• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

2008 Formula One Thread

Closing Singapore notes

BMW Sauber F1 Team - Singapore Grand Prix - Race
09-28-2008 Press Release
Weather: Dry track. Air: 28-30??C, Track: 31-32??C, Humidity: 66%-79%

Singapore (SG). Instead of the predicted procession on the narrow Singapore Marina Circuit, the huge crowd saw a very exciting first Formula One night race. However, the rewards for the BMW Sauber F1 Team were somewhat poor with only three points for Nick Heidfeld (6th) after Robert KubicaÔÇÖs very bad luck. The Pole needed to refuel when the pit lane was closed during a safety car period, and after being penalised he finished eleventh.

Nick Heidfeld: 6th
BMW Sauber F1.08-07 / BMW P86/8
Fastest Lap: 1:47.306 min on lap 14 (11th fastest overall)
ÔÇ£Although I shouldnÔÇÖt complain about finishing sixth when I came from ninth, I must say it is such a shame I couldnÔÇÖt show my pace today. The car was so good and I could have gone a lot faster if I hadnÔÇÖt been stuck in traffic all the time. I was even saving fuel and tyres because I hoped the others would kill their tyres and I could attack later. I think some did ruin their rubber, but still this wasnÔÇÖt enough of an advantage to overtake. I had a good start during which I managed to pass Nico Rosberg. However, because of how the race turned out for me I hardly sweated at all.ÔÇØ

Robert Kubica: 11th
BMW Sauber F1.08-05 / BMW P86/8
Fastest Lap: 1:46.899 min on lap 14 (6th fastest overall)
ÔÇ£The race was physically very hard. There are so many bumps, I hope the organisers will work on the surface for next year. On top of that, the visibility was getting worse and worse as I was getting tired. Over the final fifteen laps I had an incredible headache. The decision not to pit on the first lap when the pit lane was closed because of the Safety Car was unlucky, and cost me a good race result as the cars behind me closed the gap. The team thought the pit lane would reopen very soon, but this was not the case. However, thatÔÇÖs racing.ÔÇØ

Mario Theissen (BMW Motorsport Director):
ÔÇ£Another spectacular chapter was added to the Formula One history book. The first night race was a total success. My compliments go to the organisers. The race itself was turbulent and influenced by the first safety car period. Unfortunately the safety car rule meant Robert was completely out of contention in the race, whereas Nick was able to stay out just long enough until the pit lane was reopened. This was a shame for Robert because he was well on his way to score important points for the championship standings. By finishing sixth Nick made up three positions and scored three points. Everything didnÔÇÖt go according to plan either for our direct competitors as, apart from Nick, out of the top six only Lewis Hamilton scored points. Congratulations to Renault and Fernando Alonso for the win in this exciting race.ÔÇØ

Willy Rampf (Technical Director):
ÔÇ£The race start was okay for our drivers. Robert managed to defend his position and Nick gained a place. After that the race went according to plan for both cars and they were able to open a gap over the cars behind. However, then the first safety car period ruined Robert's race completely. We had to refuel although the pit lane was still closed. The penalty dropped Robert into a hopeless position at the end of the field - and this on a circuit where anyway you can hardly overtake. In the end Nick scored three points, so this means we have still scored championship points in every Grand Prix this year.ÔÇØ

382093267_8s5ck-L.jpg

Just some random thoughts on F1 while watching the Packers is driving me crazy.

382090077_fPEjf-L.jpg

Pit Stops and Penalties

Pit stops were put in to make races more exciting. F1 races were parades for many years as it became more and more difficult to pass on the track. Pit stops were intended to mix the grid up during the race put strategy in and as a result make it more exciting for the fan.

Thank you F1. They have brought strategy back to the track. Robert KubicaÔÇÖs podium finish at Monza was in very large part due to pit strategy. This week Alonso and Reanualt made a brilliant move to start on soft tires, short the first fuel run and as a result bring home a win. It is fun to see how teams will work fueling and required tire changes into their strategies.

What we do not want to see is someone killed during fueling. High pressure fueling, in terms of both hose pressure and speed demands, are going to kill a pit crew member if this is not addressed soon. F1 is known for high technology. The technology currently being applied to pit stops is not improving things. F1 and the FIA have to get control of this before they kill someone due to lack of action. The teams are culpable in this, yet the rules were made to protect the interest in and resulting revenue from F1 racing. The teams are making the best of the current situation that F1 and the FIA have created.

Safety Car Deployment and the need to pit must be better managed by the rules of F1. Too many races this season have had results for various teams impacted by this.

The initial fuel load determined in qualifying. The Q3 starting fuel load locks the tanks for the top ten at that time. This load must cover qualifying and first leg of the race. An adjustment needs to be made in either the qualifying/race fuel load procedures or for the first deployment of the safety car.

The penalties for the pit violations have been staggering for race results in the way they are applied. In most races it takes the penalized driver out of the competition. That was the case once again for BMW and Robert Kubica. With the exception of Alonso everyone who finished behind Rosberg could well be upset. Rosberg and Williams-Toyota gained an advantage in pitting then were able to consolidate that position in the way they were able to gain interval by being in P1 and running away from the rest of the field.

