• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

85 K100 RT Radiator Repair

montec

I noticed a coolant leak early in the week and tracked it down to the joint in the radiator where the fins meet the endcap on the left side. (See image).

I've ordered a used replacement from Beemer Boneyard ($135), so I hope to be back on the road soon.

However, I was wondering if this type of leak was economically repairable or if I should salvage what I can and recycle the core?

Thanks,
Monte
85 K100 RT

85K100RTRadiatorLeak.jpg

Trying to repair a radiator with plastic tanks, when the leak is at the interface between the tank and core, is usually not worth it in terms of confidence in the repair. A good used one should give you more reliability at a lower price. Low prices can be found on ebay (be SURE you get the right one for your model as there are many and they all look similar). There is very little demand (they rarely fail) so the prices are low.

:dance:dance:dance

Thanks for confirming what I suspected.

I'll casually ask around about local repair options, but I'm hoping that I don't need a replacement for another 100,000 miles.

Monte

In a FWIW, whether I have repaired one, tried a used one or bought a new one (usually end up a Chinese import), I test them before I install it. A framing compressor with a regulator is handy but a 12V compressor with a gauge works pretty good as well. Usually 8-10 psi.
OM

Back