• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

95 RT Fairing/ Headlight Bracket

A

ABE456

I noticed while riding the fairing scrubbed against my left knee, while the right side has about 3/4" clearance. Not only that, the uppper left fairing bracket mount keeps popping loosed and wont hold the fairing in place. Visually, the left upper bracket looks bent too far back, but I cant really be sure. the upper left fairing bolt wont stay in the left bracket for more than a few days, no matter how hard I tighten it. Something is definitely wrong here.

I took rough measurements on the fairing/headlight braket and sure enough, the upper stalks are out of plane from each other. Hard to tell which is which. Left bracket looks bent back toward the rear about 1/2", and the right upper bracket is about 1/2" higher that the left one, as measured from the floor using a tape measure. But then again, something else might be bent out of alignment too, I dont want to start bending this bracket without being sure of where the problem is, a new one is $185 bucks plus shipping.

I'm in hopes someone has some reference dimensions I could use to make sure and bend the stalks in the right direction. Or maybe a good way to zero in on correct dimensions for the bracket. Or that failing, any body got a spare bracket for sale?

RT Fairing Bracket

I once spent several hours trying to straighten one of these brackets. When I finally gave up, it was worse than when I started. Spend the money on a new one.

Sorry, but I've had the same problem w/ my '80. I tried to bend the bracket arm into place, but couldn't get it exact. I got it close and wired it up. After some time, the dashboard cracked, the windshield broke and I've decided to buy a Hannigan. Hope you have better luck. I'm not much of a mechanic.

You guys confirmed what I suspected, I will never get this thing right by bending it back into shape.

Got an email offering to sell me a used bracket, so hopefully that will take care of it.

Back