• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2017 R1200RT Service Price, does this sound right?

AtagiRider

New to posting, not sure if this is the correct area.

Bought 2017 R1200RT new in Feb of 2018: Every service price has been running around $400-450.00 US for basic 6000-mile service (6000-12000-18000, not counting tires,, etc..). Last service was at 18000 miles in the winter of 2019 for $450 US. Big slow down riding because of pandemic. Hit 20,000 miles this January 2022 and service light went off. Took to dealer and the service fee is now $1300.00 +

Service manager says since it hasn't been serviced since the 2019 18000 mile the BMW service tracker/computer says it has to catch up for additional services missed for 2020 and 2021. Does this sound accurate or is this a scam from the dealer? He states it will only get worse every 6000 miles plus the age as the bike gets older. This bike is too sophisticated for me to do the maintenance.

Maybe time to sell???

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

AtagiRider,

Alabama

What, they are going to do three oil changes? Sounds like a load of BS to me. A valve check and adjustment if required might increase the cost, but that much?

That sounds a touch high, but may 24,000 on 2018 RTW was a touch under $1000 this past fall, but I change my own oil, using their stuff, which is another $98 in supplies

First thing I'd do is ask them to list every item they're including in that price. They - and you - should have the BMW checklists for a 6,000-mile, and 12,000-mile services. They are NOT the same (12,000-mile service is more involved), so how could the cost of service be roughly the same? Some service items are time, and not mileage-based, like changing the brake fluid (initially at the one-year [point, then every two years thereafter). And, when you're not putting on many miles, there are annual service checklists.

Yea. Forks come in at some point and the valve check. I bought my 16 used and went for a quote at 18k and they said 1200ish

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The dealer is trying to make up for the profit lost in the past couple years.

The only maintenance required by the time interval since the 18,000 mile service are oil & filter change (every year), final drive oil change (every 2 years), and brake fluid change (every 2 years).

All of the other items (attached) are to be checked on a mileage basis and are not due until you hit 24,000 miles. Most of those are just checks, don't require tools, and probably take a tech about five minutes altogether, if they actually do them.

Costs might be higher as time and mileage accumulate and parts wear out, but the same maintenance schedule is used at 150,000 miles as at 20,000 miles.

I check everything every year just because I do it all myself and I enjoy the work and the peace of mind it gives me, but it is not strictly necessary. And I don't need to deal with lying dealers.

Attachments

• All_service.pdf
    91.1 KB · Views: 39
  • Current service.pdf
    202.6 KB · Views: 29
Watch box flyer videos or others, learn from them, or find another owner to help you. Print the checklist, do all the items you can do, oil, rear bevel fluid, inspect brakes etc. Then go to the desk with the specific items you want done, get estimate, and go from there.

Sounds excessive to me. The air filter and spark plugs don't go bad while the bike is parked. The valves don't go out of adjustment over time either. Those things are mileage based, not time. I'd change the engine oil and brake fluid and ride it till it's due for the 24,000 mile service. In the mean time I'd look for a different shop.

They - and you - should have the BMW checklists for a 6,000-mile, and 12,000-mile services. They are NOT the same (12,000-mile service is more involved), so how could the cost of service be roughly the same? .

I agree. Sounds like they skipped some work on the earlier services.
And it makes no sense for them trying to stack several Annual services at the same time.

Bought 2017 R1200RT new in Feb of 2018: Every service price has been running around $400-450.00 US for basic 6000-mile service (6000-12000-18000, not counting tires,, etc..). Last service was at 18000 miles in the winter of 2019 for $450 US. Big slow down riding because of pandemic. Hit 20,000 miles this January 2022 and service light went off. Took to dealer and the service fee is now $1300.00 +

Service manager says since it hasn't been serviced since the 2019 18000 mile the BMW service tracker/computer says it has to catch up for additional services missed for 2020 and 2021. Does this sound accurate or is this a scam from the dealer? He states it will only get worse every 6000 miles plus the age as the bike gets older. This bike is too sophisticated for me to do the maintenance.

Maybe time to sell???

AtagiRider,

Alabama

Thanks to all of the replies. You guys are great. Great information and I am confident in moving forward with my RT. Really love the bike and want to keep it.

Maybe time to sell???

AtagiRider,

Alabama

Not sure what's going on there, but it appears suspect.
on my 20 RT I just had that part of the 12K service done which I let the dealer do, which was the valve check and plug change AND valve cover gasket replacement plus cam alignment check, for a total parts and labor of $367.78 + 17 bucks for CA Tax on parts. I do change all my own fluids as it is extremely simple, as well as the air filter. I set or reset my service indicator light at will, at my leisure, any time as often as I want, to whatever I want, with my mobile phone at no cost. Resetting your service light has no bearing on cost of current or future inspections or maintenance. It is true that BMW keeps a computer log of your bike every time it is hooked up to the mothership, but it is only interested in your total mileage or software levels, etc. for warranty purposes and version numbers and not in your maintenance reminder light settings. These can be manipulated by anyone outside of BMW's control, not the least of which is by your dealer at their whim. The rest of this gibberish sounds just like scare mongering.

One of the advantages of the R models is the relative simplicity of service. On the K models I have owned these numbers of $1000 + are common, since you have to take half the engine and the cooling system apart to get to anything like plugs or valves.

It is a bad idea to just tell a dealership’s service department that you want a xx,000 mile service. You should tell them precisely what work you want them to preform. Track your own maintenance and know what work is needed and when. It lessens the chance for misunderstandings and huge bills. The fact that your previous bills were all the same indicates they were not doing the work specified for a 12k service instead of a 6K service. Hard to trust them when they screw that up.

Back