Bottom line for me F1 is your effort to bring strategy into races is going to bring tragedy. Find a way to avoid the tragedy and fewer and fewer penalties will be issues in determining race results.

382075259_AH8yu-L.jpg

BMW Sauber ÔÇô Racing in 2008 or Building for 2009

The reality is in the second half of the season every team must do both. Some of the teamÔÇÖs resources must be deployed to the development of next yearÔÇÖs car. The first race is so important. You can not casually give up points in either the constructors or drivers championships. At the same time how do you manage for the current season?

RenaultÔÇÖs progress in closing the performance gap between it and BMW Sauber may be coming at some cost to their 2009 season. Wins help secure sponsors, solidify contracts and the willingness of corporate boards to expend the money Renault must in order to race and develop engines.

BMW Sauber has struck a politically correct kind of solution that has real potential to stink up the house.

The Drivers Championship ÔÇô
Kubica in third is upset at the balance of support within the team. Heidfeld is still in fifth but frankly in the second half of the season has not seemed to contribute out of brilliance but out of luck. Resources are supposedly split evenly between the two. At this point in the season why not push your front horse.

Constructors Championship ÔÇô
BMW is secure in third. Yet there is no reason that with a strong commitment to the 2008 season they could not be in second place. They have not found what it takes to move them to the next level.

Develop for 2009 ÔÇô
Part of every team from the top of the P1 to P20 is in the process of developing their 2009 car. In the case of Force India your strategy is to do what it takes to field a car this year but all development is focused on the 2009 car. The top level teams, in this era insert Ferrari and McLaren, find ways to manage these two championship hunts and develop their 2009 car.

BMW has not managed the driver championship. Kubica is at the point of turning into a bitter prima dona. He was taken in tow by management going into this weekend with mixed results at best. Heidfled is reaching his useful end within the team. He has not been signed for next season. Why not see if you can move Kubica up in this championship and help set his attitude early for next season by shifting resources in that direction?

We will not know until the 2009 car is revealed and raced if the proper balance has been struck between racing for the current season and developing for the next.

Fans are fickle. They root, boo and analyze for what is in front of them at any given moment.

Drivers race the hardware they have in the season they are in.

Team management and owners are the only group that constantly has one foot in the present while stepping forward into and defining the future. At this juncture I am a bit dubious that step is going to take BMW Sauber to the next level in 2009.

382091404_XLsDs-L.jpg

The way things look in the future or just a cool picture from Singapore 2008?

Good Morning Mika,
Thank you once again for your posts on yesterday's Singapore F-1. Excellent work. I appreciate the fact that you spend a lot of time getting this to those of us who are F-1 fans.
Thanks also for your suggestions on F-1 sites on the web.
Please keep up the great work.
Regards,
Lee of leeines:wave

BMW Sauber F1 Team - Japanese GP - Preview

10-03-2008 Press Release
10th ÔÇô 12th October 2008
16th of 18 World Championship races

Munich/Hinwil, 3rd October 2008. The mountain calls. Following the night race in Singapore ÔÇô as glamorous as the BMW Sauber F1 TeamÔÇÖs points haul was modest ÔÇô Formula One now heads for the Japanese Alps to race at the foot of the sacred volcano of Mount Fuji.

There are still three races on the agenda, including the Japanese Grand Prix on 12th October. Rarely has a season proved as diverse and unpredictable as this one. The battle for the top places in the World Championship rankings is about to enter its decisive phase.

Nick Heidfeld:
ÔÇ£Firstly, IÔÇÖm hoping Fuji wonÔÇÖt bring the kind of torrential rain we had in 2007. Basically I enjoy driving in the rain, but with last yearÔÇÖs deluge it was just impossible. Visibility was zero, which led to a number of collisions. Somebody drove into my car as well and damaged it. Even so, shortly before the end I was in sixth place, but then an engine problem put me out of the race.

ÔÇ£ItÔÇÖs a fun circuit. There are lots of uphill and downhill gradients and several blind corners. But IÔÇÖm a bit hard on it as Suzuka was always my favourite GP track. One feature of the Fuji circuit that stands out is its extremely long straight.

ÔÇ£ItÔÇÖs a beautiful landscape, and the road from the hotel to the track could serve as an excellent rally special stage. I hope Mount Fuji is going to show its face again. Overall there doesnÔÇÖt seem to be much going on in the area, but thatÔÇÖs fine after all the hustle and bustle of Singapore.ÔÇØ

Robert Kubica:
ÔÇ£This season we go to Fuji for the second year in a row. I guess everybody remembers last yearÔÇÖs Japanese Grand Prix as the weather conditions were crazy. It was extremely wet and visibility was poor. From a driverÔÇÖs perspective the track is very interesting. There are some challenging corners with different radii and also some blind corners. Under dry conditions it was very enjoyable to drive, although the last sector is quite slow as there are a lot of tight corners.

