• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2009 R1200RT seat replacement recommendations

javadave

I'm in day three of my first cross country trip on my 2009 R1200RT after I bought it in June and have already decided to find a better seat. I love the bike but not the seat!
-- I have the stock seat in the upper position due to a 32" inseam and want to keep that height as the lower position scrunches my knees too much.
-- The back seat will never be used, so the comfort of the front seat is all I care about.
-- I'm not concerned about fancy looks, just good long-haul comfort and durability.
-- I do want to keep the heated seats integrated to the current BMW harness.

Recommendations from those of you with experience would be appreciated, especially pros and cons as to why you recommend one brand or seat material over another.

Also, I'm curious about experiences with stitched leather seats in the rain.

Thanks,
David

Russell Day Long for sure. Put one on my 2012 about a month after I got it. 112,000 mile later...never think about the seat.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

Seat

Standard Corbin front and rear seat for me. I can ride from tank to tank with no thoughts on the seat. My best recommendation but have only 20k on the seat. My wife says pillion is best she's sat on.

While each person's butt has different needs, I have had the following on my R1200RT: Stock, Russel Daylong, Corbin, and Sargent. I kept the Daylong, and have no regrets. I hated the stock seat. The Corbin was really good for 3-4 hours, but after that, it bothered me. The Sargent was bettter than stock, but not better enough to keep. Props to them for their money back guarntee! My Daylong has a vinyl cover. Were I to do it again, I'd get the leather topcover and vinyl sides. You need a seat cover for when it rains, but I find the leather topcovers to be more comfortable for long days. I may get it recovered over the Winter, if I'm in the mood.
You mentioned your knees. Have you considered lowered footpegs? There are several good ones, and they can make a difference. I have one bad knee, and it causes me much pain even with the lowered footpegs. It is much better, though.

Over 50,000 miles on the Sargent front seat with no complaints on my 2009 R1200RT. Plus, the Sargent uses its own seat pan so you don't have to send it in. The bike's standard handlebar heat controller works fine with the seat's heater.

I got mine made locally and it turned out better than one of the 'regulars' I tried first. Also came in at half the cost!

I've tried stock, comfort, Corbin and Russell Day- Long. The only one that worked for hours in the saddle was the Russell.For me, there was no comparison. It's not sporty or stylish, but it works. I just did a 12,000 trip to Alaska with my longest day (my last) at 25 hours. Although I won't do that again, my butt was not the problem. My recommendation is with that of most of the other posters... Russell!

Doug

Going to echo what a lot of others have said, Russell is where my butt likes to rest. I have a Corbin for the rear and a Russell for both front and rear. Like what Kurmugin stated, the Corbin after 3-4 hours become very uncomfortable when compared to the Russell. The Russell's are more expensive, but worth every single dime. Keep and eye in the Market Place and a few other BMW forums and see if you can snag a used one from someone who upgraded to the LC (the 05-13 seats to not fit with the LC versions).
Good luck
Mike

7 hours and 410 miles Friday; 9 hours and 410 miles Sunday, with a 300 mile loop in Northwest, Vermont Saturday. Could have gone all day. Russell Day-Long on my '09RT.

There's a reason that most LD riders have Russel Day Long saddles - they work amazingly well. If you can swing it, go to the shop and be professionally fit. I did a 48/10 last September and never once did I have any trouble with my butt.

Back