• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

anti Saturday ride

O

OUTBACKUFO

Well the plan was to ride Inpendance pass one last time today... since the snowing had stopped and the skies cleared... but well not going to happen... So i am going on a Anit Saturday Ride to the Hot Springs Pool and soak instead and become pruney... :laugh Well the high country got over a 12inches of Snow in the last day if not a lot more above tree line...

And they Closed the Pass for the winter... :cry

SEASONAL
US 34 Trail Ridge Road
Existing Conditions: (wet)(slush)(icy spts)
Restrictions in Place: CLOSED between Milner Pass and Rainbow Curve. Adverse conditions.
Comments: Paved. Alt: 12,183', max grade 5.4%
CO 82 Independence Pass
Existing Conditions: (lt sno)(icy)(snpk)
Restrictions in Place: CLOSED due to weather conditions.
Comments: Paved. Alt: 12,095', max grade 6%. Road narrows near summit. No vehicles over 35' long.

CO 5 Mt Evans
Existing Conditions: (wet)(slush)(icy spts)
Restrictions in Place: CLOSED Echo Lake to top.
Comments: Paved. Alt: 14,264', grade 5-9% open to Summit Lake, 10-15% to top
COS 1 Pikes Peak
Existing Conditions: (wet spts)
Restrictions in Place: OPEN 7A to 5P. Call 719-385-7325 or 800-318-9505 for conditions.
Comments: Paved, gravel sections. Alt: 14,110', max grade 9.5%
CR 12 Kebler Pass
Existing Conditions: (wet)
Restrictions in Place: OPEN weather permitting.
Comments: Gravel. Alt. 9,980'
FR 209, 306 Cottonwood Pass
Existing Conditions: (wet)
Restrictions in Place: OPEN weather permitting.
Comments: ES paved, WS gravel. Alt: 12,126', max grade 6%

so where is your anit saturday ride if you are having bad weather...??

Independence Pass is truly one of my favorite roads and thanks for the heads up on the fact that it's closed for winter already. Which side to you live on? The poor millionaire side at Twin Lakes or the poor billionaire side in Aspen ?

RTRandy said:
Independence Pass is truly one of my favorite roads and thanks for the heads up on the fact that it's closed for winter already. Which side to you live on? The poor millionaire side at Twin Lakes or the poor billionaire side in Aspen ?

I am on the poor billionaire side but on the far west side of the county so i am what is call "up the Crystal" (the name of the valley river) :p ... at 6800ft had snow line last night down to 7000ft..

Four Letter Word!

Is that four letter word, and I don't mean golf, already closing roads?
:jawdrop
Time to ride, ride, ride before the battery tenders and Stabil take over.

Had a ride invite to join an Independence Pass ride on Tuesday (26th), and then explore the road going east out of Basalt along the Frying Pan.

Wrote the ride organizer yesterday I couldn't make it due to work and based on the weather was uncertain if Independence would dry out, if not be closed for the year. Appears it is closed eh? BTW, I've never been on the road along the Frying Pan east out of Basalt. Maybe to Reudi Reservoir? And does it turn to dirt there? Thanks for any perspective on this road if you know it.

sfarson said:
Had a ride invite to join an Independence Pass ride on Tuesday (26th), and then explore the road going east out of Basalt along the Frying Pan.

Wrote the ride organizer yesterday I couldn't make it due to work and based on the weather was uncertain if Independence would dry out, if not be closed for the year. Appears it is closed eh? BTW, I've never been on the road along the Frying Pan east out of Basalt. Maybe to Reudi Reservoir? And does it turn to dirt there? Thanks for any perspective on this road if you know it.

Indy Pass was reopened Weather Permitting but does not mean that there is not Ice on the top... the Frying Pan road is 35pmh and always has a Eagle Country cop on it, and the cars are always cutting the center line in the corners... but beyound that it is a really enjoy able ride. The road above the Ruedi Resv. is really nice and curvy... the Pavement ends a few miles east of Norri (the former nudist colony) at a big switch back where you can turn to park for the Frying Pan Primative area... the dirt is a okay dirt road until after the narrow cliff section then over hagerman pass is really rough and snowed in by now...

OUTBACKUFO said:
Indy Pass was reopened Weather Permitting but does not mean that there is not Ice on the top... the Frying Pan road is 35pmh and always has a Eagle Country cop on it, and the cars are always cutting the center line in the corners... but beyound that it is a really enjoy able ride. The road above the Ruedi Resv. is really nice and curvy... the Pavement ends a few miles east of Norri (the former nudist colony) at a big switch back where you can turn to park for the Frying Pan Primative area... the dirt is a okay dirt road until after the narrow cliff section then over hagerman pass is really rough and snowed in by now...

Excellent perspective. Thanks much.

I am no longer complaining about the "short" riding season in upstate NY. You guys got it rough.

pedrocasper said:
I am no longer complaining about the "short" riding season in upstate NY. You guys got it rough.

??? I ride year round easily at 8800ft. in the Rockies. From yesterday's ride...

r12s126pikes800.jpg

sfarson said:
??? I ride year round easily at 8800ft. in the Rockies. From yesterday's ride...

r12s126pikes800.jpg

I also ride year round and live a 7000ft... the only problem is Dec-early march my dirt road up to my house is snow packed if not ice.. so i have to park the jeep and trailer at the bridge. The roads here can be dry a day after a snow storm it we get a full day of sun... you just have to be real careful once the sun goes down.. this week will be good for riding... suppose to be very sunny for the next few days..

Sold three bikes to pick up the R1200S... and have some $$$ left. Still have the KS! Fewer horses in the barn now, but it was fun feeding and exercising them.

Outback... can understand the snow/ice scenario on the driveway. This green thing on the driveway helps with the year round riding here. :)

jddwsnow.jpg

And if there isn't too much snow, I'll just shovel/sweep a path. Ahhh, memories of a great bike.

krsdw.jpg

sfarson said:
Sold three bikes to pick up the R1200S... and have some $$$ left. Still have the KS! Fewer horses in the barn now, but it was fun feeding and exercising them.

Outback... can understand the snow/ice scenario on the driveway. This green thing on the driveway helps with the year round riding here. :)

jddwsnow.jpg

Wish i had one of these to clear the road... :D just have to slip and slid it down a similar grade..

sfarson said:
Sold three bikes to pick up the R1200S... and have some $$$ left.

Was one of the three the HP2? I'd be interested in hearing your take on owning that bike. I know that you've had several other GSs. [Perhaps in another thread as I've 'jacked this one a bit...]

robsmoto said:
Was one of the three the HP2? I'd be interested in hearing your take on owning that bike. I know that you've had several other GSs. [Perhaps in another thread as I've 'jacked this one a bit...]

HP2 remains, and will for a long time. Most definitely. A hoot off road, and on road... even with the Karoos. While some put the SM street set on, I'm still using the HP2 for its original design and purpose... a stunningly outstanding 100hp, 389lb bike for off road blasts and adventure. Here in CO... there forest and fire roads in every direction, and heck, additionally, many of the other roads in my rural county are unpaved anyway! As for pavement, yesterday was on a lunch ride with a friend on a Kaw ZX-14. The route was tight and twisty tarmac, hairpins, up and down, curves, country roads. The HP just ate it up... even with the knobbies on pavement. Approaching a year. No issues, no regrets.

Indy Pass rules. What a great place to stop and smell the roses!

Oh, and sfarson, I still dig that picture of your driveway.

Back