• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

'73 R75/5 - To Cafe, Or Not To Cafe

Hi Moshe

That was yours.

I am kinda recreating my first bmw with the wixom's and smaller windshield.
Took me a little time to work the bugs out but it really rides and runs great now.

I originally thought it would be mostly for short rides and bmw rallies, but I am having too much fun riding it. Seat is going to Rick Mayer in February, I am toying with a ride to Alaska or maybe farthest 4 corners of USA. We'll see.

Post some pics of your Toaster so we can keep up with the progress.

I am in the same sort of struggle with my /5. I love the Cafe look etc but Mary looks at the idea and says "ok, where do I sit?" Maybe I need a 'convertable' Cafe (yes I just made that name up) whereby we can have both. Is that really possible? Looking forward to reading the experiences of others. -Bob

That was yours.

Awesome! Glad to see you're enjoying it. My crude Toaster Retoration page hasn't been updated in a month, but here's what's there so far: http://www.mklsportster.com/r75mainpage.htm January has seen me plucking down another $1k in parts for the upcoming rebuild. Tom Cutter totally disassembled my engine and now I'm figuring out how to clean it best. Nothing done yet with painting, but lots of boxes arriving at the door every day with new goodies. I'll update soon.

-MKL

For a FACT!!!

USA bars ?
a half-fast concession to the marketplace.

USA bars don't BELONG on any BMW !*​

*before the protracted speeches marked by intemperate, vituperative, or harshly censorious language begin ÔÇô
I am, of course, being facetious, albeit true to my personal preference.

I wanted to say this - but I hesitated.

Now that it has been correctly stated, I will SECOND that emotion!

As far as I'm concerned, they may as well be Ape Hangers!

The "removal of the headlight shell" section is exactly how I feel about doing so for my new fairing. I think I'll just take some photos and notes and go for it. Thanks for posting this!

"USA bars" was the term used in the 1970s to describe the bars fitted to about 90% of the BMWs sold in the USA. They are lots smaller than the bars later fitted to the R100RT, but are nevertheless a completely traditional bar for older Airheads.

Sorry some of you newbees needed to show your ignorance

Newbie (Newbee?)

Sorry some of you newbees needed to show your ignorance

Yup! That's me, a newbie. MOA 18876

I may be ignorant but it looks to me like you're the newbie.

Have a nice day.

to cafe, or not

Orbitangel:

My apologies to you, for the rest of the group here, for that remark. What's behind it, is Kent doesn't like anyone "changing" airhead frames.

Last edited:
Accepted!

Orbitangel:

My apologies to you, for the rest of the group here, for that remark. What's behind it, is Chris doesn't like anyone "changing" airhead frames.

Rinty,

I can't quite figure out why you're the one apolgizing for somebody else's thoughtless remark but, in the spirit of comradeship, I will certainly accept it.

I think we can all "agree to disagree" in an amicable fashion.

Thanks for stepping up to the plate.

Orbitangel - BMWMOA 18876

It's an endless debate, with the extremes being don't change anything and do what ever it takes to achieve your vision. The argument isn't limited to BMWs either, my current project is an old bronco, most of which have had the rear wheel wells chopped out at some point to accomodate larger tires. Now there is a growing demand for "uncut" versions and lots of people are welding in new quarter panels to replace the missing pieces. My point being that taste changes over the years; "cafe" bikes are hot right now, who knows what tomorrow will bring?

My own sympathies are in the tread lightly camp. They aren't making any more /5s and a sporty looking cafe-style bike can be achieved with bolt-on parts that will allow a return to stock fairly easily so why do anything permanent?

Just MHO

to cafe or not

I can't quite figure out...Orbitangel

Thank you, but the reason is, elsewhere in this Forum we're putting up endless posts on how to build up MOA's membership base. The Forum is a big part of building up that base. In this thread, you, a newer Forum member, are asking good questions about an interesting project, and get jumped on by somebody who's been around longer. The result may be that we lose you as a member, which we don't want to see happen.

/5 cafe

I would be hesitant to tear into a complete if un-restored example of an R75/5.
My opinion ... for these reasons:

The /5s are becoming old and rare to that point where value "as stock" is climbing.
Consequently, one could "clean-up" the bike, sell it, and start with a (cheaper and more available) post /7 ÔÇô and have some cash in hand for parts & services.

A /5 will be less suited to performance improvement vs the later bikes.
As we all know, BMW introduced small changes to virtually every model year in order to improve the performance and ride-ability of their production offerings.
Often the cafe goal of "performance" includes retrofitting a bike with increased displacement, light flywheel, improved brakes, better chassis components ...
note that all these items were addressed by the factory at some later date.
Consequently, a newer model, and esp one from 1981 or later, gives the cafe builder a significant "head-start".

