• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Bar & Mirror question, 1975 R90/6

Santa Cruz Island, on a very clear day?

attachment.php

1975 bars standard for USA were higher than the European style. They are still available from the dealer, though they have friction points along where they attach to the hold-downs. Some of the pictures I've seen in this thread are "higher" than the originals. I have a '75 R60/6 which I bought new. The bars available from the dealer are exactly the same in height. They're pricey...I don't know if original mirrors are available from the dealer. The originals will be marked "Bumm". I've seen some available, new, on ebay, but they're not "Bumm".

Although the R90/s fairing was to me a thing of Great Beauty (even more so the older the /5, /6, and /7's get), they are little more than bug catchers as far as wind protection.

Charlie

p.s. Yes I did have one once.

Here's an odd one: the lever that you use to pull down the Center stand broke off somewhere along the line. Don't even know what it looks like.

Should I just replace the whole thing? Trying to find someone to fabricate and weld on a new tab might be a tall order.

Mine broke off on my old R90S. I found another center stand on a bike and took a photo of it. I then bought a 1/4 inch bolt at Lowes about 10 inches long and ground the threaded end flat. I used a pair of vice grips to hold it on the center stand and did a few trial and errors bending until it came close to being like the original. I then had it welded on the stand and cut the head off and painted it. It worked ok, but after awhile I decided to find another one. I called Oak, who had one, and I bought it from him for about $20 dollars. I was much happier with that one. Anyway, look on eBay for one, they come up from time to time. Remember, the tang is not used to lever the bike up like the newer bikes, only to push the center stand down. Then remove your foot and place it on the beefier foot of the stand and use that to lever it up.

Edit: I see, Kurt beat me, but that link looks good.

Not so odd!

View attachment 61459AntiGravity here, my /5 did not have one (missing), & I was using the "pull down tab" on the /6 like I did on a '92 R100 to pull the bike up & broke it off. A local AirHead/K-Brick Guru has a leftover Hippy/Biker accomplice that was fabricating 2 & 4 stroke pipes for Bassani back in the day. His work is better than stock!
Take the original to a local shop with photos of a complete one, or another AirHead with the same stand if available. The tab is brazed not welded. Like the others have posted, it wasn't meant to haul the bike up.

IMG_8042.jpg

IMG_8041.jpg

I've learned to move my foot from the "tab" after kicking it down, to the center stand "foot".

Attachments

• IMG_8041.jpg
    IMG_8041.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:
Back