ÔÇ£As always in Japan, I think the fans will bring a unique atmosphere to the Formula One track. Usually they come to the track early in the morning and leave it after us.ÔÇØ

Mario Theissen, BMW Motorsport Director:
ÔÇ£The spectacular night-race premiere in Singapore is over. For the next two races we will be stopping off in Asia as well, first in Japan and just a week later in China. Some team members flew back to Munich and Hinwil from Singapore, while others stayed on in Asia for a few daysÔÇÖ relaxation. Others, in turn, are travelling to South Korea, where Nick will be doing some demo drives with the Formula One car on Saturday and Sunday.

ÔÇ£The Fuji Speedway celebrated its successful comeback to the F1 calendar in 2007. The circuit is in a picturesque setting in the Japanese Alps, against the backdrop of Mount Fuji that rises majestically behind it. Last year, however, the sacred mountain could only be seen on Friday, and in the sunshine it was the most photographed view. Unfortunately, it then disappeared behind a thick wall of fog and rain and was never seen again. The weather had a profound impact on the entire race weekend in 2007.

ÔÇ£After our unlucky experience with the Safety Car regulations in Singapore ÔÇô the second time this season ÔÇô which lost us important points, we aim to make up for lost ground in Japan. In the DriversÔÇÖ and ConstructorsÔÇÖ Championships the leaders are bunched close together, which promises plenty of excitement for the remaining races.ÔÇØ

Willy Rampf, Technical Director:
ÔÇ£After the spectacular night race in Singapore, Formula One will be returning to normality in Fuji. Last year was our first race there, though it was dominated by a very wet track. But we still managed to gather some information in terms of the car set-up.

ÔÇ£At around 1.5 kilometres, Fuji boasts the longest genuine straight of any Grand Prix circuit. It means there are real overtaking opportunities. At the same time, the medium-fast and fast turns require plenty of downforce, which calls for a compromise in the aero set-up. In Fuji we drive with medium downforce, comparable to Valencia. Bridgestone supplies the two medium tyre compounds, which shouldnÔÇÖt pose us any major problems.

ÔÇ£After SingaporeÔÇÖs turbulent race, where the Safety Car phase threw a spanner into the works, we want to achieve a strong points haul with both cars in Japan.ÔÇØ

History and background:

The Fuji race track opened its gates in 1966. It has already hosted Formula One races in 1976 and 1977, and even then became notorious for its rain. At the start of the 1976 GP ÔÇô the closing race of the season ÔÇô the rain was bucketing down. Aquaplaning forced defending champion Niki Lauda to park his Ferrari in the pits after just two laps. Mario Andretti went on to win the race, and James Hunt was crowned World Champion with a single-point lead.

In 2005 the complex was given a complete overhaul in order to meet the Formula One standards set out by the FIA. 2007 saw the return of Formula One to the Fuji circuit. As of 2009, the Japanese Grand Prix is to be held alternately in Suzuka and Fuji.

The Speedway takes its name from Fujiyama or Fuji-san, as the mountain is more commonly known today. Both ÔÇ£yamaÔÇØ and ÔÇ£sanÔÇØ can mean ÔÇ£mountainÔÇØ, depending on whether one follows Kunyomi or Onyomi pronunciation.

The composite volcano rising to a height of 3,776 metres above sea level is JapanÔÇÖs tallest mountain. Its rock is dated 100,000 years old. Not only is the volcano a highly popular photo opportunity, it is still active, though classified as harmless. The last eruption was recorded in 1707.

Mount Fuji is in the Japanese Alps on the main island of Honshu. Its summit marks the border between Yamanashi and Shizuoka Prefectures. Geologically, the volcano is located where the Eurasian, Pacific and Philippine plates meet.

Thanks to its gently sloping contours, it is relatively easy to climb. The first to do so was a Japanese monk in the year 663. Today such an expedition has lost any trace of exclusivity, with thousands of people congregating at its peak in summer.

2008%20FORMULA%201%20Fuji%20Television%20Japanese%20Grand%20Prix%20(Fuji%20Speedway).gif

BMW Sauber F1 Team driver Nick Heidfeld stages a first in South Korea

10-04-2008 Press Release
Formula One demonstrations in Seoul and Gwang-ju.

Seoul (KR), 4th October 2008. The BMW Sauber F1 Team marked a rather special debut in South Korea on Saturday when Nick Heidfeld became the first Formula One driver ever to clock up mileage in an F1 car in South KoreaÔÇÖs capital, Seoul. Along a closed-off section in the Samsung-dong area of the city, the German racing driver was cheered by an estimated 20,000 spectators who had come to watch his demo drive.

On Sunday, the BMW Sauber F1 Team will be putting on another show in Gwang-ju. This city lies in the South Korean province of Jeollanam-do, where there are plans to host a Formula One race in the future. From there, Heidfeld will continue on to Japan for the Grand Prix to be held in Fuji on 12th October.

