• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

'95 K75 turn-signal flasher dead

WRobRich

I purchased four amber led signal replacement bulbs from SuperBrightLEDs.com, just wanting to improve my visibility.
I installed the left front and gave it a test and got the "hyper-flash", which I think is someone's description of really fast flashing.
I figured that since the left rear was still original, that it needed the new LED to "balance" the flashing. Nope.
With both LEDs installed there was no flashing at all, and worse, not on the untouched right side either. Uh oh.
Put the original bulbs back in left front and rear. No flashing.
The signals do burn, but to flash I have to push the handlebar button down once for every flash...no longer the automatic flash, flash, flash...
Any advice will certainly be appreciated.

LEDs have much lower resistance (load) than incandescents. With only one regular bulb and one LED in the circuit you got the fast flashing (the same as you get with a burned out bulb) because the load was less. Unlike two burned out bulbs, when you put in two LEDs you still had a completed circuit but with no resistance (a virtual dead short). If you're lucky, you may have only burnt a fuse (test them all), but more likely you fried the flasher.

USUALLY aftermarket LEDs come with an external or internal resistor to approximate the resistance of an incandescent bulb so you don't have these types of issues.:dunno

:dance:dance:dance

While LEDs do have a low resistance the LED BULBS that one buys to operate at 12 volts has circuitry in it to limit the current so that the LED will not blow from excessive current. LED BULBS have an effective high resistance when compared to a standard bulb. Electronic flashers such as those found in K-bikes flash fast because of their built in burned out bulb detector. The resistors that you hear about people putting in the circuit to correct the flash rate actually decreases the total circuit resistance so that the flasher does not detect a bulb as being out. The resistors are put in parallel to the LED BULB. Resistors put in parallel always decrease the resistance.

While LEDs do have a low resistance the LED BULBS that one buys to operate at 12 volts has circuitry in it to limit the current so that the LED will not blow from excessive current. LED BULBS have an effective high resistance when compared to a standard bulb. Electronic flashers such as those found in K-bikes flash fast because of their built in burned out bulb detector. The resistors that you hear about people putting in the circuit to correct the flash rate actually decreases the total circuit resistance so that the flasher does not detect a bulb as being out. The resistors are put in parallel to the LED BULB. Resistors put in parallel always decrease the resistance.

Assuming what you say to be true, why do all my cars and trucks flash faster when a bulb is burned out. None have Bulb monitoring, some have mechanical flashers. Why did he have the symptoms he experienced and why does the flasher now not work at all??

:dance:dance:dance

Newer cars and trucks flash faster because they also have electronic flashers which have bulb out detection. If you have an older car with the original flasher it is probably a thermal flasher. A bulb out with on of these would not flash at all. Adding trailer lights would make it flash faster. For anyone with a K-bike that doesn't believe me just remove one of your turn signal bulbs and see if it flashes faster. Removing a bulb raises the circuit resistance.

I have no explanation for what is going on with the op's flashing unit but it's not because the LEDs were too low of a resistance.

Take a look at these links

https://www.rvrepairclub.com/video/brighten-your-life-on-the-road-with-rv-led-lights-007819/
https://mattgadient.com/2006/10/12/...s-how-much-of-a-power-savings-can-you-expect/

I would figure out what your bike uses for a flasher under normal conditions......get it working correct with stock gear......then I would see if your bike will tolerate just a swap of the stock bulbs to LED.

OM

There are also flasher relays made specifically for use with LEDs. I have had mixed success using these relays. On a Triumph Tiger (now gone) I was successful in replacing incandescent turn signal bulbs with orange LEDs and replacement of the flasher relay for an LED compatible relay. On an airhead, making this change caused the dash turn signal indicator to not operate. I went back to incandescent bulbs.

I've yet to try this modification on a K75S. I decided for now to stay with incandescent turn signal bulbs. Other places (i.e., headlight, tail light, and brake light) I have replaced incandescent bulbs with LEDs. My most recent modification was to add a T3 LED flashing supplemental brake light. I took care to have the LEDs aimed horizontal so as not to blind drivers directly behind me, but the braking is clearly visible to vehicles further back. Link to T3 light used on K75S bikes -

https://www.amazon.com/Feniex-T3-Perimeter-Mount-LED/dp/B00XFMXGX8

Back