• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

A grim day in NH

INSURANCE, you can never have too much. Drunk driver drove over our lawn and clobbered both cars in driveway, this was 3pm on a clear Sunday
Arrested and convicted of DUI, has insurance but only $5000 in property damage, total damage was $15000, fortunately I have both uninsured and underinsured coverage(check yours the cost is nil)
Court ordered him to make restitution, good luck with that

This is where personal injury lawyers come in. Many of them specialize in getting the most for motorcyclists injured by other motorists' carelessness.
All well and good, but the offender who gets a slap-on-the-wrist misdemeanor sentence instead of years in the Big House doesn't pay the appropriate criminal penalty. Lawyers can go after felons as well as misdemeanants.

Four more motorcycle fatalities today in Orange County, CA. Four people, riding on two motorcycles (the brand is immaterial) were involved in a fatal traffic accident on Santiago Canyon Road. Santiago Canyon is a local favorite road that sees a lot of weekend motorcycle traffic. Very few details on what occurred, but this road is know for an out of proportion number of fatalities. CHP is investigating.

I see lots of comments condemning public services and the lack of policing. It’s an inevitable result of downsizing government, the wonder solution to everything that’s been peddled by the right wing for decades. Take a look at what it’s done to Britain, a country that led the world in both the public service and policing.
Taxes buy civilization: the opposite also applies.
WRONG!
Ma. is the perfect example of Big Govt. and it's failures. This kid was a menace and the agency responsible for protecting the citizens FAILED due to bureaucratic inefficiency. The MA. RMV failed to protect the citizens which has been happening since I received my license in 1973. But Ma. has no problem busting my balls when I renew my LTC and our AG abuses her power to claim I'm a potential felon because I own a black, killy scary thing which she objects to and has banned. The greatest threat to my life is a driver on the road.

Folks, let's dial back the rhetoric and political debate on this. Otherwise, we'll have to delete the thread.

Thanks...

"Gov. Charlie Baker says any further disciplinary action at the Registry of Motor Vehicles won’t come until after the independent review he’s ordered — an audit an RMV watchdog says is a missed opportunity by being too narrow in scope.

“Based on the results of the review, we’ll make decisions about what to do at that point,” Baker told reporters on Tuesday.

The state hired an independent auditing firm, Grant Thornton, to inspect from top-to-bottom how the registry is being run after tens of thousands of alerts on Massachusetts drivers’ violations from other states were ignored for more than a year. That review will begin this week, according to Baker, as an internal audit continues.

“I would expect the Grant Thornton review would be where we get a better sense of how we ended up here in the first place,” Baker said.

But state Rep. Shaunna O’Connell — long an RMV critic — said the audit is “really limited in scope.”

“They are really missing the opportunity to do an audit of all the licenses in the RMV data,” the Taunton Republican said, urging a wider probe that would look into issues including people getting licenses with stolen documents. “We see a lot more problems unraveling as this whole thing plays out.”

So far, no registry employees have been disciplined. The former registrar, Erin Deveney, resigned the same day the agency acknowledged it had failed to suspend the license of 23-year-old West Springfield truck driver Volodymyr Zhukovskyy, who is charged with killing seven motorcyclists in New Hampshire last month. He was still on the road as a notice for an automatic license suspension after a Connecticut OUI arrest in May went unnoticed. A state investigation has shown systemic issues regarding the RMV’s handling — or, more specifically, lack of handling — of out-of-state violation notifications."
https://www.bostonherald.com/2019/0...v-disciplinary-action-awaiting-audit-results/

"Patriots owner Robert Kraft surprised the Jarheads Motorcycle Club Saturday with a six-figure donation to help the families of the seven motorcyclists who were killed in a crash in New Hampshire last month.

Kraft, who attended the club’s gathering in Gillette Stadium, announced the $100,000 donation to the club’s GoFundMe campaign, according to reports from WBZ and NBC 10."
The crowdfunding campaign launched earlier this month raised $66,000 in less than a day. As of Saturday afternoon, the campaign has more than $560,000."
https://www.masslive.com/police-fir...orcyclists-killed-in-new-hampshire-crash.html

"Lawmakers cut short a legislative probe into the failures at the Registry of Motor Vehicles Monday, blasting state transportation officials and Gov. Charlie Baker’s administration over a lack of witnesses and documentation requested for today’s hearing, and warning that they won’t rule out subpoenas when they resume.

“We’re disappointed the documents, memoranda, email correspondence and what we see as key witnesses weren’t made available to us,” Transportation Committee Co-Chair Sen. Joseph Boncore told reporters. “We’re going to go back and decide how best to get that information and what next steps have to be taken to ensure that this is a public process, to ensure that the people of the Commonwealth — our constituents — are getting the answers to questions that they deserve.”

Boncore and Rep. William Straus, chairmen of the Joint Committee on Transportation, said they will meet with their respective caucuses and leadership to determine their options.