In Seoul, Heidfeld blasted up and down a half-kilometre strip five times, leaving behind lingering smoke clouds after each scorching U-turn. ÔÇ£It was great fun, particularly as weÔÇÖre not allowed to do any donuts on the race tracks,ÔÇØ said the man from M?Ânchengladbach. ÔÇ£And the spectators seemed to enjoy the show as well. I just love the sheer enthusiasm of the Asians. South Korea was unknown territory for me, but the delight of the fans, who were literally squealing, is just as evident here as in Japan, our next stop.ÔÇØ

The event was staged on the initiative of the Korea Auto Valley Operation (KAVO). KAVO is a joint venture between the government of Jeollanam-do Province and the promoter M-Bridge Holdings. The circuit plans were presented at a press conference.

Kubica and Heidfled again in 2009 for BMW

From the team web site

The BMW Sauber F1 Team will line up with drivers Robert Kubica and Nick Heidfeld once again in 2009.

The BMW Sauber F1 Team has opted for continuity and will once again line up with Poland's Robert Kubica and Germany's Nick Heidfeld as its race drivers in the 2009 season. The Austrian Christian Klien will remain the team's test and reserve driver.

"We see Nick and Robert as a strong driver pairing and Christian as an experienced test driver. We are in no doubt that we will again achieve our ambitious aims with them in the team's fourth year," explains BMW Motorsport Director Mario Theissen.

The Circus is not coming to the NA continent in revised 2009 calendar

On Tuesday Formula One racingÔÇÖs governing body, the FIA, released an amended calendar for the 2009 world championship. A provisional schedule was released in June.

The revised calendar sees the Turkish Grand Prix changing from its original August slot to a June date, while the Canadian race has been dropped. In another revision, the Italian and Belgian races have swapped positions, with the Spa event now taking place on August 30, a fortnight before the Italian Grand Prix at Monza on September 13.

The 18-race championship will reach its finale in mid November with the inaugural Abu Dhabi race.

The revised 2009 calendar in full:
29 March Australia
5 April Malaysia
19 April Bahrain
10 May Spain
24 May Monaco
7 June Turkey
21 June Great Britain
28 June France
12 July Germany
26 July Hungary
23 August Europe (Valencia)
30 August Belgium
13 September Italy
27 September Singapore
11 October Japan
18 October China
1 November Brazil
15 November Abu Dhabi

paddocktalk.com: BMW Explains Heidfeld decision

Silly Season Part Ii

Or
F1 2009 Begins

BMW Sauber F1 Team: Results - 2008.
09-30-2008

That is where the press release appeared to end. At first glance I wondered what was up with this. I clicked on a link and found the chart below and still wondered what was up. I have come to the following conclusion; this is the BMWs first public shot fired for the 2009 F1 Championship series.

Formula 1 fans are familiar with ÔÇÿThe Silly SeasonÔÇÖ. Its main element is driver contracts. Who will drive for what team in the next season? While the current championship series are fought there is a growing interest in contracts for drivers for the next season. Race results are interpreted in terms of what the implications are for a driverÔÇÖs current ride or where he could go in the coming year. We often miss or are not exposed to the meaning of the second silly season; Sponsor Season.

Rumors slide under the radar. Will a major sponsor for McLaren move to Ferrari in the coming season? We may glance at such articles but for the most part race fans pass them over and focus on the titles at hand and root for their favorite team or driver.

The Silly Season has other implications. For the technicians, engineers and developers they must decide on a balance between development of the current car within the current rules and the next seasonÔÇÖs car and rules. Management gets involved in the game of poker that we know as driver contracts while doing its part in the balance between the seasons.

There is a second Silly Season. This is the Sponsor Season. The BWM Sauber F1 car is not dripping with sponsor logos like some other race series cars are. However; the people who pay to have their names placed on it pay a pretty penny for the space.

There is no doubt that any F1 team owner pumps a lot of their money into the team. Yet the ability to generate sponsor money has a huge impact on the teamÔÇÖs ability to compete. BMW Sauber F1 is not immune from this despite the BWM part of the name. No matter how brilliant the plans are for the next seasons race car are if the money is not there to take it from paper to the wind tunnel then the track they are useless.

To secure the loyalty of current sponsors and attract new sponsors in addition or to replace ones lost this looks like the first public glimpse into the beginning of the 2009 season for BMW Sauber F1.

Gentlemen Start Your Contract Pens!

389552226_eRTWp-L.jpg

BMW Sauber F1 Team - Japanese GP - Practice
10-10-2008 Press Release
Weather: dry, sunny in the morning, overcast in the afternoon, 21-28??C Air, 29-31??C Track

Fuji (JP). Both the BMW Sauber F1 Team drivers completed their usual programme during the first free practice sessions in preparation for the 2008 Japanese Grand Prix in Fuji, which basically is tyre comparison and set-up work.

Robert Kubica:
1st Practice: 8th, 1:20.160 min / 2nd Practice: 11th, 1:18.865 min
“It was a normal Friday. We did some set-up work in the morning, and concentrated on the tyre evaluation in the afternoon. I really enjoyed driving on this track, as it’s demanding and fun at the same time. The balance of the car is quite okay, but we are lacking overall grip.”

