• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Auxiliary Lighting

chipcall61

I'm interested in replacing the fog lamps that came as an option on my 2007 R1200 GS Adventure. I am very disappointed in the BMW lamps but they're not really meant for the kind of lighting I desire. I live in an area of North Carolina where the deer are as thick as fleas and I want to literally turn the night into day while on back country roads. Does anyone have suggestions as to what the best and brightest lamps may be?

I use Motolights more for the purpose of "Being seen" rather than trying to see better at night. To me the danger factor goes way up at night especially from unseen road hazards and animals. You got be nuts to ride at night in the Texas Hill Country or down Near Big Bend area even in a car because of all the deer hits every night. Truth is I'm not sure seeing deer along the road helps other than to slow down. Even if you see a deer, it's no guarantee they're going to run in the right direction or there aren't several others out of sight that will quickly follow.

For the original question, BMW offers Xenon Lights as an option for the 1200GT and I'm wondering if it would be possible to somehow rig that option on your GS. I know riders have installed after market Xenon lights on RT's though still very pricey. I'm told they double the ability to see at night with better depth perception and clarity. Having said that, I'm wondering if the reason BMW doesn't offer Xenon on the GS's is perhaps there may be an issue with them being more suseptable to failure with off road hard vibration.:dunno I would be sure Xenon is durable and that's assuming you would want to pay the high price for them before trying to add them. Good luck with that.

When I had an 1150GS I ran Hella FF50s, 55W each. I don't have as much juice on this F650, so I run Hella Optilux 1500s, 35W each. It takes a little trial and error to get them angled the way you want them, but both make a BIG difference in what you can see. And everybody comments on how well they can see me.

Sarah

Decided on the PIAA 510s. Not being good with electronics and a little mystified by the "canbus" system, does anyone know whether these can be directly spliced into the existing BMW wiring that came with the foglights? Or am I better off resorting to my local dealer to do the install?

I'm interested in replacing the fog lamps that came as an option on my 2007 R1200 GS Adventure. I am very disappointed in the BMW lamps but they're not really meant for the kind of lighting I desire. I live in an area of North Carolina where the deer are as thick as fleas and I want to literally turn the night into day while on back country roads. Does anyone have suggestions as to what the best and brightest lamps may be?

Can you please post a pic of your bike with the BMW fog lamps? I'm looking for fog lamps for my bike and deciding which to buy.... Also, if you decide to change yours out let me know if you are going to sell the BMW ones!:brad

BMW Foglights

Kristi,

I do plan on selling the foglights as I will have no need for them after installing the PIAAs. You've got first dibs on them if you'd like. I'm not sure what I actually paid for them as even although they were options, they were already on the bike when I bought it. I'll let you have them cheap if you want them.

Chip

Try replacing the bulbs

I'm replacing the stock fog lamps with these bulbs ($50)
From this site http://www.bestrestproducts.com/celestia/order/orderform/?recno=83
Pic taken by Dronning from AdvRider
I don't have them yet, but after reading about how they just plug and play into the stock housings and after seeing the picture I thought I'd give it a shot. (Guess which one has the new bulb?)
For a $300+ option the stock fogs are really, really bad. I would not have ordered these on the bike, but since I drove mine off the floor with them I'll try and improve what I've got
I'm not affiliated at all with the site mentioned above

Sanders

Attachments

• H11bulb_450a-1.jpg
    H11bulb_450a-1.jpg
    9.1 KB · Views: 274
Last edited:
Back