• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Bar & Mirror question, 1975 R90/6

dseero

Vagabond
Don't have a better picture at the moment but recently purchased a 1975 R90/6. It's had a number of cosmetic changes, origin unknown.

Believe these had a low bar option but don't know if that's what these are.

More importantly, I'd like to replace the bar-end mirrors with an original style or after market equivalents. Have fairly wide shoulders so if they were a little longer than Stock that would be a plus.

For extra credit - I had a BMW windshield on my R65. Are they still available? Just want something to break the wind for highway trips. Seems like a lot of owners go with the R90/S fairing and windshield.
2E6A33DB-F18C-4105-9083-72D447AFF079-3724-000003CB6AA04BB5_tmp.jpg

Glad you're getting to know your new stablemate! I don't have any direct answers to your questions...I'm sure others will come along with some input. In the meantime, I'll offer up these suggestions. First, I put together this small thread on various ways to search the forum:

https://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?77843-Tips-on-Searching-the-MOA-Forum

I'll have to say that the direct search tools in vBulletin kind of don't work so well, but it's worth a try. The tag cloud can be useful if someone has properly tagged previous threads about the subject you're interested in. I check the cloud...didn't see anything right off the bat.

One thing that I like to use is google's site search. I entered "site:bmwmoa.org bar end mirror" in the google search box and found a couple of hits that might be worth pursing.

https://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?37893-Bar-End-Mirrors

https://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?59185-5-Mirror-options

There might be newer information but it's a start. You could try the same thing with fairings...the names Rifle, Parabellum come to mind.

Thank you. I used the "site:" search on GIS as well as the vBulletin organic search.

Probably have to take a better picture of the bars so someone can establish if they are OEM or aftermarket.

Worst case I'll reverse the bar-end mirrors so they are above the bars and closer to my line of vision. Just think they look ridiculous on a 60hp touring bike.

Thank you. I used the "site:" search on GIS as well as the vBulletin organic search.

Probably have to take a better picture of the bars so someone can establish if they are OEM or aftermarket.

Worst case I'll reverse the bar-end mirrors so they are above the bars and closer to my line of vision. Just think they look ridiculous on a 60hp touring bike.

Try looking up MAXBMW's web site and click on "parts". There you can select the model of bike and look thru the parts microfiche. I think you will find an option for long stem mirrors. I use a long stem mirror on the left side of my R75/5, which has USA bars. I tried that because it was mostly me reflected in the left side mirror with the original length stem. I also use a small, stick on, fish eye mirror in the upper left quadrant of the mirror.

In the picture, your bike appears to have the Euro bars.

Hard to see your bars from that one pic. The shortest and flatest bars BMW put on bikes were the R100RS models. Those bikes didn't have mirrors on the handle bar, but on the side of the fairing. The BMW R90/100 S got the long stalk mirrors on the handle bar. The American style longer handle bar got the shorter mirror stalk. Now you gotta do whatever is appropriate to see what's behind ya. :thumb

Just think they look ridiculous on a 60hp touring bike.

Antigravity here, You are right. To save you the embarrassment, give the bike to me!

Here's a couple photos of a '76 R90 that was thrashed when I found it.

The standard bars were replaced with Flanders copies of the S bars.
IMG_0460.jpg

It's even more ridiculous looking with these goofy looking bags when there're mounted.
IMG_0451.jpg

Seriously, about that wimpy "60HP"
There's a guy in SoCal that claims he can triple the HP of any bike.
DSCF1614.jpg

Most replacement parts back to '70 are still available through BMW. Some dealers have on-line parts fiche available.

Bill

P.S. I'm willing to take that stupid looking fork brace off your hands if you don't want to give up the bike.
Also, AVOID AirHeads! If they aren't drinking beer there're talking, either way you will wind up with a giant AirHeadAche.

Last edited:
Those aren't mirrors... these are mirrors.

Patterned after the "Stadium" mirrors of the 70s these are English-made Halcyon 820. I have two of them on my /5 ( because my original Stadiums finally gave up the ghost after 40 years). Completely adjustable for angle of rotation, and they're spring loaded so they can be rotated up and out of the way for narrow work like parking in the garage, and lane splitting.

Definitely no problem at all seeing around my shoulders even with the old Magura Euro bars. Highly recommended.

mirror 2.jpg mirror 4.jpg mirror 1.jpg

BTW, let me know if you decide to get rid of those goofy looking bags.

BTW, let me know if you decide to get rid of those goofy looking bags.[/QUOTE]

Those little Krauser Starlet bags are really kinda cute. :thumb

Hard to tell from your pic, but those look like Napoleon bar end mirrors. I've used those for years on a number of bikes (albeit positioned so the mirror is above the handlebar). For function, they are the best I've used. I also believe they are a 'period' correct accessory if that matters. Beware replacing them with 'Napoleon style' mirrors as those are copies that have bizarre magnifying glass inserts.

