• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

A grim day in NH

If you are getting passed on the right, maybe you are in the wrong lane for your speed. In Mass it is legal to pass on the right on a divided highway. Rte. 2 is divided.
I am driving as fast as the other vehicles in the left lane but I don't tailgate is the issue. It's like waving a red flag at these morons. It is NOT LEGAL to tailgate me in the left lane, pass me on the right and then pull in front of me. There are signs on the highway stating passing on the right is illegal. The speed limit is 55mph and I am traveling between 70-80mph, the issue is the 2-3 car lengths between me and the vehicle in front of me.

Passing on the right is legal on MA highways. Here's the reference: https://malegislature.gov/Laws/GeneralLaws/PartI/TitleXIV/Chapter89/Section2 Item c at the end of the last paragraph is what makes it legal.

Also, in MA, the left lane is intended for passing other vehicles, and not for extended travel. If you're riding in the left lane, and other vehicles are passing you on the right, LEOs can write you a violation for that left-lane travel. However, it's rarely done. Most of us have to be in the middle lane of the MassPike to get out of the way of the Troopers. :)

I am seriously contemplating selling my 2016 RT because of the idiots on the road. I stopped riding to work last summer and have ridden only twice this year because of texting, passing on the right, tailgating drivers on RT.2. I turn 64yrs old next week and have 1 more year before I retire. I have 2 young grandsons and riding has become a contact sport that I can't win. Drivers are self absorbed and don't care. I never tailgate and twice this morning had mass***** tailgate me then pass me on the right and pull in right in front of me while driving my RAV4 to work. I seem to enrage them because I leave a few car lengths between me and the car in front of me.

I live in a densely populated area, greater Denver CO w/ 3.5 million people in the tri-county area. Since I ride for pleasure, i.e. non commuting to work, I choose the time of day (well before rush hour in the morning, or well after if it's not going to be too hot out, and routes that have the lowest traffic and it works well for me. I can get up in the mountains away from traffic pretty quickly too but my typical near daily ride of about 40m is in populated areas, but again I found the correct routes to take to avoid the worst of it. No way I will try to negotiate the central freeways here's it's just flat out too dangerous because of tailgaters and road sharks. I'd like to see way more citations given for tailgating and other dangerous driving behaviors but that cost money and time. Your neighbor state did a targeted campaign against tailgating comprised of PSA's backed up by enforcement but I never heard the impact--Connecticut. They noticed 40% of all MVAs involved tailgating so they did this campaign: https://www.norwichbulletin.com/article/20140301/OPINION/140309974

Regardless of my speed or the speed limit, if I'm not actively passing I get out of the passing lane and back into the right lane. If there is a gap big enough to be passed on the right, I'm obviously not passing anyone.

Traffic sucks. We avoid cities. It is supposed to be fun. If it isn't, don't do it. And for those that do endure urban traffic, you have my sincere condolences. Mankind was not intended to live like that. 32 years as a City Planner compel me to say that. We somehow insist on building environments we hate.

Congestion is the price we pay for living in an area with employment opportunities. No congestion = No jobs.

But, back to the incident in NH, while the truck driver appears to be at fault, did the MC group elevate their risk level by riding in a close formation (i.e., side-by-side) which may have limited their options to respond to the right-of-way violation by the truck driver? I'm just asking the question.

.... did the MC group elevate their risk level by riding in a close formation (i.e., side-by-side) which may have limited their options to respond to the right-of-way violation by the truck driver? I'm just asking the question.

I see this all the time, and not always but often it's the helmetless urban HD riders who exercise their right to be cool and stupid at the same time. Yesterday while in my car there were two middle aged dudes riding scooters side-by-side with shorts on and of course w/o helmets here on a very busy urban 4 lane road ruining one asset we have as 2-wheel riders and that is the ability to use the entire lane. Oh well good luck out there you're going to need all the luck you can muster.

You are misinterpreting the Ma. law or maybe I didn't explain the situation correctly. You are allowed to pass on the right only if the left lane is slowing down. If you're traveling in the middle lane and the left lane slows you can continue driving at your rate of speed. You can't use the right lane to pass cars in the left and then cut in front of them, that's weaving in and out of traffic. What happens on RT.2, a two lane divided highway, is that some mass**** driving behind me sees that there's a space cushion in front of me, passes me on the right and then pulls in front of me and continues doing this down the road. That's illegal according to MSP. I am driving at the same rate of speed as everyone else in the left lane but the right lane is constantly slowing because vehicles are exiting and entering the road, very dangerous and the cause of my rear end collisions. Ask me how I know. Example, last year I'm heading home from work in the left lane, there's a moron tailgating me and 4 cars ahead of me is a unmarked MSP(Ma. State Police gray Ford Escape). Speed racer pulls into the right lane and floors his Altima passing me and the 4 vehicles ahead of me including the unmarked MSP. He pulls into the left lane in front of the Statie and BANG, he realizes it's a cop, pulls into the right lane, MSP follows and lights him up. I'm laughing my ass off and beeping my horn as I drive by. This interpretation of the passing on the right has been explained to me by MSP.
Weaving in and out of the left lane while passing on the right is dangerous and ILLEGAL. Another example driving home last night in the left lane Harley rider in back of me sees an opening on the right, pulls into the right lane, passes the 4 cars in front of me and pulls back into the left lane. ILLEGAL!
Occasionally there's a flashing LED board on RT.2 that's says, PASSING ON THE RIGHT IS ILLEGAL.
I used to teach the MSF beginner and Experienced course for Ma. and this was explained to me by RMV folks and the MSP.

