• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2023 R1250R Announced

Soon to be nicknamed the R-Ant

95022860.jpg

P90483761_lowRes_bmw-r-1250-r-triple-.jpg

https://www.press.bmwgroup.com/global/article/detail/T0404877EN/the-new-bmw-r-1250-r-roadster

IMO the design team failed. "Triple Black?" Then why the silver bits? Either embrace an all black or not.
It also looks to me they are downplaying the boxer design, almost like they're trying to hide the fact.

The other examples look much worse than the black. Just my 2c. Maybe I'm more of a traditionalist? :dunno

This a perfect example of why I didn't buy any BMWs after 1975 until 2017.
My latest purchase is a 44 year old air head.
The only thing this bike lacks is a "beak".

I wouldn't have gone with that design - too many sharp angles; and I'm worried about things that may lurk behind the photos. Out of curiosity I built the model I would want, and noticed the below statement on the last page of the build.

*European model shown. Starting on 01/12/2020 the vehicle shown here is expected to be delivered with a brake system from another manufacturer (possibly with different appearance) instead of the Brembo brand brake system. BMW Motorrad NA reserves the right to alter prices and specification without notice. BMW Motorrad NA has made every effort to ensure the accuracy of information, but does not accept liability for any errors or omissions. All equipment and packages are subject to model year changes.

If the statement applies to the ’23 model, why would they insert the date 01/12/20? Why would they deliberately show a photo of the '23 bike with Brembo brakes, if the bike is not expected to come with them? Remember, they're making "every effort to ensure the accuracy of information.” Just about every company reserves the right to alter prices without notice, but how many of us think the price will be less without Brembo brakes. And, why are they not offering Brembo brakes in the USA?

Somehow while making every effort to be accurate, BMW NA has managed to make things very confused.

As for me, I won't buy a BMW without Brembo brakes.

E.

*European model shown. Starting on 01/12/2020 the vehicle shown here is expected to be delivered with a brake system from another manufacturer (possibly with different appearance) instead of the Brembo brand brake system. BMW Motorrad NA reserves the right to alter prices and specification without notice. BMW Motorrad NA has made every effort to ensure the accuracy of information, but does not accept liability for any errors or omissions. All equipment and packages are subject to model year changes.

If the statement applies to the ’23 model, why would they insert the date 01/12/20? Why would they deliberately show a photo of the '23 bike with Brembo brakes, if the bike is not expected to come with them? Remember, they're making "every effort to ensure the accuracy of information.” Just about every company reserves the right to alter prices without notice, but how many of us think the price will be less without Brembo brakes. And, why are they not offering Brembo brakes in the USA?

E.

That statement was on the BMW USA site last year when we ordered our 2022 R1250RSs. Our bikes arrived with Brembo and every other 2022 R1250RS and R1250R I saw.

Oct 12 2021 (1).jpg

I wouldn't have gone with that design - too many sharp angles; and I'm worried about things that may lurk behind the photos. Out of curiosity I built the model I would want, and noticed the below statement on the last page of the build.

Somehow while making every effort to be accurate, BMW NA has managed to make things very confused.

As for me, I won't buy a BMW without Brembo brakes.

E.

Probably a copy/paste mistake.

No hate here. Last time I checked I had an '18 RT with Brembo brakes in the garage. Some people just don't drink the Kool-Aid.

E.

I shouldn't but I can't resist.

Who's drinking the Kool-Aid? ..... "As for me, I won't buy a BMW without Brembo brakes."

:D

My 2¢...

A contemporary "Transformer" looking bike like that may just attract some (much discussed) younger riders to the MOA.

There ya go. Us old folks aren’t the market that will sustain the company, are we? We’re done with Acquisition Phase. This will get a younger person on board the arc some of us have ridden for a few decades with BMWs, imho.

BMWs designers are in their 30s.

I like their designs. Remember, at one time the R90S and R100RS were like spaceships and regarded as odd looking.

Same with the GS. Tastes moderate with exposure, don’t they?

Oh my goodness. 20 years ago BMW introduced the R1150R. I was considering buying an R1100GS or R1150GS but when I saw the R1150R the game changed. I would have been one of those mostly highway GS riders, with occasional forays in construction zones and down gravel or dirt roads into muddy campgrounds. I was not going to do whoops, single track, or such suspension eating riding.

So one year from retirement I bought an R1150R. I promptly got with Al Jesse and we discovered the Jesse luggage for the 1150GS fit the 1150R almost perfectly. I had a 3 gallon fuel cell welded into the top case. I mounted 50-50 dual purpose tires. And of course running lights on low beam and driving lights on high beam.

After 189,000 miles I sold that bike.

And now I probably won't buy one, but I really like the looks of the R1250R!

Last edited:
Looks like the heated grip switch takes you to the screen on the TFT where you select grips or seat then adjust the heat level.
You can see it at 1:10 on the video.

<iframe width="1184" height="666" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/aSnp_Plz9BA" title="2023 BMW R 1250 R _ First Look" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Vehicles seem to go through times where the design changes from "curvy and flowing" to "straight lines and angular." Designs have been in the straight lines and angular for a while now, but it is the current trend. I do tend the lean more towards the curvy and flowing. Also, there's some part of a vehicle's design that I'm not too crazy about. With regards to the new R, the bike doesn't look bad to me, but I'm not I'm not a big fan of the headlight. I've seen similar styles on other bikes, so it's clearly the current style, but something just looks off to me. Just my opinion, and I know there's others with the exact opposite.

Vehicles seem to go through times where the design changes from "curvy and flowing" to "straight lines and angular." Designs have been in the straight lines and angular for a while now, but it is the current trend. I do tend the lean more towards the curvy and flowing. Also, there's some part of a vehicle's design that I'm not too crazy about. With regards to the new R, the bike doesn't look bad to me, but I'm not I'm not a big fan of the headlight. I've seen similar styles on other bikes, so it's clearly the current style, but something just looks off to me. Just my opinion, and I know there's others with the exact opposite.

From what I can tell, you can't get Dynamic ESA on it, which seems like an oversight when you can get it on the F900s and the S1000s, as well as the GS.

Maybe I missed it, but that seems like a pretty big oversight.

Back