• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

battery charging question 600/5

chwood4

I have a 1972 600/5 that when I inserted the key and attempted to start via the electric starter, noticed that while all indicator lights were lit, the motor turned over a bit slowly. I decided to put it on a trickle charge overnight. I disconnected the positive cable, put the charger on the battery and left. 15 hours I turned off & disconnected the charger and reconnected the battery. When I pushed down on the key There was nothing, no lights, no starter..... I realized that I had left the key in the ignition during the charge, but it had been midline in the switch ( not turned to the right or left) and was pulled up as far as it would go, yet still be in the ignition.

Before I take off the headlight shell and take a look, does anyone have any ideas? The battery is just under two years old, and I took the bike out for a quick run about 30 days ago and had no issues.... I never have left the key in the ignition before, ( and will not do so again) but as the positve pole was off the battery during the actual charge, could thie key be the cause of the problem? Many thanks for your thoughts

What's the battery voltage measured across the terminals? Just wondering if the battery actually got charged. Usually when I trickle charge my battery, I remove the negative side, not the positive. Not sure it's necessary to remove either, but the negative seems the correct one to me.

I don't think the key did anything one way or the other. I'd look for other obvious things first. Recheck your battery connections.

Not sure of your problem but you should NEVER disconnect the positive battery post without first disconnecting the negative post. With the negative connected you've got a direct path to ground if the wrench you're using even touches the frame at all during the process. This will destroy the battery, cause mega zaps and probably weld the wrench to the frame, as well.
ALWAYS disconnect the negative post first and ALWAYS connect the positive post first. "Negative off, positive on" is the mantra to keep in mind. That way you never get rude surprises of a shocking nature.

Little Egypt Airheads
'66 R50/2
'76 R75/6
'80 R100RT

Let's assume that when you say "mid-line"' your'e speaking to right or left of center. As you know, the key (nail) has 2 detents. Second click down is ignition hot and first click is simply holding the "nail" in place. Remove the "key/nail", charge the battery, re-connect making the ground connection last and then insert the key to see what happens. Also, make sure your battery connections are clean and tight. As a /5 owner, I have experienced battery cables that get a little bit loose and create mayhem.

Also,..also...being a "72 your bike might have fuses in the headlight shell. Earlier /5's did not have fuses. Check inside your headlight shell. If so equipped, there would be 3 fuse holders in a combo clip in the lower part of the headlight shell.

thanks for the tip. I am sure the key was in the first detent. i"ll follow your suggestion and will let you know how it goes. When I tried to start it the first time following the charge ..the silence of the starter/ motor was not a happy sound! tha nks

Back