• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

A couple Qs on my new-to-me R100RT ...

I noticed drag on my steering soon after betting my boxer and found that cutting those fork boots off made the steering a lot more neutral and free.

Speedo success

Well, I decided to take a look at the speedo this afternoon. When I got it down to this stage,

CIMG1583.jpg

I chucked the speedo drive (the part sticking out of the rear, on the left of the pic) into my drill. The drill would drive the speedo to ~62 mph. All the way up to 62, and at 62, dead steady needle.

So I started looking closer at the gears at the back of the instrument. The part the speedo cable comes into has a gear on the inside of the back instrument cover, which engages the gear at the back of the speedo drive visible in the above pic. The gears have helical teeth because they engage at about a 120 degree angle. I noticed that the gears had irregular deposits of what looked like old grease on them. I thought that these deposits might be causing "bumps" in the rotation of the gears, leading to the needle bouncing, so I cleaned every tooth over its entire length to remove the old grease, and then silicone-sprayed the gears.

Reassembled and test drove the instrument cluster with my drill driving the spare speedo cable (thanks, Greg! :) ) -- looked good. Then took the bike for a short test ride, and at all speeds, up to, um, "in theory" (in the land of 55) 70+ :D the speedo needle was solid. Looks like the old grease on the gears was it. I'll give it a longer/more through test to/from the office tomorrow.

Last edited:
Thanks for following up for us on this...I'll give it a try on my speedo...gotta get in there for the third or fourth time and see if I can't get the odo gear solidly adhered to the shaft...

Hey Mark,
Thanks for the update on the speedometer. My 88 has a few more miles on it than yours (105k), and the needle bounces a little. I purchased a new speedo cable, but I think I will also clean things up as you did.

Hey Mark,
Thanks for the update on the speedometer. My 88 has a few more miles on it than yours (105k), and the needle bounces a little. I purchased a new speedo cable, but I think I will also clean things up as you did.
Hope it works for you, too. I drove ~40 minutes into the office today, and at all speeds the needle was stable :)

Time to move on to addressing the steering (starting with further checking out the fork boots' influence).

I'm not so sure that the fork boots are absolutely necessary, and in fact, probably are a debitd in the interest of good low speed control...I'm in the process of installing an RT fairing on my R100/7 now...stalled because I need time to get the body work done on it...and I'm gonna leave those off...

1. The speedo should have some grease at the points where you found some. I cleaned mine thoroughly and applied a very light grease to those points and silicone spray to all other areas. Rock solid to indicated 85MPH and beyond to the pin.

2. The boots in the fairing are a personal choice. I tend to ride almost year around in any weather. I found that I was getting a lot of spray of rain and road grime up through the holes left by taking the boots off. I now run the boots all the time as it helps to keep things a bit cleaner, and less stuff coming up over the front of the tank, and up under it. Just makes cleaning a bit easier and keeps me a bit drier.

All to personal tastes and experiences.

Hi, MNeblett,
Nice bike! Now, for the bad news. Have you ever heard of the "missing circlip"? In 1985? 86? 87? BMW stopped machining the groove and putting a circlip to locate one of the gearbox bearings. The gearbox is fine - for a while (most passed through the warranty period fine), but eventually the bearing will move and then fail. The damage to the gearbox depends on how long the bike is ridden with the failing bearing. The fix is to send the (hopefully good) gearbox to one of the experts - Tom Cutter, Anton Largiader, Oak Okelshen, Matt Parkhouse, Bob Clement, Ted Porter - there are others, but I don't know them, and have the gearbox taken apart, the groove cut, then the gearbox reassembled and reshimmed with any bad parts replaced. This won't be cheap, but it will probably keep you from having to buy a gearbox somewhere down the road.

Hi, MNeblett,
Nice bike! Now, for the bad news. Have you ever heard of the "missing circlip"? In 1985? 86? 87? BMW stopped machining the groove and putting a circlip to locate one of the gearbox bearings. The gearbox is fine - for a while (most passed through the warranty period fine), but eventually the bearing will move and then fail. The damage to the gearbox depends on how long the bike is ridden with the failing bearing. The fix is to send the (hopefully good) gearbox to one of the experts - Tom Cutter, Anton Largiader, Oak Okelshen, Matt Parkhouse, Bob Clement, Ted Porter - there are others, but I don't know them, and have the gearbox taken apart, the groove cut, then the gearbox reassembled and reshimmed with any bad parts replaced. This won't be cheap, but it will probably keep you from having to buy a gearbox somewhere down the road.
Thanks very much for the heads-up! The good news is that the previous owner had Matt Parkhouse take care of it :)

Back