• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

'73 R75/5 - To Cafe, Or Not To Cafe

moshe_levy

I have had a long, strange saga with my 1973 R75/5 LWB, my first BMW. Here's the short version:

1) Purchased July 2003, and promptly disassembled for a frame-up resotration
2) Several months pass, at which time I buy tons of new parts for said restoration
3) Get accepted to NYU for grad school, and go through a divorce

You can guess the rest - it sat on a shelf disassembled until now. But I've started back up again. The details are

here http://www.mklsportster.com/r75mainpage.htm

So now, I'm agonizing over whether to cafe it or restore it to near stock shape. The way I figure it, if I cafe it mildly - meaning some clubman bars and a Knoscher-relica tail section, I can always easily go back to stock. I've got all these parts, including a shorty front fender, in my collection already. I can send the stock and the cafe parts out to paint at once, and have everything on hand should I ever need to revert back to stock.

I'm torn because I do love the look of cafe /5 bikes, but at the same time, love the look of a nice clean stock one as well. I'm on my way to Tom Cutter's today to see a recent R100S he restored - figured it might give me some additional ideas. Any advice appreciated.

-MKL

decisions, decisions ...

So now, I'm agonizing over whether to cafe it or restore it to near stock shape. MKL

Some will extoll the virtues of a pure stock restoration,
make claims about resale value,
and tell you that an old /5 deserves nothing less.

Or you can click on my avatar and see a hundred examples of "caff'd" /5s,
examples of owners who chose to pursue a personal vision of what a BMW could be.

Both positions are valid, neither is "right" or "wrong",
you've got just 2 options ÔÇô and ultimately, that choice is yours to make.

I like the look of the "toaster" bikes, and if it were mine, I'd probably do a stock resto. But, my opinion doesn't matter, since it's your bike and you'll be the one riding it. As Vanzen said, the choice is yours. You need to figure out what you want to ride.

You want a cafe'. Get what you want. It can't be that big of a deal to convert it back if you have the parts. You'll be happy!

My advice would be that if you do a cafe project, make it a mild one that can go back to stock fairly quickly. I have one just like yours, in the process of rebuilding. I was gonna do a bunch of things to it, but as someone pointed out to me, a /5 is a pretty bike, and easily sold if in nice condition. If you want something with more cafe go, then youcan sell it for something thats a lot better around corners. Just my thought. I admit, though, that sometimes I still get that cafe bug anyway......!

You've got to please yerself......

I too would suggest riding a bike that you want to ride. Modify it to suit yourself. Life is too short to worry about getting optimum bucks when selling it later.

I didn't like the way my bike handled or how the motor felt when I first bought it. So the mods were made. After I'm gone I don't care if the next dude likes it. When I grab a handful of throttle I want the damn thing to take off and rack out to the redline. When it's tipped over in a corner I want a firm suspension. When braking, I want want to feel some G's. Stock didn't make the grade.

Something learned over a period of time is that there are not crowds of appreciative people cheering as we speed by on our BMWs. We all tend to live within our imaginations. Suit yourself, frankly, no one else really gives a d---m. IMHO.

Cafe it! I love those bikes, and for me, a '73 R75 cafe racer would actually have more value than a stock bike.

Speedy Airheads?

...as we speed by on our BMWs.

Speed? HUH?

Speaking strictly for myself, my decrepit, clunky old RS will barely get out of its own way. Poor, poor, pitiful me...

Myself, I prefer to ride my bikes the way the designers made them. Well, pretty close to that anyway.

But that being said, You are the one that is going to be riding it. so do what ya gotta do to make it yours. If a full blown cafe is what you want, go for it. It's your bike and nobody should tell you how you should set up your bike.

If you want to put on ape hangers, rake the front end 14 inches and leather fringe everywhere, go for it. I actually saw an R75/5 done like that in Australia. I wish I had taken a picture.

Or you could do something like this Danish guy did. http://www.rolf-blenn.de/chopper/

Whatever floats your boat or turns your crank. Just have fun with it and ride.

:ca

Well, I think I'm going to do a mild cafe, and send the stock parts out for paint and polish at the same time. That way, if I ever need to switch back, I can. Plan to keep this one forever, so might as well so what I will with it.

-MKL

This debate starts at deciding between Euro bars and USA bars.

You're 90% the way to a "cafe" bike when you install the Euro bars.

Speeding by.....

When sitting on the BMW all day and seeing up ahead another bike, especially on the slab, wick it up a bit, pretend I'm fishing, sort of reel the guy in. Little by little, and if it's a different make, just when overtaking, grab the thottle wide open making the pass, speeding by. Every BMW rider does this intuitively, no?

As for the cafe question, the Euro bars would be my choice. With the stock S fairing it puts the rider's head and shoulders in the air foil position while keeping the rider aware of speed through air pressure. The RS fairing always gave me a false sense of security. I guess there are bikes that look sort of cafe, and then others that are pure cafe. Pure cafe is a head turner, no doubt, would likely bring a few cheers.

USA bars

This debate starts at deciding between Euro bars and USA bars.

You're 90% the way to a "cafe" bike when you install the Euro bars.

USA bars ?
a half-fast concession to the marketplace.

USA bars don't BELONG on any BMW !*​

*before the protracted speeches marked by intemperate, vituperative, or harshly censorious language begin ÔÇô
I am, of course, being facetious, albeit true to my personal preference.

Back