• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

99 R 1100 S belly pan

kooze1948

Hi all,
Sorry if this subject is covered in another thread, I could not find anything related to it. I bought an aftermarket belly pan for my 99 R1100S from Gimbel Motorradtechnik in Germany. Pan arrived with installation kit but no instructions. I was hoping that installation would be similar to a BCR bike but none of my manuals cover them. I've yet to get a response from Gimbel, in the meantime does anyone have any suggestions as far as where I might get instructions? On another note, thanks to all the info and encouragement that I found on the Forum I installed a 5 1/2 " wide rear wheel and tire, looks great, see attached.
Thanks in advance,
Kooze 1948
99 R1100S
03 R1150RIMG_1189.jpgIMG_1189.jpg

You will need to remove the center stand. Remove the Kickstand stop. The rear holes line up with nuts already in the frame. The front bracket mounts to the bottom of the engine, if you line up the rear bolts to the rear frame holes/nuts you should be able to see where to line up the front bracket on the engine.

Probably want to make sure your bike is right side up during installation, too. :D

Happy to help.

Seriously, though, beautiful bike. I had a mandarin orange 99 S and still miss it.

Probably want to make sure your bike is right side up during installation, too. :D

Happy to help.

I would have thought Kooze had the bike setup in the best position that would give him the easiest access for installation of the belly pan. Of course I am certainly no mechanic so I could be wrong.šŸ¤·. šŸ˜‚

Sorry about the picture, I guess I need to really keep the rubber side down. Thanks for the advice. I also have the Mandarin Fuel tank and Headlight surrounds.
Kooze1948

Did the belly pan come with the front mounting bracket that affixes to the frame. I take mine off quite regularly. But it came with it. I do recall the first time I removed. I was a little nervous due to the replacement cost.

Did you get the BP install sorted out?

I made a front bracket for the stock, carbon fiber belly pan years ago. Found very clear hand-drawn layout illustration on line. Very easy to make: two metal straps bent, drilled and bolted together. Mounts on the forward horizontal through hole on the bottom of the engine case. Two BMW nut plates attach the bracket to the panā€™s forward holes. OEM, locking, BMW TORX-head machine screws are recommended. They arenā€™t cheap but neither is the belly pan dragging on the ground. The screws have a longitudinal nylon insert. Thread lock might work using conventional machine screws but blue only; no red as heating the screw would most likely damage the paint and or the pan itself.

I have seen aftermarket fiberglass copies of the CF-pan. If this is what you have, youā€™ll need stand-off spools for the rear mount. They fit in the frame holes where the center stand would be on a non-belly panned S. I drew these to scale with dimensions. I didnā€™t have to make them as they were included with the BCR. They should be fairly easy to make out of aluminum or Delrin on a hobby lathe or to 3D print. A broom handle down would probably work, especially if the pan is made from CF. The stock pan weighs 1.25 LBS. Donā€™t know how the front mount got lost.

I believe I still have the drawings. Let me know if you want a copy.

Back