• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

A Tribute to a Friend

F

From MARS

I learned yesturday that Corky Reed has died. Many of you may have known Corky since he was active in BMWMOA rallies for years. He is the person who introduced me to BMW's and inspired me to travel on a motorcycle.

I met Corky back in '85. We were both cruising our sailboats down in Florida and had decided to spend the winter in Charlotte Harbor at Burnt Store Marina. He was just hanging out (retired college professors can do that), and I was working at the local repair facility to replinish the kitty. Corky would share tales of his travels on his beemers and on his boat while I worked on the many little projects he needed done. I was so entertained by his stories that I never did get around to billing him.

Corky was a "character". He added color to the world. I remember him telling me about going to the Arctic Circle Rally. He rode his bike from LA (Lower Alabama) to the rally not once, but two years in a row, and he was in his seventies. Corky couldn't say K-bike without putting "f____ing" in front of it because he kept dropping them while trying to negotiate roads that would have been better suited to the GS. But he didn't let that stop him from trying, and it always worked out. Someone would come along and help him right the bike or he would unpack everything and shove whatever was available under the bike, lifting and shoving, until it was at an angle that he could get it back up. Corky sailed the Carribean on his Cape Dory 36, Inerarity, mostly by himself, when he wasn't riding around the country visiting the many friends he had made over the years or hanging out at his place on the water in Lillian, AL.

Voni shared with me the fact that Corky is dead when I asked if she knew him. I had lost touch with him over the last four or five years. Many times I had thought about checking in on him, but life always got in the way. It is my loss. She told me he was found dead in his yard after a hurricane a year or so back. Probably had a heart attack while trying to secure something in the height of the storm. Even though he was in his eighties, he was planning another trip to Alaska on one of his bikes when the hurricane came.

Percy "Corky" Reed added dimension and color to my life and the lives of many others. Everytime I ride my f___ing K-bike, I'll think of him. I'm going for a ride now and let Corky's spirit feel the wind.

Corky sounds like a great friend in a world with far too few of those. My sympathies to you and those who knew him; thank you for allowing us to share in your tribute.

God gave him Grace

The type of man Hemingway wrote of.
God now has given him grace to ride on the wind.:wow

The type of man Hemingway wrote of.
God now has given him grace to ride on the wind.:wow

Exactly!

All who met him were instant friends. The last time I saw him he showed me his RED V-Strom and gleefully told me of his plans to ride to Prudoe Bay one more time, with wife Joan driving a support vehicle.

His obituary couldn't possible capture the sheer vitality of this wonderful man.

>Dr. Percy 'Corky' Carwell Reed -- Age 85, a native of Mobile, AL and a
resident of Perdido, Beach, Al. Died on July 11, 2005. Dr. Reed is
survived by his wife Joan Reed of Perdido Beach, Al; nieces and nephews.
Visitation will be at Wolfe-Bayview Funeral Home, Foley, Al. on Saturday
July 16, 2005 from 5-7pm. Funeral Services will be held on Sunday, July
17, 2005 at 2pm at St. Andrews By The Sea in Perdido Beach, Al. Pastor
Deborah E. Born will officiate. Interment will follow in Lay Cemetery,
Miflin, Al. Arrangements are made by; WOLFE-BAYVIEW FUNERAL HOMES &
CREMATORY INC., 2551 SO. MCKENZIE ST., FOLEY, AL

Published in the Mobile Register on 7/15/2005.

Voni

Am saddened to hear of Corky's passing,I met him down at Bike Week a couple of years ago,and was admiring his RED Wee Strom,and was absolutely in awe,listening to him telling me of his upcoming trip to Prudoe Bay. The world has lost'nother true character..:cry

After speaking to my father in law this morning who lives on Perdido Beach key every winter (when there is a beach), my inlaws knew Corky and Joan, and passed on some of their memories. I never had the pleasure of meeting him, but from talking with them and reading the posts of others on this forum that knew him, I feel I have missed meeting a great person, a great addition to the human race. For everyone who knew him personally, I am saddened for your loss.

Red

Last edited:
Back