• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2016 RT GPS cradle has two clipped wires

RANBUSH

Ran Bush
Checking out the new-to-me 2016 RT today, the GPS cradle has two clipped wires. Previous owner said he never had a GPS on the bike. They don't seem to be hot with ignition key on or off.

Anybody know what those wires are supposed to be connected to?

clipped GPS wires - thumb.jpeg

Update: I bought a used Zumo 660 on FleaBayt, and it wouldn't power up when I put it in the RT GPS cradle. Makes me think that the two clipped wires were 12V power.

Ick.

Who would do that kind of lame "modification" ? And, why?

Update: I bought a used Zumo 660 on FleaBayt, and it wouldn't power up when I put it in the RT GPS cradle. Makes me think that the two clipped wires were 12V power.

Ick.

Are you sure a 660 is compatible with the BMW cradle? I thought the cradle was only directly compatible with the Garmin Nav IV, V, VI GPS's. There continue to be screen reliability issues with the Nav VI. There are some adapters to convert the BMW mount to use with other Garmin's, such as an Italian made mount to attach an XT/XT to the BMW cradle., but you lose wonderwheel support and get no bike info, to the extent your bike offered either.

> Are you sure a 660 is compatible with the BMW cradle?

Thanks for the reply.

I've seen threads on other sites that said it is, but you know how that goes. I've got a buddy with a '16 RT, next weekend I'll see if this 660 works in his bike, and if his Nav 5 works on my bike.

The 660 will get power from the cradle. No other functionality. I have a 660 on my 2017 RT and used it on a 2015 GTL.

Ick.

It's probably that the PO wired in a different gps.
Check the cable from the mount, it may just have been unplugged and another wire inserted next to it.
The 660 should work fine with that mount.

Thanks for all the replies.

I returned the eBay 660. Although it _looked_ correct, and all the internet chatter said it would fit, I couldn't get it to mount securely in my BMW dash.

I will post again when I figure out an answer about the clipped wires.

Last edited:
Have you tried putting a voltmeter across the wires? Or putting it from one wire to ground?

OK, mystery solved!

I took the dash (aka "instrument cover" in BMW-speak) off today and what looked like clipped wires is actually the ends of a black twist-tie that is holding guess what, the unconnected cables that would power the cradle if the previous owner had a GPS installed.

However, somebody has definitely been in there because the screw in one of the "expanding rivets" was snapped off, and one of the grommets that the instrument cover pops into is missing. Doesn't seem like something that would have happened at the factory, but who knows ...

And it definitely explains why the FleaBayt Zumo 660 wouldn't power up. :blush

GPS wires.jpg

Last edited:
OK, mystery solved!

I took the dash (aka "instrument cover" in BMW-speak) off today and what looked like clipped wires is actually the ends of a black twist-tie that is holding guess what, the unconnected cables that would power the cradle if the previous owner had a GPS installed.

However, somebody has definitely been in there because the screw in one of the "expanding rivets" was snapped off, and one of the grommets that the instrument cover pops into is missing. Doesn't seem like something that would have happened at the factory, but who knows ...

And it definitely explains why the FleaBayt Zumo 660 wouldn't power up. :blush

View attachment 92486

Strange that someone would unplug the connectors and leave the mount in place.
Maybe they removed the mount and and reinstalled it when they traded or sold the bike and did not want to remove the body work to plug it in.

Strange that someone would unplug the connectors and leave the mount in place.
Maybe they removed the mount and and reinstalled it when they traded or sold the bike and did not want to remove the body work to plug it in.

It makes sense, the factory wouldn't ship unplugged and wouldn't use a twist tie.

If the OP wants to use the OEM mount, get a Nav V. If not get a Garmin zumo XT. Look here and on other sites on how to mount it on the RT.

Yeah, it's strange that someone would leave it like that.

I called my dealer, and a very nice Service Dep't person sent me a pic of the BMW "GPS Prep Kit". The BMW pic clearly shows two male connectors under the dash near the back side of the instrument panel, and near the windshield mechanism motor. My photo of that area shows that my bike doesn't have those connectors.

Has anybody else with a '16 RT seen these GPS connectors on their bike?

GPS Plug.jpgGPS Plug - not.jpg

Check your VIN to see if it was built with GPS Prep.

Thanks for the idea, Lee. The gal at my Dealership ran my VIN and said the bike was shipped with GPS Prep.

So I messed with it some more today, and I finally noticed that there was one male plug with a cap on it, that was zip tied into a holder. The PDF that the Dealership sent me showed two plugs, but I only found one.

I cut the zip tie and took the cap off and lo and behold the pins in the male plug matched the pins in the female socket. The wires weren't the same color in both halves, but I took a chance. Fired the bike up and the GPS cradle has power now.

I'll report back after I see if the Nav 5 will power up.

Last edited:
Thanks for the idea, Lee. The gal at my Dealership ran my VIN and said the bike was shipped with GPS Prep.

So I messed with it some more today, and I finally noticed that there was one male plug with a cap on it, that was zip tied into a holder. The PDF that the Dealership sent me showed two plugs, but I only found one.

I cut the zip tie and took the cap off and lo and behold the pins in the male plug matched the pins in the female socket. The wires weren't the same color in both halves, but I took a chance. Fired the bike up and the GPS cradle has power now.

I'll report back after I see if the Nav 5 will power up.

I think the 2nd plug is for audio on bikes with a sound system.
My RS does not have a sound system but I can hear directions with Bluetooth to speakers in my helmet if I want.
Most of the time I have the GPS sound muted.

Here is a diagram of the GPS cradle pin functions that I found on another RT Forum. I hope it helps somebody else.

Attachments

• GPS cradle pin info.jpg
    GPS cradle pin info.jpg
    125.8 KB · Views: 103
Happy ending; after two failed used Zumo purchases from FleaBayt, I decided to stop messing around and bought a new Zumo XT from GPS City in Lost Wages. Price was $500 but no shipping charges, and they include a bunch of RAM ball mounts, adapters, Zumo power cable, etc etc with the purchase.

And, I've seen here and on uTude that a Spanish company sells a $55 adapter that securely mounts the XT into the '16 OEM cradle. The adapter got here from Spain almost as fast as the XT from Lost Wages.

Hooked it all up and after all the mysteries, I've got a functioning GPS on my '16 RT.

Attachments

• XT.jpg
    XT.jpg
    183.8 KB · Views: 66
Back