• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

AeroStich Tank Panniers

shortythorne

shortythorne
I have a question regarding using the AeroStich tank panniers on my 2014 G650GS single. Will they cause me any cooling problems due to where they rest on the faux tank? I have always wanted to try them, as they are a really functional piece of luggage, but have been told (always by someone who has never owned a G650GS) that they "might" cause an air intake problem. I am not looking for opinions on tank panniers, soft luggage, blah, blah, blah...only knowledgeable comments on my question. I would really like to hear from P.Glaves on this. Thanks in advance....Gail:)

I have a question regarding using the AeroStich tank panniers on my 2014 G650GS single. Will they cause me any cooling problems due to where they rest on the faux tank? I have always wanted to try them, as they are a really functional piece of luggage, but have been told (always by someone who has never owned a G650GS) that they "might" cause an air intake problem. I am not looking for opinions on tank panniers, soft luggage, blah, blah, blah...only knowledgeable comments on my question. I would really like to hear from P.Glaves on this. Thanks in advance....Gail:)

You my dear are in luck. I have used Aerostich tank panniers on my F650 single a number of times to no ill effect. There is plenty of room for air to flow downward after the radiator - cooling works just fine. You might feel a little warmth on you calves but I never noticed it as an issue. They absolutely won't block intake air to the engine either.

BTW, Happy New Year!

You my Dear, ARE THE MAN! I knew you would know, I just knew it!!! :) Thanks so much for your quick reply, and Happy New Year to you & Voni. Thanks...Gail

Hey there! I have used them on both the 650 thumper and the 650 twin. NO problems whatsoever. One side I fill with misc items like tire pressure gauge, cloth for wiping face shield (soaked in water, wrung out, and stuffed in a ziplock), and chain lube. Other side has drinking water bottles and stuff i cannot cram into my tank bag and need to access quickly. By wrapping a bungie around through the back slots I can also hook them to the crash bars, and the front bar as well which prevents any moving around. I was worried about them scratching my tank, so I found some seat belt comfort straps at Walmart, with velcro backs, cut them to fit and stuck them on the straps to prevent any rubbing.
Worked out perfectly!

I've got about 10k on mine and leave them on the bike year round. One side holds my tools and misc bike stuff and the other side holds my compressor, water bottle and lunch for commuting. They also block the wind rather nicely in cool weather.

Panniers Good to Go

Like the others here, I've had no problems with the Aerostich panniers. They hold a lot of stuff in a good location, and can also make a nice lower fairing to keep the cold off your upper legs when the temps get chill. I did add helicopter tape to all the places on the "tank" where they might chafe the paint. That was 8 years ago. I just pulled up some of the tape, and the paint still looks like new.

Pictures of Installed Panniers?

Anyone have pictures of the panniers installed on their F650? I just picked up a used pair of the panniers to use on my '03 F650GS. When I throw them over the "tank" the panniers are in the way of my knees, even when the leading strap is pushed all the way to the handlebars.

I tried putting the leading strap forward of the handlebars and the panniers clear my knees. But, I'm concerned that they might interfere with handling and they block the side air inlets.

Turn your head sideways...... these are the "competition" sized panniers.

Punkin_sand-X2.jpg

A more conventional view.

IMG_7143-X2.jpg

You can see that there is plenty of room for hot air to escape, although on hot days you can feel the warmth more when these are in place.

I think my panniers are 20+ years old and work great. I use them mainly to carry heavy, less-frequently-used items like tools. Positioning dead weight like this close to the bike's center of mass greatly improves handling compared to locating the stuff way out back.

Ian

Thanks. I think I have the full size panniers. I'll try to fiddle with them some more tonight and report back.

Turn your head sideways...... these are the "competition" sized panniers.

Punkin_sand-X2.jpg

A more conventional view.

IMG_7143-X2.jpg

You can see that there is plenty of room for hot air to escape, although on hot days you can feel the warmth more when these are in place.

I think my panniers are 20+ years old and work great. I use them mainly to carry heavy, less-frequently-used items like tools. Positioning dead weight like this close to the bike's center of mass greatly improves handling compared to locating the stuff way out back.

Ian
I see you have the Mosko soft side bags. I've got them too, and love the flexibility that they provide for touring.... also don't worry much about dumping anymore as far as damage...

Givi.uploadfromtaptalk1460122235030.jpg
I like being able to remove them, in the rain, with the turn of a key.
They also take drops very well.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Back