• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2008 RT GPS Wiring Options

ItsPhilD

Just picked up a 2008 RT. Also just purchased a Garmin 390LM. While I admit to not being the best wrench out there, with good instructions I can usually take my time and get a project done competently.

That being said I'd like to know my best and or easiest wiring for my Garmin wiring harness to something that is keyed to the ignition as opposed to wiring it directly to the battery and having it hot all of the time? I don't have any need for other electric devices so I'd prefer to not have to install a fuse box.

Any guidance is appreciated.

Buy the repair plug and wire it to the GPS power cord and plug it into the existing socket provided by BMW for the OEM GPS.

Attachments

• power_connector.jpg
    power_connector.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 232
Buy the repair plug and wire it to the GPS power cord and plug it into the existing socket provided by BMW for the OEM GPS.

Nice, but it don't have a service manual and not sure where the socket is located. A little more help would be appreciated :)

Nice, but it don't have a service manual and not sure where the socket is located. A little more help would be appreciated :)
Phil - The connector you want is located taped to the front part of the frame directly underneath the instrument panel. It's the one that fits the socket on the BMW harness ...

On that BMW harness you'll find three wires. The ones you want are the two outside ones, #1 and #3. The numbers are actually on the wires but it takes a really good eye to make them out. Better way to figure out which is hot and which is ground is to strip insulation from the two outer leads, keep the leads separate and plug the harness in, then take a voltmeter and (key on) read the voltage between each wire and the negative terminal of the battery. 12V means you've found the hot lead. 0V means you've found the ground. Verify the ground by turning off the key (wait a couple of minutes for the CANBus to shut everything down) and checking for resistance between the wire and the negative terminal of the battery. No resistance means you've found the ground. Measurable resistance means you've found the hot lead. Connect the hot lead on the BMW harness to the hot lead from your GPS mount (will probably be red) and the ground lead on the harness to the ground lead coming from the GPS mount (will probably be black). DO NOT cut into the wires on a plug-in type power cord, you need to connect to the leads on the GPS mount that are designed for connecting to +12V.

JayJay

The connector you want is located taped to the front part of the frame directly underneath the instrument panel. It's the one that fits the socket on the BMW harness ... JayJay

Thanks JayJay. Is this connector best accessed from the handlebar side or the headlight side? Or will I need to remove panels to get at it?

Sorry for all of the questions. Due to newly imposed rules in the apartment complex where I live I've had to rent a storage unit offsite and store my bike there. So I can't just go out and snoop around.

No need to remove the panels. Look up from underneath and you should see it taped to the fairing support. Wire #3 is positive, wire #1 is negative and wire #2 is not used.

Thanks everyone. When I called my favorite local BMW dealership they told me it would be $295 to do the wiring.

They have the part in stock for $22 and change. I'll pick it up tomorrow and when I get back from being out of town will solder things together and install. Now I just have to figure out where to strap that Garmin wiring harness bundle so it doesn't come loose and cause any problems.

Thanks everyone. When I called my favorite local BMW dealership they told me it would be $295 to do the wiring.

They have the part in stock for $22 and change. I'll pick it up tomorrow and when I get back from being out of town will solder things together and install. Now I just have to figure out where to strap that Garmin wiring harness bundle so it doesn't come loose and cause any problems.
Yeah, that wiring harness bundle is a handful. I ended up strapping mine (Garmin 665) to the front frame with zip ties, but be sure where you put it doesn't interfere with the fork when you turn it.

JayJay

Yeah, that wiring harness bundle is a handful. I ended up strapping mine (Garmin 665) to the front frame with zip ties, but be sure where you put it doesn't interfere with the fork when you turn it.

I have purchased the GPS Repair Kit wiring plug. And I think I've found the plug-in for it on the wiring harness. But I want to be sure before I start. Would appreciate knowing if the included pic is indeed the plug-in for the GPS. Earlier I was informed there would be a plug-in for the stereo system and the GPS, but I've found only one and don't want to assume. Hopefully my photography skills are good enough to give you a clear view of what I'm looking at.

Harness GPS Plug-in?.jpg

I have purchased the GPS Repair Kit wiring plug. And I think I've found the plug-in for it on the wiring harness. But I want to be sure before I start. Would appreciate knowing if the included pic is indeed the plug-in for the GPS. Earlier I was informed there would be a plug-in for the stereo system and the GPS, but I've found only one and don't want to assume. Hopefully my photography skills are good enough to give you a clear view of what I'm looking at.

