• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Are old tires dangerous?

zoridog

I drove home my new 85 K100RT last weekend. As I got to highway speed, my handlebars started shaking violently. The cold tire pressure was almost at the max of 41 psi. I let out enough air to get 32 psi on the front and 36 on the rear. Now I get vibration instead of shaking.

During this process I saw that the front tire had a lot number indicating that it was made in the summer of 2000! The tire has no cracks or discoloration.

I have two weekend tours scheduled and was planning to replace the tire when I got back. I'm a very, very conservative rider.

Am I asking for trouble? What would you do in my shoes?

I have a 1985 K100RT I bought last summer and which I enjoy tremendously. I have never had such shaking. It is very smooth, very little engine vibration and none from the tires. Have the tires checked for balance, out of round, to perhaps isolate the cause of the shaking or vibration. But I think I would go ahead and replace the tires, and also check the steering bearings, fork oil, ... basically give the front a good going over before taking it on a weekend trip.

Dave
'85K100RT
'91 Yamaha XT600

I have a 1985 K100RT I bought last summer and which I enjoy tremendously. I have never had such shaking. It is very smooth, very little engine vibration and none from the tires. Have the tires checked for balance, out of round, to perhaps isolate the cause of the shaking or vibration. But I think I would go ahead and replace the tires, and also check the steering bearings, fork oil, ... basically give the front a good going over before taking it on a weekend trip.

Dave
'85K100RT
'91 Yamaha XT600

What Dave said, except I wouldn't necessarily swap out the tires - yet. You would like fresh rubber better, but if your bike has been stored inside and out of the sun, then there's an even up chance your tires are "ok". Just don't try to drag anything in the corners. :D And I would replace them before doing much extended riding (like in the spring if you are in an area where you'll lay the bike up for the winter).

OTOH, the shaking/vibration you felt is totally not right. A K-bike should be rock solid at virtually any speed. Check all the things Dave mentioned.

Get new tires! The amount of money saved is negligible compared with the piece of mind. And I'm just a poor truck driver.:brow

Tires

You do not take chances with motorcycles. I just replaced a set of Mitzeler Z6's with another set of Z6's on my 05 RT. I think these tires are great. I got 12,300 on the set I replaced.
CW

Hello, With just one square inch of contact per tire one the road between you and life or death, its your call, I personaly would not ride it, SW Moto .com has some reasonable priced tires, Ive got to tell you a storie about my Son inlaw who wanted a bike so bad he had me follow him on a 1980 vintage honda, I seen the bike buck in a corner and dumped him, he luckly landed in a grassy ditch and was ok, we checked the tires and they were hard as a rock but looked ok, we checked the swing arm and it was tight, It seemed to me at the time the tires just could not flex, I believe they tried and bucked ...matthew

If you have to ask.. you've already answered your own question. You will be worrying about these tires for the two weekends of riding (going to Black Diamond Beemer rally? I'll be there..) - so better to change them now then later.

I'd also be checking the steering head bearings for excess play or notching if the tires don't clear up the problem.

Back