Nick Heidfeld:
1st Practice: 14th, 1:20.628 min / 2nd Practice: 19th, 1:19.894 min
“My first day of practice didn’t go too smoothly this time. I’m not happy with the balance of the car yet, it is sliding too much. Because of this in the first session I spun once, which seldom happens to me. Also, which is exceptional for us, in the second session I had minor technical problems. First the brake balance adjuster in the cockpit came loose, and shortly before the end of the session we had a hydraulic alarm and I came into the pit. There were only three minutes left, so it wasn’t worth going out again. However, I didn’t really loose track time and it’s only Friday. I’m totally confident we shall improve for tomorrow.”

“That was a full Friday. The track was in a good condition right from the beginning so we were able to start our set-up work early on. As usual, we concentrated on set-up and tyre comparison. The long-runs were satisfying. At the end of the second session Nick had a hydraulic alarm, so we are now investigating the reason for this.”

From Formula1.com

FIA Friday press conference - Drivers

FIA Friday press conference - Managers

fia.com: Grand
Prix of Japan.

I am sorry I have not published this sites information in the past. For old hands this post will cover well known territory. For the rest I hope it helps you understand a bit more of what is going on during practice, qualifying and the race. It is the information the race announcers use to set themselves up to do the commentary.

The track map is rich with makers. Understanding the Key to the makers will help you make sense of these.

The track each track is divided into three sectors with independent timing set up for each. Sector times give an indication of how the car set up is working and gives a glimpse into each teams track strategy in the attempt to arrive at the best overall lap time for their car.

Friday practice is the setup day and lap and sector times while important are really just setting the base line for Saturday.

SaturdayÔÇÖs practice will reflect changes made based on FridayÔÇÖs data. There will be setup changes during and after this practice.

Beyond the obvious importance of Qualifying, a comparison of sector times within and between teams will give you an indication of were the ÔÇ£on track battlesÔÇØ may take place.

The most important box to understand is the Pit Stop Schedule. This is the link between qualifying and the race. It helps you separate the sprints from the others. This holds true even within the various pit stop strategies.

Remember that in Q3, unlike Q1 and 2, cars go out with the fuel load to qualify and that they will start the race with. The added weight of the latter explains why the times in Q3 are normally slower than Q2.

In each of the pit stop strategies there is ÔÇÿwindowÔÇÖ of laps. When a car pits within these windows gives an indication of where the car plans their sprint to the front.

In a multi stop strategy the first teams in during a window are the early sprinters. The standard interpretation is they want to build laps and separation early in the race and defend that advantage in the end. The teams on the same stop number strategy but pitting latter in the window are setting themselves up for a sprint at the finish.

The wild card in pit stop strategies is the cars and teams that adopt a strategy out of sink with the norm. A team that qualified poorly could adopt a one stop strategy while everyone else is on a two stop plan. They will have to accept being a mid pack car for most of the race, manage their tire wear with a two fold purpose. They will gain track position when the other teams are in the pits for their extra stop and in the process set themselves up for a sprint for position at the end of the race.

There is more that may be gleaned from this page and the FIA site, but I will leave it to you to decide what is important and helpful.

Hamilton takes his 7th pole.

Massa is in P5

Kubica P6

Heidfeld did not make it out of Q1 and is starting 16th.

The BMWs did not look fast in any of the sessions.

It rained overnight in Japan leaving green and damp track at the beginning of practice. Once again rain held off and the track dried during the session. BMW may have been caught going with a damp car setup while others went for a dry.

Heidfeld has better best sector times than his teammate but was not able to put an entire lap that would move him out of Q3. Kubica went to Q1 but the best position he could attain in any session was a fourth midway through Q2.

The car seems to be suffering from set issues both in aerodynamics and gear selection. The overnight rain may have led to the wrong setup selection which is frozen in for the race. BMW fans should hope for a wet track.

As you watch the race, look for different pit strategies for the two drivers. Heidfeld will probably be on a one stop strategy. Kubica most likely will be on a two stopper and may be starting with a heavier load than the others. The hope here would be to hope for problems for the leaders while setting him up to push at the end. The car just does not have it in it to sprint from the start.

If it rains forget everything I said. Here is what the team press release has to say about qualifying.

BMW Sauber F1 Team - Japanese GP - Qualifying
10-11-2008 Press Release
Weather: wet in the morning, dry for qualifying, 20-24??C Air, 22-25??C Track

Fuji (JP). While Robert Kubica came sixth in qualifying for the Japanese Grand Prix, Nick Heidfeld just missed getting into Q2 when he was 16th in Q1. In hindsight, the decision to stay on the harder tyre compound for his second run in Q1 was too big a risk for him.

