperate interfaces for Kenwood or motorola radios

Back