Passing on the right is legal on MA highways. Here's the reference: https://malegislature.gov/Laws/GeneralLaws/PartI/TitleXIV/Chapter89/Section2 Item c at the end of the last paragraph is what makes it legal.

Also, in MA, the left lane is intended for passing other vehicles, and not for extended travel. If you're riding in the left lane, and other vehicles are passing you on the right, LEOs can write you a violation for that left-lane travel. However, it's rarely done. Most of us have to be in the middle lane of the MassPike to get out of the way of the Troopers. :)
Please read my reply/explanation below on passing on the right in Ma. Riding in the middle lane on a multi lane highway is a death sentence, cars behind, in front and on either side. Try passing an MSP on the right on the Pike and tell me what happens, Ha! Ha!

Please read my reply/explanation below on passing on the right in Ma. Riding in the middle lane on a multi lane highway is a death sentence, cars behind, in front and on either side. Try passing an MSP on the right on the Pike and tell me what happens, Ha! Ha!

I thought they disbanded the pike troop? :deal :rofl
OM

You are misinterpreting the Ma. law or maybe I didn't explain the situation correctly. You are allowed to pass on the right only if the left lane is slowing down. If you're traveling in the middle lane and the left lane slows you can continue driving at your rate of speed. You can't use the right lane to pass cars in the left and then cut in front of them, that's weaving in and out of traffic. What happens on RT.2, a two lane divided highway, is that some mass**** driving behind me sees that there's a space cushion in front of me, passes me on the right and then pulls in front of me and continues doing this down the road. That's illegal according to MSP. I am driving at the same rate of speed as everyone else in the left lane but the right lane is constantly slowing because vehicles are exiting and entering the road, very dangerous and the cause of my rear end collisions. Ask me how I know. Example, last year I'm heading home from work in the left lane, there's a moron tailgating me and 4 cars ahead of me is a unmarked MSP(Ma. State Police gray Ford Escape). Speed racer pulls into the right lane and floors his Altima passing me and the 4 vehicles ahead of me including the unmarked MSP. He pulls into the left lane in front of the Statie and BANG, he realizes it's a cop, pulls into the right lane, MSP follows and lights him up. I'm laughing my ass off and beeping my horn as I drive by. This interpretation of the passing on the right has been explained to me by MSP.
Weaving in and out of the left lane while passing on the right is dangerous and ILLEGAL. Another example driving home last night in the left lane Harley rider in back of me sees an opening on the right, pulls into the right lane, passes the 4 cars in front of me and pulls back into the left lane. ILLEGAL!
Occasionally there's a flashing LED board on RT.2 that's says, PASSING ON THE RIGHT IS ILLEGAL.
I used to teach the MSF beginner and Experienced course for Ma. and this was explained to me by RMV folks and the MSP.
If you are one of those people that are clogging up the left lane then I will say I'm sorry that I have to pass you on the right, but until you people keep right except to pass I will continue to use the right lane to get around you. The End.

Please define "clogging up" the left lane. Here in AZ I could be in the left lane executing the passing of one or more cars to the right of me and running somewhat over the speed limit. I will still get passed on the right (3 lanes of traffic) by other cars because I am not "speeding enough" for them. I do pull to the right once I am done passing. These drivers that engage in "Frogger" as they meander down the road really piss me off. Just a tad of patience would be nice.

Truth, and all the people in the middle and left lane block the Highway Patrols line of sight from the center or opposite direction. Here even the truck drivers all drive in the middle because so many people suck at merging. Right lane is actually the most empty lane.

Interstate throughways in cities are insane. I gotta pick route out of town carefully. Survival is the only attitude for a motorcyclist. Not gonna make it dicing with two ton mashers. The countryside has other considerations.

For me, riding these days is less enjoyment than high alert. It's finding the safe lane, SUVs tear by slamming on brakes for next light, I putt through mostly not stopping. Last light nail it, bye bye.

Back when I started riding the cars etc. were junk that couldn't get out their own way. Today not so much. A new Camry could likely compete with an XK120 at Lime Rock.

Last edited:
Please define "clogging up" the left lane. Here in AZ I could be in the left lane executing the passing of one or more cars to the right of me and running somewhat over the speed limit. I will still get passed on the right (3 lanes of traffic) by other cars because I am not "speeding enough" for them. I do pull to the right once I am done passing. These drivers that engage in "Frogger" as they meander down the road really piss me off. Just a tad of patience would be nice.
If someone is getting passed on the right, then they should take that as a sign that they shouldn't be in the left lane. If there is enough space on the right for someone to pass them, there is enough space for them to move over until they come up on the next person they want to pass. Whether they are going at the speed limit, over it, or twice it is irrelevant. Staying in the left lane to pass a number of cars is only valid if: 1) there is no space to move to the right between passes, or 2) there is no one behind me in the left lane. Anytime someone comes into my rear view mirror behind me in the left lane, it is time to get out that lane as a fast as safely possible.

Anytime someone comes into my rear view mirror behind me in the left lane, it is time to get out that lane as a fast as safely possible.

Not if that would force me to slow down and then possibly be stuck between slower moving vehicles in the right lane(s). And not as long as I have vehicles in front of me who are going slower than I would like to be going.

If you are one of those people that are clogging up the left lane then I will say I'm sorry that I have to pass you on the right, but until you people keep right except to pass I will continue to use the right lane to get around you. The End.
I'm not "clogging" up the lane, I'm leaving minimum 2 cars lengths between me and the vehicle in front of me at 70-80mph. I guess you didn't read my post, the speed limit is 55mph and I'm driving the same speed as every other driver in the left lane usually 70-80mph. So you advocate tailgating and driving to endanger?

Back