• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

84 R100 update

M

mrhtbd

Finally fixed the electric problem (amongst other things). But first I learned my lesson when I took it for a ride with a bad starter and stalled at a light. I had the choke half on. It's been awhile. Anyway I pushed it home, argh!
Although it was rough in spots and had a charging problem, I decided to go over it with a fine toothed comb. I don't like to push the motorcycle home, it's silly, and that's what the gym is for.
The carbs leaked, the charging system didn't work, the brake lines were cracked, had a leaking seal in the trans, the owner didn't have any technical ability pertaining to repairs or maintenance, the battery was beat, and the starter was iffy.
Here's what I have done to it:
gas tank was acid washed and resealed on the inside
new yuasa battery
new fuel lines and filters
carbs rebuilt and synched
valves adjusted
new Metzler Lasertec tires
braided brake lines installed
engine oil and filter replaced
trans seal replaced and added new fluid
replaced the rubber boot on the clutch cable to keep water out of the transmission
splines were lubed
voltage regulater replaced
new BMW diode board
electric system checked
new valeo starter
new YSS Z-302 TRL Twin custom shock absorbers (springs chosen for my weight)
inspected
ready for pick-up tomorrow.
Work was done by a self-employed BMW mechanic with over 35 years experience (I trust him)

I have ridden it several times and it is strong and fun. I even ran it to the mechanics house (37 miles) with a non-working starter. Even though I had to push-start it, this time I made sure it didn't stall. I can't wait to get it tomorrow.
Hopefully, I can commute to the city for work once school starts.
Tired of posing and polishing, it's time to ride!

PS: Here's a picture of my 1966 Honda CB450 before I started restoring it 2 years ago:

Attachments

• 41905 sent bomber photo.jpg
    41905 sent bomber photo.jpg
    2.4 KB · Views: 112
Hey, congrats on the bike. I have an 1983 R100T that sat for 8 years. Just got it on the road about 5 weeks ago and started commuting.

I need to replace the trans seal and speedo boot too, but have essentially done what you've (had??) done on your bike. Great learning experience.

Ironically, I sold my 1981 CB750K to get this bike. Nice migration and I'll never look back.

I took it out for two long rides today and it ran like a dream. I always rode Honda's before (450, 750) but this is so much easier to ride. I had it in third gear at 40MPH and punched it. Wow, tried to throw me off the bike! I'm more into the fun though, so no wheelies for me.

I took it out for two long rides today and it ran like a dream. I always rode Honda's before (450, 750) but this is so much easier to ride. I had it in third gear at 40MPH and punched it. Wow, tried to throw me off the bike! I'm more into the fun though, so no wheelies for me.

Yeah, the boxer engine is a completely different ride than the Honda (or other bikes that I've ridden). First, the center of gravity is much lower. That adds tremendous confidence immediately, even on a newer bike like an '04 R1150RT. Same principle.

I have found that these bikes like to be run, meaning not lugged in too high a gear. I commute on 65 and 55 MPH highways in the metro DC area and rarely get into 5th gear. My bike seems happiest at around 3800-4200 rpm. If I can't twist the throttle and feel reasonably strong acceleration, I am probably in too high a gear (and that can be dangerous, not having instance access to power to avoid a problem).

That's a good tip. Man, a DC commute, that must be interesting.
I plan on commuting to Philadelphia, 19 miles one way.

That's a good tip. Man, a DC commute, that must be interesting.
39 miles each way. By car its 1:15 - 3:30 each way on any given day. On the bike, never more than an hour. The Capital Beltway (495) gets a little exciting, but its dull.

I plan on commuting to Philadelphia, 19 miles one way.
Good for you. That shouldn't be too bad, although Philly drivers can be tough, especially on 76. I used to commute from Annapolis to Plymouth Meeting (believe it or not)...not sure I'd do that everyday on a bike. :doh

Back