Robert Kubica:
Qualifying 6th, 1:18.979 min (3rd Practice: 1st, 1:25.087 min)
ÔÇ£Yesterday we were struggling with low grip, so the rain last night and this morning definitely didnÔÇÖt help us as it washed away the rubber. The balance of the car was fine, but it was just lacking grip. I tried everything I could, and this was the best I could manage. Sixth is not bad under the circumstances.ÔÇØ

Nick Heidfeld:
Qualifying 16th, 1.18,835 min in Q1 (3. Training: 4th, 1.25,474 min)
ÔÇ£Now we know it was the wrong decision to stay on the harder tyre compound for the second outing in Q1. After my initial run on the first set of those tyres, I knew I could improve on the Prime tyres, so we took the risk and put on another set. I actually did improve, I was about half a second quicker, but still it wasnÔÇÖt enough and I missed Q2 by one tenth of a second. Robert just made it. Of course from so far back on the grid it will be very difficult to do something in the race. But we have seen everything happen in Formula One and I shall never give up.ÔÇØ

ÔÇ£Qualifying didnÔÇÖt go as we hoped it would. The main reason was we estimated incorrectly how the track conditions would improve, and their influence on the tyres in Q1. We sent both drivers out twice on the harder compound, while others were already changing to the softer tyres. The unexpected big difference between both compounds left us in the situation where Robert just made it into Q2 and Nick didnÔÇÖt. In the remaining qualifying sessions Robert put in the performance we were expecting and was 6th.ÔÇØ

ÔÇ£The most difficult part of today was the first session of qualifying, during which we planned to use the harder of the two tyre compounds. We wanted to have enough sets of the softer one for the remainder of qualifying and for the race. This decision cost Nick a place in Q2. It will be difficult to score points from 16th. RobertÔÇÖs performance was strong and he managed to clinch sixth. This was what we realistically expected.ÔÇØ

Japanese GP Slideshow

391218974_aps7L-M.jpg

391229762_GV5XZ-M.jpg

391230425_YtxM4-M.jpg

Green strips indicate the third optional compound for this race.

Japanese GP - Race final

Alonso wins the Japanese GP
Kubica a well deserved second
Raikkonen third.

Heidfeld finished a dismal 10 in an unimpressive effort motoring his BMW Sauber around on a one pit stop strategy.

A disastrous race for McLaren. Hamilton finished in 12th just short of being one lap down. KovalainenÔÇÖs engine blew up on the 51st lap.

The race was thrown into mass confusion in turn 1 on the first lap. Raikkonen had a good start jumping Hamilton only to have Hamilton and Kovalainen run both Ferraris wide and overtaking. Raikkonen quickly cycled back to P7. In the mess Kubica was able to squirt through and take the lead with Alonso in P2.

This was the case through the first pit stop. Kubica was not able to open any lead on Alonso who consistently held P2 only about a second and a half behind.

Kubica was first into the pits and took on a heavy load. Alonso stayed out and set a race fast lap and then dove into the pits and took a significantly lighter load ÔÇô estimated at a 5 lap lighter load and returned to the race ahead of Kubica.

The spread between Alonso and Kubica grew slowly as they cycled forward as other teams began making pit stops. When Alonso finally cycled back into the lead he, by nature and at the urging of his team, started to add to his lead building it to 13.2 seconds at one point.

In this middle stage Kubica was running a car that should not have been in P2 very hard and yet in a very contained way. Raikkonen in P3 seemed to be willing to just motor on without really pressing the BMW. Perhaps he expected to find himself in P2 after the final set of pit stops. It did not work out that way.

Alonso remained in P1 after the final stops. Kubica pitted before the Ferrari and was able to get ahead of Raikkonen and reclaim P2 as Raikkonen exited the pits. This set up several laps of great racing to watch. Hard fought clean racing for position which in the end had Kubica defending well and running the tires off the Ferrari in the process.

Heidfeld who mathematically was still in the championship hunt is no longer. Heidfeld ran a one stop race that can be best described as busing the car to 12th. At one point he could not separate himself from Barrichello who was also running a one stop strategy and Barrichello had the slowest lap time of the race during this period.

What was BMW thinking when they resigned him?

HamiltonÔÇÖs race was worse than HeidfeldÔÇÖs. He came into the pits on lap 2 as a result of the incident in turn 1. He would latter serve a drive through penalty for his part in that incident. He suffered a NASCAR style bump from Massa that spun him out at on lap 18. It was only in the final laps that he was able to unlap himself.

Coulthard was the first DNF of the race with suspension failure on lap 1that damaged NakajimaÔÇÖs car sending him to the pits for a tires and a new nose.

Fischella had a rear tire come apart on lap 45 and retired.

KovalainenÔÇÖs engine blew on lap 51.

Sutil retired on lap 59.

Glock was looking strong then had problems that sent

Ferrari regains the constructor lead.

The drivers championship is still up for grabs. Massa is under investigation for an overtaking infraction and may be dropped 10 grid positions as a penalty in China. Kubica made up a good deal of ground sitting in third after this race.

The ConstructorÔÇÖs Championship is what disappoints me. There is no reason that BMW should be sitting back in third instead of in a very tight fight for first. It is disappointing that the team is not able to do better.

Pictures, standings and other things latter today. I am off to bed.

Massa set race fast lap and established the new track record.
391962215_7Absb-M.jpg

392156009_qc3bg-L.jpg

Slide Show: Japanese GP

BMW Sauber F1 Team - Japanese GP - Race
10-12-2008 Press Release
Weather: Dry but overcast, Air: 16-17??C, Track: 21-22??C

Fuji (JP). In the Japanese Grand Prix the BMW Sauber F1 Team claimed its eleventh podium of the 2008 season. Robert Kubica finished second in Fuji, coming from sixth on the grid. It is the seventh podium for the Pole this year and his third second place. Nick Heidfeld, who started from 16th, improved to tenth in the dramatic race, which saw the championship contenders dropping back right after the start. In the ConstructorsÔÇÖ Championship the BMW Sauber F1 Team is third, 13 points behind leader Ferrari.

