• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Battery- what's out there?

I've had so-so luck with Westco from the Boneyard. They state a 1 year no questions asked warranty. I had one fail prematurely, Boneyard had record of purchase and asked for photo of Battery. New one was delivered in 2 days, no questions asked. I greatly appreciate that level of customer service and tend to reward any vendor for same. FWIW, the replacement has been in the bike for 3 years, parked in a carport through Pennsylvania winters always on an Accumate charger also from the Boneyard. I have no affiliation to the Boneyard, but as I said, they been berry-berry good to me! :hug

Agree on the BeemerBoneyard tip. Routinely order from them.... Great customer service and very fast shipping. They just didn't carry Yuasa.

My research led me to the Yuasa; particularly attracted to the idea that it ships dry and therefore fresher. Not sure if there's technical merit to this or if this has more to do with shipping constraints. The other point of interest was that sizing was closer to stock, with built-in plastic covers for the terminals.... While the Odyssey fits in a R1150R, it is taller than stock, putting the terminals way too close to the metal tank. I had to fashion and ziptie some plastic over the +ve terminal... And manage loss of room for an aftermarket accessory fuse box.

It's scheduled for delivery today. And also comes with a year warranty. Will see how long it lasts... Can't find much relevant info on this front.

The original/stock exide gel battery gave decent service life (I think 4+ years) and gave plenty of warning when it's time was up... Slow to crank. Same with my first Odyssey... Slow to crank 7+ years into its service.

The last 2 Odyssey were sudden failures on the road. With no early warning/ indication. Both times I had stopped for a pee break only to return to a bike that wouldn't start, roadside.

Hoping the Yuasa has decent service life and fair warning when it's end is close by.... And still wonder why both the last 2 Odyssey's failed the way they did, not to mention their very short lifespans.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

I have no clue as to shipping regulations, but Boneyard won't/can't ship a wet Westco outside the USA.:dunno

Agree on the BeemerBoneyard tip. Routinely order from them.... Great customer service and very fast shipping. They just didn't carry Yuasa.

My research led me to the Yuasa; particularly attracted to the idea that it ships dry and therefore fresher. Not sure if there's technical merit to this or if this has more to do with shipping constraints. The other point of interest was that sizing was closer to stock, with built-in plastic covers for the terminals.... While the Odyssey fits in a R1150R, it is taller than stock, putting the terminals way too close to the metal tank. I had to fashion and ziptie some plastic over the +ve terminal... And manage loss of room for an aftermarket accessory fuse box.

It's scheduled for delivery today. And also comes with a year warranty. Will see how long it lasts... Can't find much relevant info on this front.

..............snip.......
Hoping the Yuasa has decent service life and fair warning when it's end is close by.... And still wonder why both the last 2 Odyssey's failed the way they did, not to mention their very short lifespans.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

My YUASA has been in my R1100RT for 2.5 years. Great performance so far. In the RT with the ABS low voltage test I don’t usually keep a battery more than 3 years. This YUASA, I might keep longer if it keeps it up. AGM batteries are more prone to sudden failure than wet cell, don’t know why. Most will eventually fail slowly and give plenty of warning. In my Airheads, I run an AGM for 5 or 6 years and then just replace them before failure. Bad things happen to the whole electrical system when you try to run a battery down to the last possible day.

Back