• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

mistercindy

I'm on several forums and typically use a martini avatar. My favorite (I use it on ADVrider and a couple of other forums), is animated in that the swizzle stick with an olives moves stirring the drink. Kinda cool! Anyway, when I first got on BMWMOA's forum I tried to upload it and got a window that says:

"You may not upload animated images."

It gives no reference to size. It simply says that I can't upload it because its animated. No big deal, I just found a non-animated substitute. Well, the other day I noticed an animated avatar and thought that the forum had changed to allow them, so I tried again and got the same window. I got curious and looked for others and found four animated avatars belonging to the following: Holly, lorazapan, Braddog, and deilenberger (there may be others). Obviously one can upload animated avatars, so the message I'm getting isn't right.

So, I thought it might be a matter of size. My animated avatar pixel size is 50 x 66 and is 3,854 bytes. I'm not a computer geek, but from what I read my avatar seems well within the size limits for this forum (the limits are 59 x 70 pixels and a byte size no bigger than 19,500). I then compared it to the four other animated avatars I found on this forum. The byte size of my avatar is smaller than three of them (the largest barely qualifies at 19,495), and my pixel size is smaller than two of them (the largest is 70 x 60).

Then I thought that it might be my computer, so I tried from three computers and I get the same window from each.

I'd like to use my moving martini! :D What gives?

I just tried uploading (as well as linking to) an animated avatar. No luck.

501130069_gtCVv-M.gif

my guess is the rule changed, and as long as you already had one, it's still there, but it's no longer a valid file extension.

The question then is why the change? Are we really that hard up for space?

Hey, just a bump here but I'm curious as to what the rules are and why. Can we get a ruling or . . . . . ?

You'd really like my animated avatar, honest! :laugh

I do believe it was a rule change that happened. Anyone with an animated avatar kept theirs but the system will not allow new ones. Since I wasn't a mod at the time, let me verify that information, as well as the reasoning for it and then I'll update.

At least you all have figured out how to get an original avatar up and running. I have been here in forum land for about 4 months. Working my way through has been slow. When there is a change such as the animated non-animated as you spoke of, complicated by the fact that you are moving between sites that are using the same software-just different versions it fouls up my learning curve. :scratch

Back