Robert Kubica: 2nd
Fastest Lap: 1:19.292 min on lap 16 (7th fastest overall)
ÔÇ£My start was good but the clutch slipped a little, therefore Jarno Trulli was able to pass me on the straight. I then decided to take the inside line and braked very late, too late actually and I locked the front wheels. But then everybody went wide while I was more or less able to keep my line, and after the second corner I was in front. I then tried to pull away, but I couldnÔÇÖt. My tyres were graining and I lost time, particularly in the last sector. I was pushing as hard as I could, but after the pit stop, Fernando Alonso was in front of me and I was not able to match his pace. At the beginning of the final stint the tyres were graining heavily and my lap times were slow, so I came under strong pressure from Kimi R?ñikk?Ânen and we had a great fight. At one point he was beside me in corner two, but I was on the inside, just didnÔÇÖt back off and was able to keep him behind. After a few laps the graining went away and I was able to run at my normal pace. ItÔÇÖs a great result for the whole team at a time when it is not easy. We have been struggling a little bit recently and we were under pressure from some teams, so this second place is a real boost for our morale. Now we have nothing to lose, but everything is possible.ÔÇØ

Nick Heidfeld: 10th
Fastest Lap: 1:19.461 min on lap 67 (8th fastest overall)
ÔÇ£Compared to the Williams cars in front of me, my start was okay, but the Hondas behind got off the grid even better. There was an awful lot of traffic in the first corner and I was lucky to get through all the hassle. For me the nicest moment of the race was certainly when I managed to overtake two cars at the same time on lap four. I was on a one stop strategy and, as well as that, the second last one-stopper to pit. It was not easy to handle the heavy car. Now IÔÇÖm looking forward to next weekendÔÇÖs race in Shanghai where we should do better in qualifying.ÔÇ£

ÔÇ£This was a really strong performance from Robert. In the first corner chaos after the start he took the lead. Later in the race he had to let Fernando Alonso go, but defended successfully against Kimi R?ñikk?Ânen. It was our teamÔÇÖs eleventh podium of the season, and Robert has now been on the podium seven times in 2008. Nick also did a good job by improving from 16th to tenth, but couldnÔÇÖt score points today. We are now looking forward to exciting final races in China and Brazil.ÔÇØ

ÔÇØContrary to all the prophecies, this was an exciting race. Robert had the best result at the start as he managed to take the lead, thanks to a little bit of luck and lots of guts. He was in the lead until the first pit stops, but after that we werenÔÇÖt able to match the pace of Fernando Alonso. In the third stint Robert defended his position from the attacks by Kimi R?ñikk?Ânen in a clever and fair way, and claimed his well earned seventh podium of the season. That was really a brilliant performance by Robert. Nick managed to move up to tenth with a one-stop-strategy, but unfortunately, because of coming from 16th on the gird, more than this was not possible.ÔÇØ

formula1.com: Alonso makes it two wins in a row.

formula1.com: FIA post race press conference

formula1.com: Penalties put Hamilton and Massa out of race contention

formula1.com: Selected driver quotes

Good for Fred, GREAT result for Robert! Kimi, true-to-form-as-late, had it, then lost it. I think his claims that the car was "damaged" by both the McLarens is ... specious.

Pretty enjoyable race. I fell asleep right before the last round of pit-stops, but watched the end as soon as I got up this morning. Thank you, DVR!!!

Thanks, M1ka, for doing all the work to keep this thread pumping. Only two more races. :(

Grand Prix of China

This is the second half of back to back race weekends for the F1 Cirucus.

fia.com: The track and a variety of information from the FIA are here. formula1.com: has its version with a bit easier to understand lay out of sectors here.

BMW Sauber F1 Team - Chinese GP - Preview
10-12-2008 Press Release
17th – 19th October 2008
17th of 18 World Championship races

Munich/Hinwil, 12th October 2008. The Asian leg of the Formula One season continues with the penultimate round of the 18-race World Championship in Shanghai this coming Sunday, 19th October.

Nick Heidfeld:
“On the whole, I quite like this circuit. The first three corners are among the best on the calendar. You come in with a lot of speed, and the first corner remains pretty fast initially. But then it tightens up more and more and you have to change down into second gear. Getting out the other end in good shape will be just a bit more difficult this year with the absence of traction control. Every time you come here you’re impressed by the huge scale of the paddock and grandstands; there’s nothing else like it. Last year I got unlucky with the timing of a tyre change onto a fresh set of wets. Second place was possible, but that turned into seventh when I had to come in for an extra stop.

Shanghai will be the fifth Asian city in a row I’ve visited – after Singapore, Seoul, Gwang-ju and Tokyo – and each one is different. Shanghai is certainly the fastest-growing and without doubt the one with the worst traffic conditions. Each time we come to Shanghai there are new skyscrapers, but every year a few of the old districts also disappear from the city centre.”

