• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

650 GS Comments and Reviews

Plainsscout

yo beemer fans.

My son in law is looking at his first Bike. He is looking at a 650GS 2003 model with 20,000 miles and after market side bags (top loaders) that they want about$5900 for it.

I don't know alot about that model year or price on that model.

Is 20,000 miles too many???

He will be using it primarily as a commuter bike in Minneapolis.

Help me give me good advise if you would.

Thanks.

I have an 05 with 26K on it so I don't think that's alot of miles to be concerned with. There are lots of Beemers out there with high mileage. As long as it's been treated well, I don't see a problem.

The price sounds reasonable and we just had a debate about this. I know a guy who just bought one for $6000+. Some seem to think that once the 650/800 GS hits the states that the value of used 650's will drop. Who knows?

If he likes it and can afford it, I say go for it!

I have an 05 with 26K on it so I don't think that's alot of miles to be concerned with. There are lots of Beemers out there with high mileage. As long as it's been treated well, I don't see a problem.

The price sounds reasonable and we just had a debate about this. I know a guy who just bought one for $6000+. Some seem to think that once the 650/800 GS hits the states that the value of used 650's will drop. Who knows?

If he likes it and can afford it, I say go for it!

Thanks Newstar I will pass the word on!

I guess my feeling on value is even with the new 650/800 coming out there will always be a fair market for the 650. It is a great beginner bike, smaller rider bike and lastly for anyone (so says someone I know who is6' 2" and 200 lbs) a great commuter. He told me that 60mpg was not unusual.

My son in law is looking at his first Bike. He is looking at a 650GS 2003 model with 20,000 miles and after market side bags (top loaders) that they want about$5900 for it.

Is 20,000 miles too many???

That isn't very many miles, but it may be getting close to needing a new chain and sprockets which last about 17,000-20,000 miles. Look closely for wear. Grab the chain at the back of the rear sprocket. If you can lift it from the sprocket teeth or if the teeth don't look symmetrical, then the chain and both sprockets should be replaced. Not expensive, but a consideration.

Back