• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

500 Miles and a few questions

passedetp

Greetings,
I've got a little less than 500 miles on the 2019 R1250GSA and I've got a few questions -

- I plan on doing the 600 mile run-in service myself. I haven't found anything on this site for a step-by-step instructional for this stage of maintenance. Is there anything online that provides this for the R1250GSA? I figured there pretty similar for the 1200, but just want to be sure.

- I've already ridden in some heavy rain and have an odor that reminds me of burnt rubber/hot metal coming from the rear of the bike when it's really wet. I'm confident that it is water hitting the catalytic converter, but want to be sure. It is still in the "run in" phase of its life and don't want to be risking a hard-part failure. Anyone else notice this odor in the rain?

- On other forums I've been a part of, there was a "service/maintenance" section. I haven't seen a dedicated area here and was wondering if I'm missing something. If anyone can point me in the right direction for a BMW MOA maintenance area, I'd appreciate it.

- Lastly, I'm assuming that the majority of the 1200 GSA and the 1250 GSA service procedures are very similar. If anyone is aware of major differences in routine maintenance, please pass along. I only want to know the differences because there is a lot of info and videos available for the 1200 service procedures.

Thanks in advance and take care.

- Austin

Greetings,
I've got a little less than 500 miles on the 2019 R1250GSA and I've got a few questions -

- I plan on doing the 600 mile run-in service myself. I haven't found anything on this site for a step-by-step instructional for this stage of maintenance. Is there anything online that provides this for the R1250GSA? I figured there pretty similar for the 1200, but just want to be sure.

I'm guessing the check list is the same as the R1200 liquid cooled bikes.
A&S BMW has online service schedule check lists but they do not have the R1250 listed at this time.
I usually ask my dealer for all of the service checklists.

I can't think of anything that will be different on the later services.
Checking the valves appear to be similar to a R1200LC.
When it comes time to change a shim, removing the cams will be different because of the the motor that makes the cam shift.
Can't remember the name of that part :)

FWIW, I like to have the dealer do the first bike service....for a number of reasons. It lets a buyer get to know the service team. It lets the dealer know that the first service was done. It gives the bike a chance to be hooked up to the computer and receive the "latest and greatest" software upgrades.

I see you are new to the forum- Welcome! I hope you are enjoying your new bike. If you do want to do the service yourself, this "sticky"-

https://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?70623-Wetheads-Accessories-Mods-and-DIY-s

has a great collection, submitted by the members, of how to get the most from the Wethead series of bikes.

Good luck.

Gary

Greetings,

- I've already ridden in some heavy rain and have an odor that reminds me of burnt rubber/hot metal coming from the rear of the bike when it's really wet. I'm confident that it is water hitting the catalytic converter, but want to be sure. It is still in the "run in" phase of its life and don't want to be risking a hard-part failure. Anyone else notice this odor in the rain?

- On other forums I've been a part of, there was a "service/maintenance" section. I haven't seen a dedicated area here and was wondering if I'm missing something. If anyone can point me in the right direction for a BMW MOA maintenance area, I'd appreciate it.

- Lastly, I'm assuming that the majority of the 1200 GSA and the 1250 GSA service procedures are very similar. If anyone is aware of major differences in routine maintenance, please pass along. I only want to know the differences because there is a lot of info and videos available for the 1200 service procedures.

Thanks in advance and take care.

- Austin
https://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?94731-ShiftCam-Valve-Check&p=1163055&highlight=#post1163055

You can check with jimvonbaden as he has a new shift cam GS and has done some checks. Not sure if he has any tutorial DVDs for the new shift cam yet, but you may send him a PM to inquire on the differences between 1200 and 1250 motors.

Cheers,
William

FWIW, I like to have the dealer do the first bike service....for a number of reasons. It lets a buyer get to know the service team. It lets the dealer know that the first service was done. It gives the bike a chance to be hooked up to the computer and receive the "latest and greatest" software upgrades.

Gary

I agree with Gary. I do the first service, and then the rest myself.

Gentlemen,
Thank you very much for taking the time to find threads, other members, etc. I appreciate it.

Though I certainly agree with having the dealer do the first service, I didn't want to leave my bike there for 3 days - nothing against the dealer, they're just busy. Besides, I've been wrenching on everything I've owned for decades and haven't lost interest in working on new machines. I must admit, it's impressive how solid this bike is.

What I did do was a sort of hybrid approach. I went to the dealer to pick up fluids and consumables and the service folks were kind enough to walk through my bike and clear the service code. I asked about the odor from the CAT, a small sign of grease from the front axle, and some uncertainties with my transmission. They looked and assured me everything was normal for the break-in process.

I then shot home and changed/checked the fluids at the 701 mile mark. It couldn't have been easier.

Anyway, thanks again. I will definitely use the included links for future projects.

Take care,
Austin

Here's the list of work a dealer does on a R1200RS. The list for a GS is the same except there's no steering head bearing check.

600 Mile Service_0001.jpg

Back