Robert Kubica:
“Shanghai is an interesting circuit with a very long straight, and here there’s a good chance to overtake. The track offers a mixture of very different corners; there are some slow areas but also several fast sections. The first corner is particularly challenging. You stay on the brakes for a long time, and then it quickly switches into a left-hander. I haven’t had much luck at this circuit so far. I hope that changes this time and I can pick up some important points for the World Championship.”

Mario Theissen, BMW Motorsport Director:
“Just a week after the race in Japan we travel to China for the second part of this Asian double-header. This means we will have had five races on this continent this year. If you add the Turkish Grand Prix, that means there are six GPs in Asia – a third of the season. Plus, next year will also see the first visit of Formula One to Abu Dhabi. All of which shows that the top category of motor racing has established a major foothold in Asia.

Shanghai has developed dramatically as a business centre and China is a future market with significant growth potential. From the point of view of BMW and our partners, the race in Shanghai is therefore of particular importance. BMW has operated its own production facility in China since 2004, where the BMW 3 Series and BMW 5 Series models are made.

This will be the fifth time that Formula One comes to China. The scale of the facility in Shanghai is beyond any other venue on the calendar and the track layout is a tough challenge. We are very much looking forward to the penultimate race of the season.”

Willy Rampf, Technical Director:
“The track in Shanghai stands out with its very special layout. A particularly interesting section is the double right-hander, double left-hander combination at the end of the start-finish straight. The drivers approach it with a lot of speed and then stay on the brakes for a long time on the entry. This is a very unusual section, which places heavy demands on the tyres.

The long straight offers a good overtaking opportunity, as it feeds into a hairpin and the track is very wide at this point, allowing the drivers to take two different lines. The combination of widely contrasting corners demands a high level of aerodynamic efficiency. With the tyres put under such heavy loads we use the hardest Bridgestone compounds here.”

History and background:
Formula One has been coming to China since 2004. The Shanghai circuit, built on reclaimed marshland, is located outside the booming metropolis. The driving time through the chaotic traffic from the city centre to the track is difficult to calculate.

The circuit designers were keen to bring a local flavour to both the track layout and the design of the overall circuit. The layout is based on the Chinese character “Shang”, which translates as “high” or “above”, and the massive pit buildings and grandstands emulate traditional Chinese design features.

Shanghai lies on the vast Yangtze Delta where the river drains into the East China Sea. Land reclamation is allowing the municipal area to grow steadily. As with most of these huge cities, population estimates fluctuate widely. Ten million people in the municipal area and another five million in the suburbs offers a reasonable indication.

Today’s Hype – From BMW and others

reuters.com: I can still do a Kimi, says upbeat Kubica

hondaracingf1.com: Realistic expectations for Chinese GP

Toyota-f1.com: Chinese Grand Prix – Preview

lewishamilton.com: Post Japan q&a

Technical

A look a some of the technical developments made to various cars for Japan. Many of these will carry over to China. The Toro Rosso piece is an example of teams looking at the competition and developing a version to their needs.

Ferrari 2008 – rear suspension development

Renault R28 – revised sidepods

Williams FW30 – rear wing development

Toro Rosso STR3 – nosecone delta winglets

So . . . the question is . . . is Lewis Hamilton going to throw away the F1 world championship in the final races for two years in a row?

So . . . the question is . . . is Lewis Hamilton going to throw away the F1 world championship in the final races for two years in a row?
< snicker >

I think Massa is in the best position for a strong finish. Perhaps Kimi and Fred will switch seats for '09.

I don't think we will ever know.

I lost track of the engine change cycle and wild cards. My bet is Hamilton blows an engine in either China or Brazil. As a result no clear answer to the question.

If he does not win this year I believe he will be in the hunt for the driver to win the most Grand Prixs and never win a championship, assmuming his career lasts long enough.

hondaf1racing.com: Shanghai in detail

crash.net: Champions fear for ÔÇÿriskyÔÇÖ Hamilton

autosport.com: Theissen insists BMW can win titles.
Theissen is correct in the thinking that BMW can compete for titles.

Kubica has a dark horse chance at the driverÔÇÖs championship. Given the capacity of Hamilton and Massa to become caught up in the heat of the moment and take themselves out it may not be as dark a chance as one may think.

f1-live.com: Barrichello to test IndyCar

f1complete.com: Ferrari struggling with 2009 development

planet-f1.com: FOTA steps up campaign to revamp F1

formula1.comÔÇÖs technical section continues its debriefing of changes made by teams for the Japanese GP. Today it is the Toyota TF108 ÔÇôrevised rear wing.

Formula1.com: Japanese Grand Prix ÔÇô you decide
The video is a slow load. In an unusual move Formula 1 is posting the video of the turn one incident from all angles, the Massa punt of Hamilton and Bourdais penalty. These include long range views and in car video.

Could this cause a shuffle in the schedule for ÔÇÖ09 that puts Canada back on the schedule? Or, as one blogger suggested is it only another sign of F1 greed killing a GP?

grandprix.com: French GP cancelled!

Back