To others:
The choice of 'caffeinating' an old Type-247 is not so much the "pursuit of pure performance" as it is the "pursuit of a personal passion".
It will be my suggestion that we each DEFINE that passion for ourselves ÔÇô and chase it with all our heart and soul.

Needless to say, any 600cc repli-racer of near contemporary vintage would fill that "pure-performance cup" to overflowing ÔÇô and do it cheaper.
In my case, a 2007 R1200S does the job MOST satisfactorily, if not as inexpensively ... but then, I've been sorta stuck on BMW for some 30+ years.

The visions and dreams of youth don't fade easily in the memory of this "child born of the fossil fuel generation"
who's formative years in Detroit, the "Motor City", were filled with "build it your way" 3-in-1 AMT model car kits, Hot-Rod Magazine, Smokey Yunick, Burt Munro, Ed Roth ...
and Detroit Dragway inhabited by the likes of Roger Lindamood's "Color Me Gone", Don "The Snake" Prudhomme's "Snake Charmer", and Bob Tindle's "Orange Crate".
This is my frame of reference, my formative social circumstances, that culminate not only in a passion for performance,
but a passion and celebration of those times.
Times marked by the efforts of 'out-of-the-box renegade individuals' adept at machining skills and fueled with the "Need 4 Speed" who could make an impact, a difference,
and in fact, turn the face of the corporate giants to look their way, take heed, and respond in kind.

I am far beyond a mere fondness or fascination for machines, engineering, the capabilities AND the potential ÔÇô I'll get my hands dirty.
And, in my case, an introduction to BMW motorcycles changed my life in quite significant ways.
Buying my first BMW in the mid 1970s was a turning point ÔÇô
from riding / buying / building / selling Harley Davidson Sportster hot-rod-race customs
to running an R68 on the streets and traveling the country on a /5 and then a /7... an R100RS, a K1, and now an R1200S.
Traveling on a 1971 R75/5, not coincidentally, provided me the means and interest for my introduction to the sport of motorcycle road-racing as a spectator.
This was the era of the "BATTLE of the TWINS".
The sound of 4-stroke Ducatis, Nortons, Triumphs, Moto Guzzis, and Harley XR750s was MUSIC to my ears, the best of music ÔÇô and remains so to this very day.
And on those tracks at that time were BMWs campaigned by the likes of San Jose BMW, bikes re-FRAMED by Rob North, breathed upon in the spirit if not the very breath of Udo Gietl,
ridden by the masters: Pridmore, McLaughlin ...
AND THE STODGY OLD BIKES KNOWN FOR THEIR PINSTRIPED SUITS WERE COMPETITIVE !
Competitive ONLY by virtue of the hot-rod mentality and creativity, the blood, sweat and effort of those demented individuals
determined to transform the "old man's touring bike" into something it surely was never intended.

Nostalgic to be sure, but still a valid if emotive climate that inclines me to sing the praises of those times ÔÇô and enjoy the experience of it on a personal level.
An experience who's joy and fulfillment is about the process, "the hands-on doing of it" ÔÇô the act and action of designing, engineering, and bringing to reality,
to hold in my hand a tangible product of my own relative vision of insanity,
to fit this or that "bit" or "part" on the bike and find that it works well and improves the status quo ...
or needs more improvement ... I'm happy to do it.

Subsequently, it becomes quite meaningless to entertain accusations that the "bit-piece" is not stock,
ruins the original concept of corporate intent,
has been done before in other ways by other people,
or is now surpassed in function by the production efforts of contemporary corporate endeavor ...
these objections are missing the mark ÔÇô COMPLETELY.

Want to concours restore that /5 ? ÔÇô pursue your passion.
Want to ride it till it returns to the ground as rust ? ÔÇô pursue your passion.
Want it caff'd ? ÔÇô pursue your passion.

Want to discourage another rider's dreams ?
I'll draw that line: a BMW is just an assemblage of steel and rubber and nuts and bolts, just a machine, ... nothing more.
There is no "right or wrong" here, just a choice ÔÇô PURSUE YOUR PASSION !

Last edited:
Never Gonna Happen!

...The result may be that we lose you as a member, which we don't want to see happen.

Thanks, and I do appreciate the consideration.

Lose me as a member? NEVER! Not to worry.

First, I am not that thin-skinned.

Second, I am having WAY too much fun here.

Third, Ikchris and I are best pals, even though we haven't met yet. We BOTH love bikes and we both love BMWs. Besides, I used to live in the "Land of Enchantment."

Hey, we are all here because we share a common passion, though not necessarily the same precise flavor - (vanzen said it very well.)

We can all get a little cranky sometimes, myself included.
No harm, no foul! I don't stay mad at ANYBODY without a damned good reason. :bikes

orbitangel

Back