Hard to tell from your pic, but those look like Napoleon bar end mirrors. I've used those for years on a number of bikes (albeit positioned so the mirror is above the handlebar). For function, they are the best I've used. I also believe they are a 'period' correct accessory if that matters. Beware replacing them with 'Napoleon style' mirrors as those are copies that have bizarre magnifying glass inserts.
Thanks. I have seen them on other similar bikes, though usually reversed.

The long mirrors I would need seem hard to find so I may just flip them side to side (so they are above the bars) and leave them be. They have detents to swing away, a nice feature.

From details like the repaint and seat there have been a number of mods over the years that I'm trying to sort through. For example, the fork brace is bolted to the fender in front, but not in the rear: there are holes in the fork brace but not the fender. The right shock has a Shrader valve, presumably for air or nitrogen charging, but the left shock does not. The Fiamm horns were probably a common change as most disc horns seem to be designed not to inform traffic of your presence, but to embarrass the rider with the ineffectual bleat.

The "Good Idea Fairie" seems to have visited a number of times. I'm hoping to go to a YB breakfast and someone will say, "Hey, I owned that bike in nnnn" and fill in the blanks. Future decisions involve whether to replace the R90 badge and add the anti-wear pad back to the tank (adding Stompgrip might be applauded or reviled, it appears) . It seems the most "period correct" detail of this bike is the owner....

//The standard bars were replaced with Flanders copies of the S bars.//
View attachment 59956
Are there manufacturers marks on the bars?

Last edited:
Napoleon mirrors on a R90S the same color.

When I got my R90S (painted in Chevy pickup red), I replaced the stock mirrors with Napoleon mirrors. I do not know if I like the look now, but these are what they look like up close. I too think they are what you have.

Wayne

Attachments

• Front view.jpg
    Front view.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 244
  • Side view.jpg
    Side view.jpg
    125.4 KB · Views: 242
Thank you. Because the bike is currently stored 100 miles away I made a "walk around" video. So of course, the topic of interest is barely shown.

There's another oddity: the center stand does not seem to have an extension to pull it down. Quite odd.

Based on the VIN, the bike was built in August 1975...right on the cusp of change to the 1976 model. One major thing that was done for the 1976 models is the engine opening to accept the cylinder spigots was increased from 97mm to 99mm. The larger opening makes the case able to accept larger barrels that came out once the 1000cc models showed up. They make aftermarket kits for both case sizes, though. If/when you get to looking into it, you could measure your actual case opening. Could be that your 1975 model got a case for 1976 while on the assembly line.

On this vintage BMW the center stand was rather flimsy. The rod to push it down was only to do that, push it down. If you put any force on it it would bend, or even break off. My R90S was broken off, but a trip to the local welder with a piece of 1/4 rod pre bent to the approximate shape resulted in an almost as good as new solution. Ebay is also another place to find a replacement stand. On that note, the bolts that hold the stand the center stand often come loose, resulting in their threads wearing out. Check them too. I had to re-tap mine to use a slightly bigger American thread to replace them because they were so worn.

Wayne

Are there manufacturers marks on the bars?

Not that I can see. The MAX BMW fiche shows the standard "raised" handlebar backordered until 12/17.

These are photos of the /5 sold after buying the /6. It had the stock American "raised" bars & mirrors. /5 & /6 are the same.
sddfcv 178.jpg

sddfcv 312.jpg

I would have replaced with stock on the /6 except a fellow rider with extra stuff in the garage offered these to me!
IMG_5386.jpg

I will go back to the original bars, mirrors & tank eventually.

There are tons of aftermarket bits and pieces that are available. Some replicas of OEM, others improved versions.

A /5 at local dealers 100th. anniversary party had a small windshield that looked as if it was designed for it. I asked its owner who made it, he replied "Memphis Shade".
Little did I know Memphis Shade has 8,000 variants of that screen.

Bill

Last edited:
From the Flanders website

IMG_2062.jpg
You can get any handlebar you want at Flanders Handlebars.
You have to scroll down down down past the Harley stuff to get to it.
Bill

Bar & Mirror question 75 R90/6

RE: post # 11

I have BMW S bars with Napolean bar end mirrors on 3 of my road bikes, however I orient the mirrors differently than shown. I have the wider part of the mirror toward the outside of the bike. I find this gives me a better view of the traffic behind and less of my arms. I can just barely see my elbows in thee mirrors while looking forward down the road. YMMV

Friedle

RE: post # 11

I have BMW S bars with Napolean bar end mirrors on 3 of my road bikes, however I orient the mirrors differently than shown. I have the wider part of the mirror toward the outside of the bike. I find this gives me a better view of the traffic behind and less of my arms. I can just barely see my elbows in thee mirrors while looking forward down the road. YMMV

Friedle

You are right, that is the way they should be mounted, but there is less "cool" factor that way. By the time I took the photo I had sold the bike to a friend of mine, an ex professional road racer from the seventies. Sad to say, he passed away a few months ago from brain cancer. I am thinking of trying to buy the bike back to remember him.

Last edited:
Back