• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Back for more tech help

alke46

So I am replacing the 16 year old tires on the bike today and man, that old rubber does not want to leave the rim.

Anyway, finally got the front tire off and encountered the TPMS, which is something totally new to me. My question is in regards to changing the valve stem. I want to put a 90° stem in for easier checking and airing when necessary.
Can I just take out enough slack in the hose clamp looking device as long as the TPMS doesn't get moved so I can remove the old stem and replace it?
If there is anything I need to be extra careful about, please pass it on to me.

Thanks in advance.

I am not sure what TPMS that bike might have. I doubt it was OEM. A photo might help.

100 per cent agree with this statement. This 1st pic shows the display unit.
IMG_20220817_143227511 by Larry Alkire, on Flickr

This 2nd pic shows the monitor mounted to the i/s center of the wheel.
IMG_20220817_143330309 by Larry Alkire, on Flickr

The 3rd pic shows how it is secured.
IMG_20220817_143342134 by Larry Alkire, on Flickr

And pic #4 shows the protective covering preventing any damage to the valve stem.
IMG_20220817_143407396 by Larry Alkire, on Flickr

I'm tempted to just remove the entire mess as I have never in my nearly 45 years of riding have needed such a luxury.

I'm tempted to just remove the entire mess as I have never in my nearly 45 years of riding have needed such a luxury.

Assuming it still works that is about the best TPMS money could buy. But it has to be 10 years old by now and battery live in the wheel sensors is finite. I had that system on my R1150R and loved it, and the alarm function saved me a lot of grief on a couple of occasions.

As for the 90 degree stem extensions they can be an issue with rubber valve stems - causing too much flexing from centrifugal force.

But to your question, mark where the sensor is; loosen the clamp, change the stems, and retighten the clamp with the sensor back where it was.

Back