• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

99 1100rs valve adj. question

Not the wrong side

Everyone May do this but when putting that plug back I find it a bit of a pain, I find that that spark plug socket that comes in toolkit that we use so we don’t get regular spark plug sockets from stuck in engine, is very useful for inserting that plug . Put a bit of electrical tape around big end of spark plug socket so edge of tape just past end of socket than stick the plug on the end of socket tape holds in place and plug can be inserted and driven in

Ok all this back and forth about which side had me wondering if I was correct. I went out to the garage to look at my 94 RS and it is on the right side. Maybe it changed on later models?

Attachments

• BMWtimingPlug.JPG
    BMWtimingPlug.JPG
    73.2 KB · Views: 105
Well I didn't run out to the garage and check, but upon downloading the BMW service manual from the carl salter website, I see that the oilhead rubber plug for timing is on the right side of the bike. Ref BMW manual figure rs00002 on page 37. Fortunately my stool has wheels so I'd just move to the other side of the bike.

https://www.carlsalter.com/download.asp?p=748
Link -

What's the best oil for re-installing the plug?

I just buy extra rubber plugs. It seems that about every third or fourth time I push the plug all the way thru the hole.

As I get older I find my muscle mass is decreasing; so are some of my other drives. I can't recall what the other thing was that I am losing

I just buy extra rubber plugs. It seems that about every third or fourth time I push the plug all the way thru the hole.

As I get older I find my muscle mass is decreasing; so are some of my other drives. I can't recall what the other thing was that I am losing

I use an Airhead plug. They are not so flimsy and don't get pushed through the hole.

Long tip needle nose pliers (curved even better) or an old curved hemostat make re-inserting the timing hole cover plug a lot easier. Just grab the edges gently, move into place above the hole and your left thumb to shove it in there.

I found that method after shoving one into the bell housing. I was very concerned at the time but this forum informed me it would just get chewed up and quickly destroyed in there anyway so no worries. Replaced it with the rubber airhead plug which works better than the plastic one on oilheads.

Put a dab of grease on the end of a small hammer handle.
Place the plug on the end (held by the grease).
Position over the timing hole and push firmly.
You'll never lose another plug inside.

Get yourself a CB750 valve cover cap from a junk yard. Drill out with a small hole saw or large drill bit and use a curved file to round out the hole leaving enough plastic to thread the cap into. When you are done, remove the plug and insert 15mm socket and move the engine easily (with the plugs out that is)

View attachment 72800View attachment 72801View attachment 72802View attachment 72803

If you don't have a junkyard handy, get a Honda GL 1800 final drive filler plug. Same part.

Timing hole plug cover....bwahahahahaha!

Seriously... why bother?

Here's some guesses:

- It's intended to keep the bell housing dry
- A hole that is plugged looks better than just a hole
- I don't need to set the timing on the bike very often so a plug in the hole seems like a sensible thing to do
- It came with the bike

Here's some guesses:

- I don't need to set the timing on the bike very often so a plug in the hole seems like a sensible thing to do
- It came with the bike

And if it did not come with a cover everyone would be commenting on how it should have.......:stick

Here's some guesses:

- It came with the bike

sorry.
that should have been; "why bother ever removing?"

sorry.
that should have been; "why bother ever removing?"

Oh OK. Well that makes sense because really, once you time these bikes once it doesn't ever seem to move unless you move the HES plate and also the ECU is able to adjust timing electronically if memory serves.

Back