• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Big Ear Earbuds Problem

jackklau

I bought Big Ear custom earbuds at a national rally. Cost about $700. When I take my helmet off the earbuds come out of my ears and injure my outer ear as they roll up my head. Big Ear's solution is to cut up my helmet liner which I will not do.

Anyone else had this problem? Remedy?

Best,

Jack

Big Ear refitted and remade my earplugs at a winter bike show but the new ones were no better. In hindsight, I should have asked for a refund, although I doubt that Big Ear would comply. With the issue you are experiencing I believe that is your only option. Then find another custom ear making company.

No problem like that with my custom molded earbuds but I seem to have a loose connection now in the left one. Mine are old and don't seal as well as they used to so I know it's time to get new ones made.

For myself getting my helmet on and off I pull the shell apart a bit by tugging on the straps which I find helps not contacting the earbuds.

I bought the In Ear Sports molded ear buds at the national rally, similar price. With my AGV helmet the liner pushes against my ear and breaks the seal. Tried them with my old/retired Shoei and there was no issue, works fine. So I think it's going to be a matter of finding the right helmet/ear bud combination.

When I spoke with the then owner of Big Ear after my replacement set was no better than the first pair, he refused to acknowledge my explaining to him that the Big Ear plugs were only a touch better than no earplugs. He simply kept stating that Big Earplugs always reduced sound up to 130 decibels. I went back to disposal foam earplugs.

In all fairness to his product, a year or so later when having my hearing tested by an audiologist, I asked why custom made earplugs (had four pairs made over the years) did not work for me. The reason apparently is my ear cartilage is unusually soft compared to most people’s ears and therefore they cannot stay in place.

Maybe wearing a helmet liner might solve Michael’s issues. :dunno

I use a helmet liner and it helps keeping the earplugs in place with putting the helmet on and taking it off.

I had a pair of Big Ear earplugs made earlier this summer at a rally and they do not work as well as my prior set of earplugs. Ever ride with a window down in an SUV and you get that boom boom boom sound? That's what it's like with the Big Ear earplugs. I don't get that with disposable foam ear plugs. My previous set was made by Arizona Al, as he was called, and he was with Ear Inc. I may try to find a local person here with Ear Inc.

I have pretty much always have trouble with ear devices coming off/out with helmet removal. I do think a silk helmet liner would help……but then the eyeglasses have some half removal trouble.

OM

I see that the OP mentions Earbuds...are these the type which have speakers embedded in the earplug? I've been using Big Ear "plugs" for quite a few years and never have issues with them coming off/out. They are molded to my ear canal and do not stick out past my ear...in fact, they sort of have to be "screwed" in to align with the shape of the ear canal.

If it is the electrical kind, that's a different animal I suppose. The wire has to stick out somewhat doesn't it?

I use a helmet liner and it helps keeping the earplugs in place with putting the helmet on and taking it off.

I had a pair of Big Ear earplugs made earlier this summer at a rally and they do not work as well as my prior set of earplugs. Ever ride with a window down in an SUV and you get that boom boom boom sound? That's what it's like with the Big Ear earplugs. I don't get that with disposable foam ear plugs. My previous set was made by Arizona Al, as he was called, and he was with Ear Inc. I may try to find a local person here with Ear Inc.

The late Al Schibi, aka Arizona Al, had put together the best solution I’ve ever found for earplugs with sound. His setup moved the transducers out of the ear and down to a chest-level junction, with air tubes running up to the earplugs. Great bass, great sound, and no wires to break pulling a helmet on or off. I really miss Al and his solutions- no one at EAR seems to be carrying that solution forward.

Best,
DeVern

I bought Big Ear custom earbuds at a national rally. Cost about $700. When I take my helmet off the earbuds come out of my ears and injure my outer ear as they roll up my head. Big Ear's solution is to cut up my helmet liner which I will not do.

Anyone else had this problem? Remedy?

Best,

Jack

I have had Big Ear, and now Fit-Ear buds. Pretty much the same. When I take off my helmet I use both hands and grab each side and pull out and up. The helmet might flex 1/4" but it is enough.

I have had Big Ear, and now Fit-Ear buds. Pretty much the same. When I take off my helmet I use both hands and grab each side and pull out and up. The helmet might flex 1/4" but it is enough.

Thanks for the comments. I got the earbuds with the speakers inside. They stick out much farther than the ones I was replacing and have a hard outer shell. My guess is this combination creates the problem. I'm done with injured outer ears and have gone back to my old ones. The owner of Big Ear, I think Glen Hood, went radio silent when I observed cutting up my helmet liner did not seem like an appropriate remedy. Photo attached FYI.

Bir Ear.jpg

Back