• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2017 R1200RT Leaking fork seal

nyfty

Just returned from the TOR. On the last day doing a pre ride walk around I noticed that the right fork seal was allowing fork oil to seep out. Not gushing but enough to wet the top of the whole seal. I know that the oil in the legs are only there to allow them to slide easily. So I thought I'd check out Max or A&S sites for parts. The seals are not listed! I'm sure this has happened to other riders. Anyone know where to get for seals? As well as the torque settings when it's reinstalled in the triple clamps?

I have not had the chance to use these, but I read a bunch of reviews hear and on other sites about Seal Mate. I ordered two (one for each bike), but luckily none of my fork seals are leaking at the moment. You might want to give it a shot, since it's not very expensive. It's a tool to clean the seals for them to function properly.

https://sealmate.net/

I'd try to clean the seal first, might save some work. If cleaning doesn't work you have not lost anything but a little time.

Many other plastics will work, I think thinner types might be better than milk cartons. Perhaps cut the tool from a blister pack, or a water bottle.

Save your money

Thanks all, I'll try this before tearing the bike apart.

Cleaning the seals can often save the day - but you don't have to buy the seal savers. Seal leaks happen much more frequently on my dirt bikes, so I just get a plasticized playing card, or a piece of 35mm film (remember that stuff?) and cut them with sissors to make a little "hook" which I then insert up into the seal, just like a seal saver. This can actually be a life saver when you are out, get a seal leak and don't have a "seal saver" with you. Almost anything will do if it is stiff and thin enough.

By the way, a seal went on my 2014 RT at around 35,000 miles. Cleaning the seal didn't help - so I had the seals replaced in both forks (since they come in pairs). The oil in the forks still looked new - I was sorta surprised.

I just replaced the seal on my right fork leg, 2015 R1200RT. The factory kit contains 2 seals (plus shims, snap-rings and dust seal). Easy to pull and re-install. Remove the fork leg from the bike if you plan to change the oil. Doesn't take that long. Factory says 545 ml. I put in 500ml and the level from top of fork leg was 100mm, which is midpoint of the 90-110mm range. If you don't remove the fork leg and dump out the oil, I would probably add 20-40ml and call it good.

Leaky for seals

I just went through changing the seals in my 2005 boxer cup R1100RS because the right side was leaking .Turns out the bushing was missing from the factory since day 1!Replaced both seal and 1 bushing all good now.

Back