• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2017 Iron Butt Rally

Love this synopsis about where the riders are now

Riders are reaching apogee. The rubber band is taught. Riders are feeling the tug of Minneapolis and gazing at the horizon...and horizon beyond. There are a precious few mountain ranges, valleys, and prairies between them and the barn. We're in Day 9 and "the fog" is starting to set in riders minds. Nobody can understand this time between now and the finish...except maybe riders who have done it before...and even we only vaguely remember it. Majestic sunrises have been seen, wispy sunsets witnessed, and emotions are just below the surface of every rider. Triumph and bittersweet tears are in play...and hopefully no tragedy to come. Give a virtual hug to your favorite rider tonight. They can feel you...theyre reading this and social media even though they can't say anything....they're turning their two wheels to get back to you. And we're at the Finish Line, virtual or literal, waiting with open arms....and even Warchild is smiling. Minnesota wants you to come back! Ride smooth tonight IBR Class of 2017. Matt Watkins IBA #332

We're up to the final 24 hours of the rally.
I can tell you that the feeling of being close to done with the biggest ride of my life filled me with elation!

Here's the latest, a twofer:

Heartbreak, barns and boats:
http://ibr.wvi.com/ibr/_2017/2017IBR-Wednesday-July 05-Day10.pdf

And another sidebar: Velocity, monitoring and woe:
http://ibr.wvi.com/ibr/_2017/2017IBR-Wednesday-July 05-Sidebar6.pdf

Voni
sMiling

It is funny that I can recall the final 24 hours of my 1999 rally but not where I was Thursday morning before the Friday finish in 2003. The 2003 rally had many more bonuses and zig-zags than I rode in '99 so that may account for that. In any event, the last 24 hours is an interesting time as the riders head for the finish. It is almost always the case that the top few positions are decided by bonuses obtained or not obtained in the last 24 hours.

There's always a lot of talk about reliability issues of different brands of motorcycles. I'm pretty sure Paul and I can claim to have ridden the highest mileage team of bikes in the Rally. (Paul's K75 and my R11RS each had over 300,000 miles on the odometer at the final checkpoint.)

And other than a headlight issue, and a tank of bad gas quickly remedied with a bottle of Heat, we had no mechanical troubles. Sure makes the whole experience less intense when bonus seeking, gas, food and sleep are all you have to think about!

Wishing safe sMiles for all the riders zeroing in on Minneapolis to arrive by 10 AM.

Voni
sMiling

Anyone claiming that finishing the IBR is "easy" in order to denigrate by implication the effort and achievement of others is off the mark. That said, finishing will be easier for some than for others. There will be those who will cross the finish line with nothing left in the tank; others will have something in reserve remaining.

Do I think that everyone in the 2017 IBR is exerting the same level of effort? No. Some are riding to finish as high as they can; others are riding to finish. I applaud them all and wish them all a safe journey to the finish.

R/Jim

If you're on Facebook, you can watch live coverage of the close of the Rally.

https://www.facebook.com/longridersradio/

Most of the riders are in. 40 more minutes till the window closes and there are still riders who maybe carrying worthless points.

At the banquet tonight all will be revealed!

Voni
sMiling

Untitled.jpg

Official end of the 2017 Iron Butt Rally
Some just had their heart's broken after 11 days of chasing points.
Most are very very happy to be there!
All will be revealed at the banquet tonight.
UPDATE: Those closer to the action tell me all riders were in or accounted for 20 minutes before the window slammed shut.

It's kinda like being Darth Vader watching a battle with the Rebel Alliance from the bridge of the Death Star.....

Back