“I wouldn’t rule anything out,” Straus said when asked about subpoenaing witnesses.

Speaker Robert DeLeo issued a statement expressing his “utmost confidence” the the two chairmen, stating that the legislature’s oversight role shouldn’t be subjugated to that of the outside auditing firm.

“I am extremely disappointed by the lack of cooperation this morning by MassDOT. I am deeply troubled by the unacceptable, systemic failures at the RMV that have resulted in the need for today’s actions,” DeLeo said. “I call upon the administration and MassDOT to participate in the committee’s fact-finding process without exception or qualification. The Legislature will not be thwarted in the discharge of its oversight responsibilities. The citizens of the Commonwealth deserve nothing less.”

Just three out of the requested seven people showed up for the hearing Monday, where legislators hoped to question the officials responsible for the failure to process thousands of out-of-state driving violations — including the one for a trucker accused of killing seven motorcyclists."
https://www.bostonherald.com/2019/07/22/rmv-hearing-cut-short-by-frustrated-lawmakers/

"The Massachusetts Attorney General’s Office has started a criminal investigation into Westfield Transport, the West Springfield trucking company that Volodymyr Zhukovskyy was working for at the time of the fatal New Hampshire crash that killed seven motorcycle riders.

Attorney General Maura Healey’s office confirmed the criminal investigation but declined to discuss any details as work is still being done."
“We have opened an investigation into Westfield Transport over its role in the tragic crash in New Hampshire,” Healey’s office said in a statement.

Healey’s office said the case remains an open and active investigation.

Zhukovskyy, 23, of West Springfield, was driving a black 2016 Dodge 2500 pickup truck with an attached trailer designed for carrying cars in Randolph, New Hampshire, on June 21 when the truck slammed into a group of 10 motorcycles, killing seven people, including a Massachusetts couple, according to authorities.

He is now facing seven counts of negligent homicide in New Hampshire and remains in custody there after he pleaded not guilty."
https://www.masslive.com/boston/201...during-new-hampshire-crash-that-killed-7.html

This is turning into a bureaucratic 5hitshow with little getting done except finger pointing at who dropped the ball. Punishment for the killer is an afterthought.

Consider this, if it were just one person, someone you love and care about, NOTHING would have come of it, nothing.

7 deaths were a big story and the accompanying media coverage is what forced a deeper look. If this were YOU and only you, this guy would still be driving and would have probably only received a ticket for an accident.

Push your local legislation to actually punish the people who enter the right of way of motorcyclists.

You may also want to support MADD: https://www.madd.org/

Unfortunately in the USA there seems to be far more support for DAMM (Drunks Against Mad Mothers) than for Mothers Against Drunk Drivers. As tragic as the NH crash was, and is, it pales in respect to the death toll from drunk and high motor vehicle operators of how ever many wheels every hour of every day. I only wish the motor vehicle community and the general public had the same level of outrage and indignation against the DWI scourge plaguing this country.

Just trying to point out a very real threat to all of us travelling anywhere on two wheels. NOT trying to stir a dreaded political debate. Not political, the numbers and threat are very real as is the apathy of the general public.

Friedle

And there is a growing push to legalize more things that impair road users.

MADD loses believers when they stick their nose outside of their core mission.

Suddenly they are mothers against dangerous things.

The driver is a junkie/alcoholic and couldn't control himself and of course HE is responsible. But I also blame his family for enabling him and not getting him help, his employer and the Ma. RMV. According to blog posts from the area of Westfield he was known in the Ukrainian community as a problem child and his drug/alcohol use was common knowledge. Yes, this is a total **** show for Gov. Baker(Faker) and the RMV, which has been a long time coming.

Unfortunately in the USA there seems to be far more support for DAMM (Drunks Against Mad Mothers) than for Mothers Against Drunk Drivers. As tragic as the NH crash was, and is, it pales in respect to the death toll from drunk and high motor vehicle operators of how ever many wheels every hour of every day. I only wish the motor vehicle community and the general public had the same level of outrage and indignation against the DWI scourge plaguing this country.

Just trying to point out a very real threat to all of us travelling anywhere on two wheels. NOT trying to stir a dreaded political debate. Not political, the numbers and threat are very real as is the apathy of the general public.

Friedle
I am seriously contemplating selling my 2016 RT because of the idiots on the road. I stopped riding to work last summer and have ridden only twice this year because of texting, passing on the right, tailgating drivers on RT.2. I turn 64yrs old next week and have 1 more year before I retire. I have 2 young grandsons and riding has become a contact sport that I can't win. Drivers are self absorbed and don't care. I never tailgate and twice this morning had mass***** tailgate me then pass me on the right and pull in right in front of me while driving my RAV4 to work. I seem to enrage them because I leave a few car lengths between me and the car in front of me.

If you are getting passed on the right, maybe you are in the wrong lane for your speed. In Mass it is legal to pass on the right on a divided highway. Rte. 2 is divided.

Back