• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

'81 r100rt

jammess

Jammess
Sold my '81 R100RT in 2016 and I miss it. She was pristine and very low mileage like about 10K original. I'm finding it near impossible to find another in as good condition with low miles never mind the high asking prices. Any suggestions on where to look?

Maybe the person you sold your bike to is ready to let it go?
I understand your problem.
I'm still kicking myself for selling my '75 /6 15 years ago.

Interesting bike and a good price. I looked through all the bikes on Facebook but didn't see this particular BMW so maybe is sold. I don't have a Facebook account and likely never will but thanks for the look. Never liked Lester wheels but nice bike and same color as my departed R100RT. Man that was a mistake selling it and sad thing is I know the bike, if it's even still running, is a long way from the condition it was in when I sold it.:cry

MOA marketplace

Just out of curiosity, have you looked at the two R100RTs listed in the BMWMOA marketplace? No, they are not 81, but they seem at first look to be in nice shape for a good price. Also Cycle trader has a few for sale. LOL, I can understand wanting to buy the same model and year you had but is it a deal killer not to find the exact same bike if you want another R100RT? St.

Pix of my pristine 30 year old R1100RSL. This is the caliber of airhead I'm looking for. The RS has just over 11k original miles.

CIMG1113.jpg

An '83 or '84 will be pretty much the same as your '81, except with the bugs worked out. Better stands, fixed transmission.

An '83 or '84 will be pretty much the same as your '81, except with the bugs worked out. Better stands, fixed transmission.

Yes, those bikes would work. I had previously called about the '91 RT in the marketplace because it did look good with low miles but to tell the truth I've never been too sold on BMW's single sided swing arm with the drive shaft with two universal joints and the idea of that huge ball bearing being asked to carry half the weight of the motorcycle. This arrangement adversely affects reliability as has been proven to be the case many times. From what I can determine the very early R1100 bikes like mine are not known for drive train issues nor, I believe, is the R100 single sided swing arm airheads but still... My RSL was number 625 in oilhead production which began only two months before my bike was built in June of '93. I bought my '81RT in 2005 with only 850 original miles. I really screwed up selling it but that's the kind of airhead I'm looking for and they're out there somewhere I just know it! I wouldn't mind a pristine R75 for that matter. My first BMW was a new R75/7 bought in late '76 and I wish I still had it as well. trans was pretty clunky but it worked. That was when the the bikes were, "Simple by Choice".

You could ask what am I doing with an FJR and to that I would answer: They don't break and they handle pretty darn good and better than an '04 R1150RT I used to know with its 16 or so brake bleeders and power assisted linked brakes at that. Wonder I didn't kill myself. lol..lol.. Came close a couple times.

....to tell the truth I've never been too sold on BMW's single sided swing arm with the drive shaft with two universal joints and the idea of that huge ball bearing being asked to carry half the weight of the motorcycle.

The monoshock airheads have the same driveshaft since 1981. The drive shafts with two universal joints, are in the GS and Mystic with the paralever swing arms. I remember reading the problem with the two u-joint drive shafts in the GS's was due to the steep angle that the u-joint's end up due to the larger suspension travel of the GS's. This would not be an issue on a non GS bike. Based on what I've read, I think the monoshock single sided swing arms are relatively trouble free. I have an 88 R100 RT with over 100k and there's no problem with the swing arm. It's personal preference, but I'm happy not to have to deal with the Drive Dogs on the dual shock final drive and wheel. After 104k, i'm getting the u-joints replaced, but that would be the case if it were a dual shock model. The mileage is just there. Also, I had to get the final drive rebuilt at ±95k for new seals.

My brother in law has an R100rt that he was talking about selling. I don’t remember the year, I know the bike is in very good running condition, but you’d have to discuss it with him. He's located in SW Colorado. If you are interested, I could give him a call and see if he would like to discuss it.

Please keep any sales/transactions off the forum...use the PM system as needed. Thanks!

Back