View attachment 45711

That's it, just remove the plug that is in it and plug in your repair plug.

View attachment 45711
Phil - that looks like it from what I remember. Best way to find out is to remove the cover and try to plug your harness/adapter into it. If it fits, you've found it. Don't overthink it.

JayJay

GPS Plug/USB adapter - 2008 R1200RT

Can any reader advise the length of time following ignition shutoff that the power to the GPS plug remains on? When I had a Garmin Streetpilot running through the repair plug, it seemed to stay on about a minute. Today Omega Man (thanks Gary!) helped me install a USB Panel mount plug, using power from that location (See http://www.pashnit.com/product/3br/3br_tapp_usb.html#top). I used the Panel TAPP outlet. Everything worked fine, but three minutes after shutdown the power was still on.

After I disconnected my iPhone from the circuit, it shut down and required ignition on before powering up. Is it possible it's fooling the CANbus into staying on until the load is removed?

Any ideas appreciated...

TIA - John

Mine seems almost random. I have not timed it. I could swear that it has taken 5 min at times. Maybe in my head but if so my riding partner is just as senile as I am, he says the same.

Almost random is about right. :D

I don't know what BMW did. Others have written that the ZFE takes into account battery state and current draw and ??? to determine when to shut things down. My '05 GS would usually shut down within a minute. My manual stated that the accessory plug (and the GPS power plug is technically an optional accessory connector) can stay energized for "up to 15 minutes". Every so often my bike would keep things energized for about that long, just to confuse me.

Can any reader advise the length of time following ignition shutoff that the power to the GPS plug remains on? When I had a Garmin Streetpilot running through the repair plug, it seemed to stay on about a minute. Today Omega Man (thanks Gary!) helped me install a USB Panel mount plug, using power from that location (See http://www.pashnit.com/product/3br/3br_tapp_usb.html#top). I used the Panel TAPP outlet. Everything worked fine, but three minutes after shutdown the power was still on.

After I disconnected my iPhone from the circuit, it shut down and required ignition on before powering up. Is it possible it's fooling the CANbus into staying on until the load is removed?

Any ideas appreciated...

TIA - John
John - I've heard that it's a nominal 25 seconds (don't ask me where that came from). On mine the majority of the time that's about how it works, seems to shut off while I'm putting the cover on. But sometimes it's as long as several minutes.

I run my accessories (except the GPS) through a relayed fuse box that takes its signal from the rear accessory plug. So there's no load on the accessory circuit to fool the CANBus into staying on. If you're running your iPhone directly from the accessory plug then that could definitely fool the computer into keeping power to the accessories.

One thing I have figured out is that if you use the shutoff switch or kickstand to turn off the engine, and forget to turn off the key, the power to the GPS stays on indefinitely ...

JayJay

Thank you for the replies Lynn, Marchyman and JayJay. As with many electronic mysteries, the various configurations seem to make a difference. FWIW, whenever I'm more than 15' from the bike, the iPhone is with me, and the key is turned off and in my pocket. I think there won't be a load on the circuit, so I
imagine the CANbus won't keep it powered up.

I'm leaving on 7/14 to MN (Bemidji, then the MOA Rally), then NC, then back to MA. If the darn thing drains the battery, well, then when and if I get home, I'll fill in "the rest of the story" as Paul Harvey said so often. I know...this dates me...

Thank you for your information. Again, a BIG thank you to Omega Man for the installation!:thumb:thumb

JG

........ Again, a BIG thank you to Omega Man for the installation!:thumb:thumb

JG
Happy to help John, I wire things all the time-
18nb7qjui7n41jpg.jpg

:D :wave

OM

Almost random is about right. :D
I don't know what BMW did. Others have written that the ZFE takes into account battery state and current draw and ??? to determine when to shut things down. My '05 GS would usually shut down within a minute. My manual stated that the accessory plug (and the GPS power plug is technically an optional accessory connector) can stay energized for "up to 15 minutes". Every so often my bike would keep things energized for about that long, just to confuse me.

With my '09 RT and Zumo 660 GPS, if the Zumo battery is fully charged then one minute after shutdown the bike shuts off power to the Zumo.

If the Zumo battery is not fully charged, the bike power stays on for 20 minutes, then shuts off.

Back