• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2015 R1200RT - DIY Aftermarket Aux LED Light Install

mohuck

I wanted some extra light for my RT, but did not want to pay the ~$800 for the BMW versions. LED lights are becoming commodities, and I found some nice quality ones for ~$35 a piece. Installation involved a little soldering, cable routing, and attachment of some mounting clamps. The lights are 10W, 30 degree beam spread, and 900 lumens bright each. I used a pre-built wiring harness with integrated relay. I did not care about the integration of the light control into the RT settings menu - I actually thought that having to dig through the menu just to turn on the lights would be a PITA. I ended up removing the power port on the right side fairing - I'll never use it anyway - and replaced with a weatherproof rocker switch that fit in the same hole. I really like being able to just flick the lights on and off easily. These things are crazy bright and I use them all the time for my city driving (commuting in STL) as well as for night rides in the country. They really light up the road and are great for spotting dear and other critters ahead and alongside the road. I've had them on for over a year now, through hard rains and at highway speeds with no trouble. Just thought you all might be interested.

Here is picture of the lights and wiring harness I used:

Parts01.jpg

I mounted the lights to my Wunderlich bars using some Kuryakyn P-clamps:

Parts02.jpg

Here are some close-up shots of my switch and what the lights look like installed:

Installed001.jpg

Here is link to the website where I purchased the lights. (I've gotten a ton of stuff from SuperBright LEDs and it's all been high quality stuff so far.)

Here is link to the Wiring Harness I used.

Here is link to the P-Clamps I used on my Wunderlich bars.

Back