• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2015 RT Handlebar Barbacks

exgman

I've looked for alternative solutions for moving my handlebar position on my 2015 RT. I've seen the solution offered by Ilium Works which costs about $105 and that offered by Wunderlich which costs about $450. On its face, the choice seems like a no-brainer. I'd be interested in knowing if anyone has any experience and opinions about either solution. The Ilium website has a very helpful video which makes it look like a pretty straightforward process. Some of the user reviews on the Wunderlich website cite problems with the install.

Thanks for any information anyone can offer.

John

bar-backs.jpg

http://www.iliumworks.com/BMW_Motorcycle_Accessories.cfm?pn=30-500&pID=103

I wish price were the factor that made something a no-brainer! (Though then I wouldn't own a BMW) Having said that, I got the Illium though I confess I( did not compare the two. The Illium solved my problem with a good product, easy install, and decent looks. Does the Wonderlich give much more bar backup? the Illium is about 1.5" IIRC. Worked for me. BTW add cost of sending back the special tool- it really helps.)

Vote for Ilium Works

This was one of the first items that I added to my 2016 R1200RT. Highly recommended, allows miles to melt away in comfort. All their products that I have added to my RT have only increased comfort. I recommend their engine guards and highway pegs too! For reference, I am a whopping 5’ 8”. As always, YMMV, ride safe!

Thank you everyone! Clearly Ilium barbacks and the tool rental are the way to go. I've been riding on Russell Day-Long seats for 80K miles, and Illium Sport-Boards for the same distance. Age seems to be taking its toll, but I'm trying to hang in there.

The only problem with Ilium is...

I also needed some ergo adjustment to the stock handlebar position. So, like most of you I investigated the options and chose Ilium Works based on their reputation for quality and their relatively lower cost. I installed them per their instructions, which say to line up the extensions with the slope of the OEM handlebar mounts. In this recommended position, the extensions are taller and slightly rearward than the OEM bars.

I found that the recommended position places the handgrips too high, and caused me discomfort in my wrists. So, I tried to adjust them straight back, instead of mostly up and slightly back. And this is where you will discover a problem. The brake and clutch master cylinders mounted to handgrips need to rotate forward to remain level when you pull the handlebars straight back. But there is interference that won't allow you to rotate the fluid reservoirs far enough forward.

So, you have a choice: you can rotate the bars straight back, and as a result have your brake and clutch fluid reservoirs canted at about 30 degree to level (not good), or you can limit your rearward rotation of the handlebars to the point at which your fluid reservoirs are still mostly level (frustrating).

I spoke about this with MOA member Boxflyer, and he showed me a tip that would make the situation slightly better: on the bottoms of the clutch and brake reservoirs, there is a narrow "fin" that can be relieved to create about 3/16" extra rotation of the master cylinders on the handlebar. Carefully cutting this fin back gives you the extra clearance. I used a 4-inch angle grinder with a cutoff wheel. Took a couple of minutes on each side with two people: I held the piece, still connected to the bike by the fluid lines, while Boxflyer worked the cutoff tool. Masking tape to protect the master cylinder, and a towel to protect the bike. Black sharpie to disguise the shiny aluminum cut marks. This gives just enough extra bar-back to make it comfortable for me. Your mileage may vary.

Cap

Cap - thanks very much for that very complete description of what I may need to do. I've ridden 35K miles without the bar-backs, so, I don't think I'll need to rush into applying the fix (if needed). I've ordered the pieces and tool from Ilium and will probably get to do all this sometime in mid-July.

John

Back